Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 4: Nurburgring Chat

Author Topic: Round 4: Nurburgring Chat  (Read 60828 times)

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Round 4: Nurburgring Chat
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2014, 10:56:22 PM »
Managed to grab a PB to qualify 2nd on the grid which is my best so far!
R1:  Once again the game put me in the pits to start.  I thought thats it I'm going to come out last but to my surprise I popped out in P1, so all a bit weird.  From there i had Bird chasing hard for a couple of laps until suddenly as we braked into T1 I copped an almighty hit from behind (thought u must have missed your brakes).  Anyhow we got going again and surprisingly only losing one spot. Pushed on from there to get home 2nd or 3rd.
R2:  Finally started on the grid.  Got away in 2nd and had Wally close behind.  We battled for a few laps until Wally tagged the rear of me and we both went around.  Again, we got going without really losing any spots.  From there I had a bit of a gap so eased off slightly to preserve tyres but in the dying laps Wally was back and with tyres starting to fade there was nothing in it to the line. 
Best results so far for me and some good racing.  Well done to Bird....tooo fast!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2014, 11:13:47 PM »
Race Results
Season Standings
Season Statistics

Congratulations to Wally and Ysu on their race wins and Ysu for the round win.
Ysu has taken the season lead, while team TKO Racing takes the team points lead, thanks to their turn in the DTMs.

The individual standings are looking interesting with one round to go, with only 9 points separating 1st to 6th.

Round Points
Ysu   48
Wally   46
Freezer   46
Rob   39
Rolz   38
Guybrush Threepwood   35
Crimespree   35
Darren Marsh   34
Vipergod   32
BJSRacer   30
GWyar   30
Bacchulum   26
Grubbet   24
Phil   23
Glen73   21
cramjet   21
Gratulin   17
Marty   12
Dave O   11
Dick Forrest   11
Jestronix   9
Imperious   5
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:20:16 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2014, 11:50:28 PM »
In race 1, I benefited from Ysu tagging Freezer at T1, and went past to stay in the lead to the end of the race, on Mediums in the DTM.

Race 2 was much more entertaining. I was chasing Freezer, but tagged his rear (was it at the last uphill chicane?). You slowed faster than I anticipated there. That let Rolz past. Then I had a great few laps chasing Rolz's rear bumper, unable to capitalise on his few mistakes, making enough of my own, including a spin at T1 as I tried to simultaneously pass and not run into the rear of his car. Finally he ran wide one corner and I managed to pass. Then it was on to chase Freezer again, rapidly hauling him in as my hard tires were lasting better than his mediums. The last couple of laps on his bumper were intense - I tried to pressure him by dodging left, dodging right, making him watch his mirrors, but he held firm and finished 0.2 secs in front of me. Great race.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2014, 08:36:22 AM »
Thanks guys, a great night of racing.

Race 1:
Started 6th or 7th thanks to the DTM, but unfortunately got hit from behind and got turned around in the T2/3 first lap melee. Lost a few places, gained a few places and by about half distance ended up behind Rolz. He quicker in some places me in others. And that's how it was for the rest of the race. Great close racing. Thanks Rolz, great fun.

Race 2:
Quailed 4th, my best effort so far, but ended up starting from the pits. As Freezer found out in Race 1 it is possible to exit the pits in P1. So I eased out of the pits after the first few cars had passed me tried to merge into the field once I got up to racing speed. Not sure how successful I was and apologies to anybody who suffered from my attempt. As in Race 1 lost a few places, gained a few places until I caught up with Dave G (Bacchulum).

Dave was in a Gr A and I was biding my time to get past him, but anybody who raced Dave in netKar knows he does not make many mistakes. By now I had a few cars on my bumper so had to make a move on Dave. The speed of the DTM allowed me to get inside him on the approach to the uphill chicane, but unfortunately in a cloud of tire smoke I gave him a bit of a door to door bump at the apex. Sorry Dave not my usual style :(

Then in almost an exact copy of Race 1 I had a race to the end but on the bumper of GWyar this time. And like in R1 it was great fun trying to pressure an opponent into a mistake, but like with Rolz in R1, no such luck. Thanks GWyar, great race, great fun!

rob
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:43:52 AM by rob »

Offline SpeedFreak

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2014, 09:10:50 AM »
Sorry I was not on last night ...tried for about 2 hours to get internet running with no luck
Were had new stobie poles put up around the streets yesterday so had no power from 8am to 5pm
So don't know if they cut a phone line or whats happened ....got the shits talking to India Call Centre about it and gave up
hopefully get some answers today

Good to see my team mate up to third  WD Frezzer  ;)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2014, 09:22:56 AM »
I had an awesome race night. Probably my best yet. I expected to be lapped by the major players but in race one I finished on the lead lap! I even finished in front of people!

There was a couple of bumps here and there. I know everyone apologies and it is a bummer but that's racing. I'm still trying to get my head around what is at risk???? You crash, you lose a position. maybe even many positions. that's it. No-one is going to take your birthday off you. You don't have to reach into your wallet to replace car parts.
You might lose some points on the leader board.... and see rival creep ahead.... ok I understand.. There is a lot at risk!  ;)

I hope I never ever get worked up over losing race position caused by crash / spin / mistake. (probably will though lol)
That's racing. I'm here for the excitement, the challenge, the laughs and above all, fun with a group of like minded people.
I get excited in 17-16th place. Awesome. i crash. It's still awesome. You take away what you learned about the crash and try to apply changes. You take away that softs won't last 9 laps in a DTM. You learn that 30 liters of fuel won't got 11 laps.
You lift up your skirt and pack your handbag and look forward to next lap. and you just get over it. Just keep racing.. If not, do doughnuts in the pits!!

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2014, 09:29:27 AM »
Gents, WRT to starting from pits:
if you know your position well, and it's high enough, then just go right ahead and give those positions slowly back over the course of the 1st lap.  I don't think it's worth trying to slot in right at 4th.  And it's easy enough to take the outside line a couple of times.

If you started from the lower half, then going out in front would be a bit dangerous - you'll be much slower than those around you.  So maybe try to slot in, carefully.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2014, 10:03:15 AM »
I posted a bug /question about starting from the grid in the support forums.

Dick, when you spend time practising, setting up your car, qualifying and then just get punted back in the field, I think you'll see how annoying that can be!

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2014, 10:35:26 AM »

Dick, when you spend time practising, setting up your car, qualifying and then just get punted back in the field, I think you'll see how annoying that can be!

I don't know, maybe I'm too new and innocent. I find those 'annoying' situations more exciting than anything."Am I going to make it through this hairpin 3 cars wide? Is he going to give me room? Is there enough room? or am I going to be in the kitty litter? I find that very exciting. Split second decisions and my whole race is over. Maybe someone else too. That's racing...Am i going about it all wrong?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2014, 10:53:57 AM »
Got home about 8:40 turned on the computer needed to dl updates and all turned on teamspeaks and noticed race was just about to start then I heard it get going and had the pleasure of heraing someones engine well before I made the track so it couldnt have been me with the open mic.  ;).

Race 1 didnt have time to load a setup and just guessed fuel, AC update seemed to reset all my game settings so everything was awkward and I just circulated after starting about 2 minutes late. I tried to stay out of everyone's way as the DTM's and lead group A's caught up. Was too far behind to catch anyone especially as I slowed quite a bit to avoid slowing anyone else.

Race 2 got into qualy still just trying to feel it out started about 12th, had a good start made it into about 8th before the braking at t1 and slowed lots running an outside line. All seemed good then everyone ahead crashed and I got shunted off spinning away to the back of the grid. Rejoined then got hit by another car rejoining the track on turn 3 or 4 so off to another great start and back to dead last again.

Had some glithces and v-sync ws on for some reason and some stutters at times, I just lapped while making some silly errors passed a couple cars after they made mistakes then made more of my own. I felt like just pulling out but figured if I finish the race at least I will get me a dtm for the last race.  ;)

Rolz

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2014, 11:14:42 AM »
top night!

man I really enjoy racing with all u guys... I've got lots to still learn but still fun fun fun!

My starts so far help heaps on gaining places... being a little bit of a drag strip tragic helps I guess...  :P
Qual'd 7/8 and jumped up to 4th both times at the first corner...

Following Freezer and Wally got me to improve my time by over a second... (1min12 something... for me that's honking! ) Was stoked!
If I'd been on mic you would of heard a "woohoo"  ;D

Then my tires went... I'm not kind to them at all... might just have to get used to riding hard tires as medium disintegrated at about 8laps for me...  ::)

Only bummer is RSR has been a bit of a bitch for me recently and I have to exit out of AC and back in a few times before it decides it wants to connect...  :o

thanks all again... see you online next time...  ;D

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2014, 11:53:55 AM »
Good reading, thanks for the race reports... and nice to see the result reshuffle adding to the excitement. 
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2014, 01:05:30 PM »

I don't know, maybe I'm too new and innocent. I find those 'annoying' situations more exciting than anything."Am I going to make it through this hairpin 3 cars wide? Is he going to give me room? Is there enough room? or am I going to be in the kitty litter? I find that very exciting. Split second decisions and my whole race is over. Maybe someone else too. That's racing...Am i going about it all wrong?

Yes.  You are having too much fun :D

But I reckon once you get more competitive, you'll probably get worked up too.  It's the emotional investment - and of course the time invested, too - that gets wiped out instantly.  And that is a bad feeling, trust me.  The more competitive you are, the more it hurts.  There's no winning from the back of the grid (well, maybe if you're Darren...)

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2014, 01:23:07 PM »

Yes.  You are having too much fun :D

But I reckon once you get more competitive, you'll probably get worked up too.  It's the emotional investment - and of course the time invested, too - that gets wiped out instantly.  And that is a bad feeling, trust me.  The more competitive you are, the more it hurts.  There's no winning from the back of the grid (well, maybe if you're Darren...)

You are probably right Bird. As I get more experienced I'll have more at risk. But I hope I keep my feet on the ground and don't lose it, unless it is for comic relief. I don't think I'm a over-competitive person in real life. I would always pass the ball off in football or soccer as opposed to going for self glory.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2014, 01:40:19 PM »

I will try and explain it the best way I can, I think it is fairly obvious we aren't racing for sheep stations, there isnt much ego either once you get to know us and fun is on top of our list, ask a few that have been sim racing for a long time, would they rather a win or to have a awesome race regardless of track position. Most will pick awesome race rather than win, last week I had a great race with Bacchulum, the win was only the icing.

Sure racing door to door through turns is what it is all about, knowing when to back off and give room is the key. If you make a mistake and punt someone off, your not going to be hung and shot but you should readdress that position, While it doesn't rectify the other 10 or 12 positions you have lost, it is a sign of respect and acknowledgement that you have made a mistake, just like in real life we are trying to simulate racing. There is nothing more criminal in sim racing to punt some one off and then the offender drives off into the sunset with out a care. So yes, we drive for that perfect race within ourselves, having someone punt you off ruins that race that you have practise for all week. I have punted people off, I readdress and apologise on TS, because I have accidentally caused an accident which may not only effect that guy, but as we saw last night, possibly the rest of the field. One other I thing I noticed last night were some people that had a off for what ever reason, their track re-entry was really sloppy. Don't become panicked trying to get back on track, it looks bad and never ends well. Your off, suck it up and rejoin safely. You should always re-enter the track in a safe manner instead of causing more carnage.

Your going all right Dick, I went passed you a couple of times and you were nice and predictable in your racing lines which makes it much easier to get pass.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:42:05 PM by Glen73 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal