Xtreme Gaming Network

Fanatec CSL DD

Author Topic: Fanatec CSL DD  (Read 7286 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Fanatec CSL DD
« on: April 22, 2022, 12:37:27 PM »
I've taken the plunge to DD and ordered a Fanatec CSL DD (8 Nm) and McLaren GT3 wheel.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Fanatec CSL DD
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 02:09:27 PM »
Let us know how it goes, my poor old G27 is starting to show signs of the years of abuse  :(

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 02:35:48 PM »
Hey Wally, got mine a few weeks ago. I don't think you will be disappointed, and I doubt you'll ever need anything more powerful, I know I won't, but I guess never say never. But of course I was coming from a G27, so the bar was set pretty low.

I haven't been enjoying racing for a while so my thought process was that a new wheel would be much cheaper than a new pc and much easier to sell if I have lost that love of racing.

Unfortunately my old pc means that I will still miss most XGN races as most 3rd party tracks and cars will still slow down my pc and take away any enjoyment. But on the plus side I am now going though all my historic cars and tracks off line and have never enjoyed AC more.

Hope you enjoy your DD.

rob

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 02:40:57 PM »
Good to hear, Rob. We miss you on Tuesdays :(

I expect to be 3 seconds a lap faster ;)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 03:16:27 PM »
Yeah I miss Tuesdays too (and Thursdays of course), but being uncompetitive because of really low FPS really sucks. It just saps the joy out of racing.

I don't think the wheel has made me any faster (well at least not any slower) but my consistancy has improved, and enjoyment of course. And for me, that's what its all about, FUN.

rob

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 12:06:32 PM »
I have had the base and the wheel for a few days, but frustratingly still waiting on the doodah that connects them together.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 01:59:13 PM »
I have had the base and the wheel for a few days, but frustratingly still waiting on the doodah that connects them together.
If you can't get the doodah you can always try a thingamajig, or a doohickey...... ;D :P ;D

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 03:09:37 PM »
 ;D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 05:29:11 PM »
I've got my CSL DD set up now (coming from a Thrustmaster T500RS). It makes ACC in particular feel quite different - you get a lot more feedback from the road. You feel all the bumps, and it feels like the onset of understeer is more noticeable through the wheel. A tightly sprung car like the Porsche Cup car becomes quite a violent experience now, even at reasonable FFB levels, which makes it even more immersive. There is constantly something happening to the wheel, and you really feel it if you hit a higher kerb and the car bounces.

AC on the other hand - well, it highlights how much more lively the FFB is in ACC. In AC, the FFB just feels... stronger. I would have to try more cars in AC before really forming an opinion about how different it feels there.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2022, 09:26:22 PM »
First race (ACC) with the new wheel - nice improvement in consistency.

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2022, 09:39:37 PM »
Nice one Wally.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 10:17:24 AM »
Some more feedback: I can now feel the vibration of the ABS kicking in, in ACC, which I couldn't feel before. And it's easier to feel what the back end is doing on throttle, you can feel the onset of oversteer more.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 02:55:28 PM »
What was the cost, if you don't mind me asking?

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2022, 03:23:30 PM »
$1300 with the 8 Nm boost kit and 1 extra year warranty. Base 5 Nm unit and without the extended warranty is $950. That's including a McLaren GT3 wheel. Maybe your existing rim would fit the base? The 5 Nm base alone is $600.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 03:58:13 PM »
Maybe your existing rim would fit the base?
No, my wheel is one unit, not a rim + base.
I think that's one of the reasons it's hard to find info about it on the net (I'm the only clown that bought it :-[ )

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal