Xtreme Gaming Network

Fanatec CSL DD

Author Topic: Fanatec CSL DD  (Read 7183 times)

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Fanatec CSL DD
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2022, 04:38:12 PM »
$1300 with the 8 Nm boost kit and 1 extra year warranty. Base 5 Nm unit and without the extended warranty is $950. That's including a McLaren GT3 wheel. Maybe your existing rim would fit the base? The 5 Nm base alone is $600.
Might be an obvious answer, but if going to this from a G27 your going to need a trick set of peddles to go with it??

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2022, 06:03:16 PM »
You can get Fanatec pedals as part of the ecosystem, or you can use independent pedals. I would say pedals are a completely separate proposition.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2022, 10:38:26 PM »
They are but you can't use g27 pedals on their own the wheel base has to be plugged in. You could technically have both bases plugged in to use the g27 pedals. I went for load cell pedals before I did a wheel upgrade as they make quite a difference.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2022, 10:59:34 PM »
They are but you can't use g27 pedals on their own the wheel base has to be plugged in. You could technically have both bases plugged in to use the g27 pedals. I went for load cell pedals before I did a wheel upgrade as they make quite a difference.
I did the same - pedals first. I agree, good pedals make a huge difference. A DD wheel is just icing on the cake, really.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2022, 03:48:16 PM »
Hey Wally,

I thought I might pose the question as you have spent a little more time with it.

I have a t500 as well and Im deciding between the Fanatec DD or the Cammus

Upgrade wise, worth the money to go direct and is that much better than Belt?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2022, 08:13:52 AM »
Hey Wally,

I thought I might pose the question as you have spent a little more time with it.

Hi there lurker Glen!
Yes, I think it is well worth the upgrade. I'm very pleased with it. You get a lot more detail, more so than the strength, I think. I've never liked really strong FFB. You probably can go a heap stronger with DD if you want to, but that's not where I see the benefit. It's the finer, more consistent detail you feel. Especially in ACC - the wheel is constantly moving a bit with road effects (pure, not canned), and for the first time I could feel the ABS vibration in the wheel, for example. AC feels a little different, it just sort of feels "cleaner". Hard to describe a feeling. Maybe it's because there's next to no damping in the wheel, so the FFB just kind of feels crisp.

The only downside so far, which a lot of reviews mention, is that I occasionally feel a tiny bit of a slip or a clunk in the wheel when the FFB changes rapidly from one side to the other. Apparently that's something to do with the quick release mechanism, and an easy fix is to put a bit of tape on the wheel shaft inside the release, but I haven't even bothered with it.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2022, 10:02:20 AM »
.....Hard to describe a feeling.....
Like trying to smell the colour 9? :P ;D

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2022, 10:22:34 AM »
.....Hard to describe a feeling.....
Like trying to smell the colour 9? :P ;D
It smells different to a prime number - does that help?

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2022, 11:03:20 AM »
Hey Wally,

Hi there lurker Glen!
Yes, I think it is well worth the upgrade. I'm very pleased with it. You get a lot more detail, more so than the strength, I think. I've never liked really strong FFB. You probably can go a heap stronger with DD if you want to, but that's not where I see the benefit. It's the finer, more consistent detail you feel. Especially in ACC - the wheel is constantly moving a bit with road effects (pure, not canned), and for the first time I could feel the ABS vibration in the wheel, for example. AC feels a little different, it just sort of feels "cleaner". Hard to describe a feeling. Maybe it's because there's next to no damping in the wheel, so the FFB just kind of feels crisp.

The only downside so far, which a lot of reviews mention, is that I occasionally feel a tiny bit of a slip or a clunk in the wheel when the FFB changes rapidly from one side to the other. Apparently that's something to do with the quick release mechanism, and an easy fix is to put a bit of tape on the wheel shaft inside the release, but I haven't even bothered with it.

Yes starting to lurk  ;)

Thanks for your feedback Wally, good to see so much activity at XGN. I miss the sim racing community.

I think choosing brands isn't going to be whats best, but more of whats available :(

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2022, 02:27:33 PM »

I had that problem too Wally. I may be a bit more anal than you but it was spoiling an otherwise immersive experience so I tried the tape fix. Took about 10 seconds and so far has worked a treat. I used about 4 windings of "plumbers tape" so may have to apply some more if it wears/compresses.

Well worth the effort.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2022, 02:36:25 PM »
There's a good chance if I get $1200+ tax return I'll be going down this path.
Eventually, I checked the Fanatec website and the base is sold out atm.

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2022, 04:06:25 PM »

I had that problem too Wally. I may be a bit more anal than you but it was spoiling an otherwise immersive experience so I tried the tape fix. Took about 10 seconds and so far has worked a treat. I used about 4 windings of "plumbers tape" so may have to apply some more if it wears/compresses.

Well worth the effort.
I spose I should do that too. Thanks Rob.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2022, 03:58:10 PM »
Bacchulum, the dimensions of the base are 16cm width & height, 15 cm deep. The front face of the wheel (McLaren GT3) is 17 cm from the front face of the base.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2022, 05:46:57 PM »
Bacchulum, the dimensions of the base are 16cm width & height, 15 cm deep. The front face of the wheel (McLaren GT3) is 17 cm from the front face of the base.
Cheers, sounds like it might fit on my existing angle plate. ;)

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal