Xtreme Gaming Network

Let me know here if you CAN'T race tonight

Author Topic: Let me know here if you CAN'T race tonight  (Read 8238 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Let me know here if you CAN'T race tonight
« on: March 29, 2016, 08:03:45 AM »
I have 25 signups for this 24 box mod track. The season can cope with the numbers, but not this practice round.

So please let me know if you can't race tonight.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline slideways

• View Profile
Re: Let me know here if you CAN'T race tonight
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 08:06:55 AM »
I'm slow as crap in these so if you need the slot I can sit it out.. :)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 08:27:06 AM »
I'm out. Was waiting to see if my social secretary (ie boss) changed our plans. Pity - was looking forward to cutting the crap out of the final chicane :D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 11:37:15 AM »
OK, thanks guys, I'll take Gratulin out. Slideways sounds like he needs the practice :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 12:43:01 PM »
Sounds like, looks like and feels like.... :(

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 02:47:00 PM »
Im out this week Wally so give my spot to anyone else.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 03:55:04 PM »
Im out this week Wally so give my spot to anyone else.
OK, thanks.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 07:24:34 PM »
I have an unexpected visitor and will most likely miss most of tonight
I will make it later if I can and if any room, but don't save a spot for me if someone else can race
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 12:28:13 AM »
Sorry Wally, I didn't see this thread. Been busy getting pissed off with files not copying because that part of the drive has died.
Cheers

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 07:17:29 AM »
Sorry Wally, I didn't see this thread. Been busy getting pissed off with files not copying because that part of the drive has died.
Cheers

No worries. There were plenty of spots for everyone who wanted to to race. A dying HD is a right pain. Have you got an SSD?

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 11:40:39 AM »
I have Wally, but it's my working HDD Programs drive that is dodgy.  I've managed to copy most files apart from about 3 that must have unreadable sectors within them, and reduced the contents to just my Programs and Programs (x86) folders which unfortunately, is where I installed my Steam programs. I tried cloning with just that, and it has failed again due to unreadable sectors so it's the long road of re-install for me.
I was annoyed that the drive has failed, but it's where my TV recordings go so the drive would get flogged. I think I need a new strategy to manage my TV recordings

I was thinking I could reinstall windows while I'm at it, but I don't know if I want to go through that again.
I'll have it sorted shortly, am and thankful that it wasn't a cataclysmic failure...........because I've been meaning to do backups for the last 15 years and still haven't managed to get around to it.   :)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 12:43:54 PM »
Backups are good.  Very good.  I'd say essential.  You only lose all your data (photos, music, pr0n collection...) once to realise how good backups are.

Anything you don't want to lose: have it backed up in a non-proprietary format (backup programs often use their own crap format, that you can't get the data out of w/o using their software - and even then, sometimes it fails.  Do tests!)

Anything really important; have two(!!) backups. 

A backup is not another drive in the same system.  It's in another box, or for really important stuff it's in another location - eg S3.
S3 costs peanuts, and there are solutions that can backup data onto S3.

I'd not recommend dropbox, because if some nasty hits you, it'll wipe/lock that as well, since it acts like an extension to the file system.  It's better for sharing/collaboration.

Sorry for the lengthy crap ;) 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:45:52 PM by Bird »

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 01:22:35 PM »
Good advice Bird.

The problem with backing up to the cloud is the upload speeds.  Having 50+ gig to upload at 0.6 mbps takes a while ;)  Unless you are one of the lucky few who have NBN.  Damn Liberals.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 01:37:43 PM »
Yeah I know.  ADSL sucks.  I've only recently uploaded most stuff - I've used external drives & local file server. (still using the server).  Only the really-really important work stuff went up online.

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 01:53:12 PM »
Cheers Bird.

I know the importance of backups, but I've been lucky, and lazy.  It looks like I have another drive with errors too. Not happy. I reckon it has something to do with a power loss I had recently.

I don't know if I have enough spare drives to copy all the data onto. I plan on using HDD's which I'll store elsewhere in a cool dry vibration free environment for onsite, and find an online option for important files for off.

But I've been planning backups and OS streamline installs since I started with XP.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal