Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 4: Monza race chat

Author Topic: Round 4: Monza race chat  (Read 61552 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Round 4: Monza race chat
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2014, 07:32:46 AM »

Again the lesson is - if you want to be as fast as Guybrush, brake later, get on full throttle earlier. But Marty's telemetry is closest to GB's in "shape".
Sounds simple but . .. if I brake any later I overshoot, get on the gas earlier I slide, and I'm in the 1.55's.  >:(

I'd prioritize a better exit over later braking.  I'm sure Wally's telemetry magic would back this up that you might gain a tenth or so by braking a little later but by the time you get to the next corner a better exit could save you two or three tenths, especially at a place like Monza where there is so far between corners.

I think the telemetry shows the opposite. There seems to be a big lap time differential almost immediately after the corner, not at the end of the next straight. You make up a lot of time close to the corners, which I would say is due mainly to the later braking. I'm curious now... I'll take a closer look.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2014, 07:53:56 AM »

Again the lesson is - if you want to be as fast as Guybrush, brake later, get on full throttle earlier. But Marty's telemetry is closest to GB's in "shape".
Sounds simple but . .. if I brake any later I overshoot, get on the gas earlier I slide, and I'm in the 1.55's.  >:(

I'd prioritize a better exit over later braking.  I'm sure Wally's telemetry magic would back this up that you might gain a tenth or so by braking a little later but by the time you get to the next corner a better exit could save you two or three tenths, especially at a place like Monza where there is so far between corners.

I think the telemetry shows the opposite. There seems to be a big lap time differential almost immediately after the corner, not at the end of the next straight. You make up a lot of time close to the corners, which I would say is due mainly to the later braking. I'm curious now... I'll take a closer look.

Yep, the rate of time improvement should decrease as you get quicker due to acceleration dropping off and speeds "bunching up", but overall it should show a better exit as more advantageous?

It's probably difficult to tell unless you have the same driver running the same setup and making minor adjustments to their line...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:57:00 AM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2014, 12:03:31 PM »

Would guy be quicker with a more traditional aero setup for monza? who knows but there are some pretty big names there on RSR he is mixing with and I dont think there is much more time there and it shows you can run a similar pace with very low and low aero setups, one of the main things I like about AC is exactly that. Its a shame Darren isnt here as they may have had some good battles in these cars but as is I dont think anyone quite has the pace to beat him over a longer distance fairly.

I wondered the same Marty, but I was on WR pace by about a tenth before I stuffed up every corner from the second Lesbo onwards!  I haven't really tried a lower downforce setup properly but might give it a shot.

With soft v hards I'm wondering whether you just can't lean on the softs as much without having the aero to do so?  Also, if you are running a lot more front downforce than rear do you feel you can really throw it into corners?  That's where the softs hold the advantage for me.

The low rear aero at the rear is for the the speed on the straights playing around with front wing between 1 and 3 with similar times possible either way for me. Too low at the front and it just doesnt turn into the lesbo's too well but the other corners arent too bad. Ascari Im not pushing too much but either front wing setting can work there with similar speeds. Front wing at 1 is a little understeery on entry into the faster corners but more neutral mid corner where front wing at 3 turns in well but then gets a little loose mid corner it also loses a few kmh down the straight.

Im leaning towards running 2 and 0 the first and second chicanes are quite slow so aero has no effect on them. Parabolica is a tricky one and I generally dont push to the limits leaving a bit too much room on exit, overdoing it there running 1 wheel in the grass is never a good result but also if my brake balance is a bjt too rearward and I brake a little late the rear lets go on me there.

You are getting much more out of the softs then I can but its not just here its been the same for me on every track in these cars. Its a little trickier to get the same speed out of the hards but I can do it yet I can seek to find any more pace in the softs. I have barely run softs anyway just the odd qualy lap so that could have something to do with it too as I have been mostly working on a race setup.

I cant see me getting pole and as long as I can start in the first couple rows its good enough for me. Its better then pitlane but maybe I can get Mops pitlane start like one of our practice races where he got going before the start lights even lit up lol.

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2014, 12:55:17 PM »
Its better then pitlane but maybe I can get Mops pitlane start like one of our practice races where he got going before the start lights even lit up lol.

that was gold! This is going to be a very crappy race for me, done heaps of practice and getting nowhere...

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2014, 02:17:21 PM »
This one is gold 2 :)
...it just doesnt turn into the lesbo's too well ...

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2014, 06:17:43 PM »
Server is UP.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2014, 06:19:06 PM »
Server is UP.

excellent. I plan on getting it right tonight with Lesbo's 1&2
I was cumming into Lesbo 1 too fast last night.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2014, 06:19:51 PM »
LOL

So we can expect lots of crashes there due to lack of concentration?

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2014, 06:27:15 PM »
If he's cumming into Lesbo1 too quick, he'll be too busy looking for a ciggy when Lesbo2 arrives. 8)

2+2=√16

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2014, 06:30:33 PM »
If he's cumming into Lesbo1 too quick, he'll be too busy looking for a ciggy when Lesbo2 arrives. 8)

Ciggy? pfft I'm asleep by lesbo 2

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2014, 06:35:04 PM »
Speaking of Lesbos.
My checksums are mismatching again when I try to log in.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2014, 07:18:37 PM »
Speaking of Lesbos.
My checksums are mismatching again when I try to log in.

Weird,  there must have been an update to the track since we last raced there.  I'll check it in a minute.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2014, 07:23:46 PM »
I just tried and it does say Checksum missmatch kicked once I get in too. Though it was just Dicks hacks which must be dodgy anyway but doesnt seem so. Must be Wally's hacks that we dont all have  ;D

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2014, 07:25:07 PM »
I just tried and it does say Checksum missmatch kicked once I get in too. Though it was just Dicks hacks which must be dodgy anyway but doesnt seem so. Must be Wally's hacks that we dont all have  ;D

we are all sulking on the practice server

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2014, 07:26:11 PM »
OK, just restarted the race server.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal