Xtreme Gaming Network

Jap Pack Car Ranking

Author Topic: Jap Pack Car Ranking  (Read 14148 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Jap Pack Car Ranking
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 03:27:15 PM »
Hey, I don't want to be annoying, but... I actually agree completely with Marty. Mixing completely different type of cars with similar overall performance is great for the Mille Miglia and other time trials, but I am scared it would make for really bad short-track racing.

Is there room for more annoying people beyond just me.  ;D But at least we do have a practice run this week so this should be shown up even if this track is an odd one out for me it still showed the other 4 are fairly consistant to the tests I did on a couple other tracks

Well, lots to think about in your car choice then, huh?  ;)

There is a clear easy choice with the one car that has an advantage and quite likely this will be 80% or more of the final grid. One clear choice of the car that has no advantage and I dont think we will see anyome choose a supra. Now a new car that has some advantages but will be a sitting duck due to its major weakness and really not fitting in well with the other cars available.

It will be good to see on the test race though and lets hope a few people try more then just the one car to show how the cars match up in a race.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 03:55:52 PM »
I just want to add, I'm interested to hear about problems like "this car won't make the distance on a full tank", or "this car only has soft tyres, which last 3 laps". Those are showstopper problems.

But subjective problems like too easy/too hard/too slippery/too cold/too fast/too slow are just matters of opinion that I am less interested in.  One man's problem is another man's challenge. What annoys some may intrigue or challenge others. Everyone is in the same boat; that's what I mean when I say you just have to deal with it.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 07:12:28 PM »
I ran some laps at modena on the prac server with the mx5, had 2% less grip then the rx7 and was 6 tenths faster in the mx-5 here is how differently they get their lap times

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 07:29:44 PM »
Here is a comparison between the other 3 cars vs the rx7 with the best laps in each car on the prac server.

370vs rx7

Supra Rx7

R34GTR vs Rx7
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:49:56 PM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 07:44:05 PM »
Yes, the MX5 is a different beast, with an advantage at this short track. It will be destroyed at longer tracks though. Your challenge,  should you choose to accept it, is how to deal with an MX5 on the track. Blitz it on the straight then defend into the corners? I find the RX7 very taily though, needing gentle throttle application in the corners. The Skyline corners much more on rails, with its 4 wheel steering. Perhaps the Skyline would be a better car against the MX5, at this track anyway.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 08:19:50 AM »
the epic late breaking you can do in the MX5 is cool and should give it a chance against the top speed cars in a small track
Ahhh, don't mention it to that pesky master of late braking, Imperious!
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 08:40:50 AM »
I did some more testings last night and like Grat, I agree with Marty on this one. The 370, R34, Rx7 Spirit and the slightly slower Supra, all match up well against each other. The MX5... hmmm...it's so different to the others, it seems out of place and would be slightly annoying in race IMHO. That's my 2 cents!!
 :P

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 10:08:54 AM »
2 cents noted :)

I'll see how it goes tonight, and under pressure of numbers, might take the MX5 out. But "annoying" isn't really a very good reason. You could just as well call it "strategically interesting". Remember, someone has to willingly choose to drive the MX5 in the season. They'll have their reasons for choosing that car.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 04:24:37 PM »
Yes, the MX5 is a different beast, with an advantage at this short track. It will be destroyed at longer tracks though. Your challenge,  should you choose to accept it, is how to deal with an MX5 on the track. Blitz it on the straight then defend into the corners? I find the RX7 very taily though, needing gentle throttle application in the corners. The Skyline corners much more on rails, with its 4 wheel steering. Perhaps the Skyline would be a better car against the MX5, at this track anyway.
Nothing wrong with a bit of david v goliath  . . .

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 05:05:21 PM »
From a few races we had at this track the mx5 isnt too bad but the rest of the track list I doubt it will have the pace, the long slow corners are its specialty and thats pretty much all the the modena track has. The mx5 then is actually the quickest around a lap here by just over 1 second but other tracks if it cant set the quickest laps on its own it will have no hope. I still think they will just spread the field out more and will need some very patient people driving them as if your in the other cars your fully entitled to the racing line if ahead and so the much faster cornering mx5's need to find a way around without causing collisions.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 10:31:54 PM »
I did some testing and seeing RSR seems to be the stat to go by ran laps there, it shows the jap cars other then the MX5 cup at least at Brands GP really havent had too many laps as it was fairly easy to set the best lap with those.

http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/index.php?page=driver_profile&id=2811

The MX5 cup there has had quite a few laps and so I was still 1 second off that time but there is heaps left in setup and driving that thing around there.

Kind of surprised at the longer track the GTR was pretty much as slow as the Supra then followed by the 370 with the Mazdaz I was fairly close but the rsr record is another second quicker in the mx5 cup so it would be quickest even around this track.

The other cars I didnt do too many laps but the MX5 I put a few in to just get within 1 second but didnt do much to the setup.

Cars top speeds tell an interesting story and explains why the rx7 is so much quicker then the others and by the look of this it will be a Mazda cup RX7 vs Mx5 cup.

RX7 206
Supra 199
370z 198
R34 196
MX5 cup 178
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:01:31 PM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 11:12:35 PM »
Interesting. In the RSR stats I pulled before, the Skyline was a straggler too, which is a bit surprising.

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 09:21:10 AM »
I like the idea of a small ballast (20, 30, 50?) on the RX7 (and maybe others) to even up the cars  :P
Wally BoP!! (Sung by Cyndi Lauper!!)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2016, 10:14:37 AM »
I like the idea of a small ballast (20, 30, 50?) on the RX7 (and maybe others) to even up the cars  :P
Wally BoP!! (Sung by Cyndi Lauper!!)
Nah, no ballast. It's up to people to choose the cars they like. Remember, some people race for the fun of close racing with others or because they enjoy a particular car, knowing they'll never win.

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2016, 11:47:06 AM »
I like to win!!
RX7 cup it is then!!
 :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal