Xtreme Gaming Network

S10R6: Nurburgring GP Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S10R6: Nurburgring GP Post-Race Chat  (Read 30149 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: S10R6: Nurburgring GP Post-Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 09:02:38 AM »
I had a decent enough quali, but (as you can see in the vid) could not get away from the accident, even though I took a wide evasive action.  There was no way to expect that second bump and the following billiard-ball physics action.

That pretty much put its mark on the whole night.  By the second race I was too tired to do things properly and made a few sillies, so I could not gain back positions as I wanted.

Jeremy, if I may ask you something: if you're in an accident, slow down & take evasive action.  Forget the throttle.  Both times we met last night, if you had not been so eager to rush on, the collateral would have been far less.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 09:03:26 AM »
Q1 - Did the best I could.  Perhaps could have made up a tenth or so and just snuck in for pole but it's rare to put in the best possible lap when it counts!  I was pretty happy with P2 as the Lambo's had in excess of a 1 second advantage on the softs based on a few laps I did earlier in the week, although low grip may have closed the gap a little.

R1 - Got a great start but didn't have the power to get past Marty down the straight.  Hung on to his bumper for a couple of laps before getting a good run out of the chicane, however being so close I couldn't see any reference points so I ducked out to the side into the final corner only to realise my brake marker was saying hello in my rear view mirror, so I ran wide into the gravel and lost a few seconds.  I caught back up to Marty again and thought I'd try an undercut so pitted early on lap 6 I think.  I had a good outlap, and this combined with Marty's cold, old tyres meant I came out a few seconds in front of him after he pitted the following lap.  Marty then continued to eeek away at the gap a tenth or two each lap and then I encountered some trafic which lost me a second or so, so I thought it was going to get interesting toward the end, however I managed to hold on to take the flag just a second in front.  A 1 - 2 result for the team with bonus payments being afforded.  It was quite a satisfying race this one as we were fairly evenly matched.

R2 - Built up a decent lead from the start.  I saw marty drop a few tenths on one of the straights so thought something was up and as it turned out he had a spiking pedal.  I was cruising around pretty happy with life then all of a sudden I noticed everyone on my Stracker disappeared and then everyone on my track map, and then the "no server connection" message.  So that was that.  It was good grabbing an icey pole from the freezer though and watching Stan, Paul, Marty and Phil battle it out though.  I believe there was about 1.4 seconds covering P2 to P5.

Good nights racing again.  Unfortunately the colder temps hurt the Audi a lot where it's main strength lies so was good to be able to keep up with the Lambo's.  Clearly Kunos don't have the cold temps right yet as the front tyres just don't heat up above 50 degrees which doesn't sound right for a 12 degree, sunny day.

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 09:31:10 AM »
Lambos!! Nothin but the rear of Lambos all night!!. I reckon I saw more Lambo arses than a frisky Kiwi farmer on heat!! (bwahahaha!!!)

I had a couple of excellent races, got the hunter award for both races so very happy with that. Mostly it was Paul's arse that I was following, with a little bit of Matthew in there as well. I found that the Audi's advantage came late in a stint on worn tyres in the twisty bits, which meant overtaking was going to be tricky!!

Race 1, settled in to a great race with Matthew, myself and Paul in 3rd - 5th. Pesky pitstop saw me in 4th gear in the pit box and that was all the invitation Paul needed and he blew past me in the pits... so I settled in for more Lambo arse  :D We rubbed panels at one stage but we got away with it and I came home in 5th.

Race 2, was more of the same with Paul and Matthew in front of me. Decided to pit early to see how that would work. Came out near Marty and a bunch of other racers. Then it was a great run to the line with Matthew clearing out for the win and a spiking Marty, Paul and myself battling for the minor places. Then at the end Phil was coming on strong and catching us all pretty quickly.

Good times!!  ;D

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
S10R6: Nurburgring GP Post-Race Chat
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 09:45:02 AM »
Wally, could we reduce damage percentage? That may reduce the impact of the collisions and improve our enjoyment of the evenings racing. After viewing the videos of the T3 incident it seems that a minor touch between Jeremy and Bird and a minor rear-end by Jeremy on Grat had more impact than warranted. Also, the Freezer ping-pong on Jeremy just seems like a Kunos bug to me.

I don't know why Jeremy and Bird were fighting so hard for position so early in the race but it ruined a lot of people's race. Just seems to me that it is happening every race this season. I was close to not racing last night because of the repeated carnage in the mid field.

I got lucky last night with only a minor hit as I came through but last week wasn't so lucky.

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 10:11:06 AM »
Race 1: pinball
Race 2: punted

Don't think I'll bother for the next two weeks

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 10:49:29 AM »
Just a bit more caution needs to be shown at the starts.
It happens every week.
Race 1: pinball
Race 2: punted

Don't think I'll bother for the next two weeks

This is one thing that really more people need to take more care of. Awareness is the key to racing closely with others, the way it is nearly every race start mid to back of the pack simply turns many off the racing.

Quite often its just 1 or 2 incidents that effect most of the second half of the field. The best part about racing is the longer runs and battling hard, ruining yours or someone elses race in the first lap just seems rather silly.

I dont think we need any special rules regarding driving slow through the early sections but its also quite clear that points penalties and car damage isnt enough deterent to some.

Its fine to make moves but do them when you have some hope of pulling them off and not hitting others.

It seems the start of the race many seem a bit over egar, thinking this is their only chance to make a pass. At the same time risking both their entire race or the race of those around them.

Wally, could we reduce damage percentage? That may reduce the impact of the collisions and improve our enjoyment of the evenings racing.

I dont think turning damage any lower would actually help the racing. I know the damage will have a big negative impact on my race so do all I possibly can to avoid any contact in all races. The damage should act as a big deterent to contact, I sure dont want a banged upncar after 30 seconds of a 30 minute or 1 hr race. Its kind of amazing how some seem not to care so much about this.

Maybe turning the damage up to the max may make people show more respect for others. But even there it doesnt seem to be the thing and points really dont matter much beyond the few in the running for the championship.

You can turn off the damage but then people will care even kess about contact and probably make sillier moves. You can then give them a 1000 point penalty but it really doesnt effect anything for them.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 11:13:38 AM »
Does not matter what, we cant eliminate the accidents especially the  first lap ones,we should use our experience and understanding and common sense,its the nature of the game.But one thing  i would do,as marty mentioned,maximize the damage and also disqualify those drivers who during the race reach for example 15 contacts(thats what we use in iracing and it works) other than this,,,i mean there is nothing else except what doobs did.....leaving the season,but thats is not going to work for him...nowhere!!

my 2 cents guys!!

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 11:24:05 AM »
Just make a safety rating app and have it as another championship for safest driver.
gives us a chance to win something then :)

CPI
driver`s Safety Rating is derived from their Corners Per incident (CPI) average. Each track has a set number of corners. For example Lime Rock Park has seven corners. If you get one incident point every lap, your CPI would be seven. If you drove 100 laps, with only one incident, your CPI would be 700.

An incident is an off, or a contact
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Rolz

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 11:27:46 AM »
Just make a safety rating app and have it as another championship for safest driver.
gives us a chance to win something then :)

CPI
driver`s Safety Rating is derived from their Corners Per incident (CPI) average. Each track has a set number of corners. For example Lime Rock Park has seven corners. If you get one incident point every lap, your CPI would be seven. If you drove 100 laps, with only one incident, your CPI would be 700.

An incident is an off, or a contact

That is an awesome idea - can we tag it onto the minorating server that's already running?

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 11:58:33 AM »
Perhaps it would be better added to PLP and use the successful PLP approach. I think Wally's approach to cutting has worked better than any other approach I have seen. There is no real penalty (except the more than 3 cuts rule) and no continued rating to get everyone "pressured". Awareness has been raised and everyone knows the rules and little policing needed. Why not just have the same system for contacts?

Now for the controversial aspect of contacts - who's to blame.

1. Use the iRacing system of counting contacts against each driver involved. That means no policing. Also, it encourages drivers to avoid "being hit" thereby promoting less risky driving.
2. Use the 3 contacts then a penalty the same as the current PLP. That way we don't need to watch another counter. Perhaps merge the counts? Eg 1 cut plus 2 contacts makes a penalty.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 12:02:38 PM »
Wally, could we reduce damage percentage? That may reduce the impact of the collisions and improve our enjoyment of the evenings racing. After viewing the videos of the T3 incident it seems that a minor touch between Jeremy and Bird and a minor rear-end by Jeremy on Grat had more impact than warranted. Also, the Freezer ping-pong on Jeremy just seems like a Kunos bug to me.

I don't know why Jeremy and Bird were fighting so hard for position so early in the race but it ruined a lot of people's race. Just seems to me that it is happening every race this season. I was close to not racing last night because of the repeated carnage in the mid field.

I got lucky last night with only a minor hit as I came through but last week wasn't so lucky.

Errr...I wasn't fighting hard at all, just driving in a race.  I did not touch with Jeremy in the T3 accident at all.  I was collateral.  :)
As I said earlier, I would have been out of it before it started had the second hit did not occur between Jeremy & Grat.  The hard right you see from me is the evasive manouver as soon as I saw something was afoot. ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:07:24 PM by Bird »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2016, 12:08:16 PM »

Errr...I wasn't fighting hard at all, just driving in a race.  I did not touch with Jeremy in the T3 accident at all.  I was collateral.  :)
As I said earlier, I would have been out of it before it started had the second hit did not occur between them.
Agreed - I misread the video. Looks like you were avoiding contact with Jeremy hence a bit of swerving that I took as a bump.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2016, 12:12:01 PM »
Agreed - I misread the video. Looks like you were avoiding contact with Jeremy hence a bit of swerving that I took as a bump.

Yep, exactly :)   But I think what these videos (monza & this) highlight really well is the massive problem with the collisions. 
They should not billiard-ball around, all cars crumple when hit, they don't bounce off.

Btw, Marty, have you tried to post these on the official forums, saying that the collision physics needs a good look at?  Maybe if we make enough noise, something might even happen in the future...

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2016, 12:14:15 PM »
,i mean there is nothing else except what doobs did.....leaving the season,but thats is not going to work for him...nowhere!!

Sure it works Simone, I'd rather do that than get so pissed off I abuse someone and get banned for life.
After last night (which wasn't the first meet where I was effectively knocked out of having any fun on the first lap in both races) I have the following attitude:
If I race I won't be practicing, I won't bother qualifying, and I won't give a shit as to how I drive so I'm likely to show up for the last two weeks.
Soooo, I doubt I'll be racing the last two races. If I think my attitude has changed, I will drive, otherwise it's not worth it.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2016, 12:28:19 PM »
Also, the Freezer ping-pong on Jeremy just seems like a Kunos bug to me.
Definitely a problem here.  The second tap on the front side of Jeremy  at T3 basically stopped him dead.  Then the chain reaction from my car back was way to dramatic from an impact point of view.  You should be able to bump a bit without spearing someone off the road.
Bearing that in mind, Jeremy's touch was only small and it should not have caused such a pile up....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal