Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 10: Australian GT3 Regulations and Sign Up

Author Topic: Season 10: Australian GT3 Regulations and Sign Up  (Read 104467 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Season 10: Australian GT3 Regulations and Sign Up
« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2016, 06:41:00 PM »
It's about now that I start praying that everything's going to work with 30 people on the grid. I spoke to the OSRW admin who made the tracks with the extra pit boxes, and he reckons everything works fine, and the C3.Large AWS server should cope.

I ran 30 AIs at Vallelunga without any problems.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 18, 2016, 07:24:44 PM »
c3.large is quite a server.  Did they mean c4.large though? That's the current gen cpu intensive.  If that can't cope with it... altho what I've found that on our type of load (web service with spikes) the t2.medium is quite a good replacement for a c4.large, and cheaper.  That's because of the burstable CPU performance. 

Depending on the usage, it maybe worth a look at.   The RAM is the same, they both have 2 vCPUs, but the c4 runs on better processors. It really depends on
1) does the AC server really need better cpu?
2) will the default amount of cpu credit run out on the t2 during an evening session?

Actually, after another look again, it seems the t2 can provide better performance as long as you can burst it.  So that's really the question - can it last?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:30:33 PM by Bird »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 18, 2016, 07:58:18 PM »
No, I've got an on demand C3.large. That's what Tuesday's always been. It should be fine. 500 mbps upload.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 18, 2016, 09:53:16 PM »
I think that server should have no issues as the t2 small I run has had well over 30 people at once a few times though over separate servers with minorating and stracker running also. Been a few times with a full 24 slot server and 10-20 more spread on other servers mostly after AC updates when pub servers get busier. Now that I filter a bit harsher in MR the numbers havent been that high but I cant imagine the server causing any issues on race nites.

All should have a test against a full ai field from the back of the grid to see how it will effect their performance, in MP it should run a bit better then with AI too so if you can get it to run well with ai should be fine on race nites.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 19, 2016, 07:33:55 AM »
I was merely suggesting the c3/c4 large "compute intensive" maybe a bit too much, and that maybe we could save a tiny bit of money... :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 19, 2016, 07:52:47 AM »
I was merely suggesting the c3/c4 large "compute intensive" maybe a bit too much, and that maybe we could save a tiny bit of money... :)
Fair point... but I'm lazy :)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 19, 2016, 08:40:42 AM »
You know that all you need is r-click in the list of instances (when stopped) and change instance type...:)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2016, 09:53:37 AM »
You know that all you need is r-click in the list of instances (when stopped) and change instance type...:)

Oh really? And it keeps all your settings/configuration?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 19, 2016, 10:43:24 AM »

Oh really? And it keeps all your settings/configuration?

It keeps the whole server intact, bar the memory.
Oh, except if something was on the ephemeral storage (those pesky SSD's that are attached to some instance types and you need to separately use them - I'm pretty sure you don't)

Edit:
Ah! make sure the instance's stopping behaviour is 'stop' not 'terminate'!  I don't think you'd do that, it is not the default setup, but it must be mentioned...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:45:01 AM by Bird »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 19, 2016, 10:53:52 AM »
Round Formats
Format 1: 1 hour race, 3 x fuel and tyres.
2 compulsory pit stops. Pit stop window for compulsory pit stops is between lap 6 and 23.

Format 2: 2 x 30 min race, 2 x fuel and tyres.
1 compulsory pit stop, tyre change only (no refuelling).
Progressive grid: Race 2 start order set by race 1 finish order.

Wally with the round formats, compulsary stops how are you going to monitor the lap stops are on as I think the pitlane notification to apps is still broken.

Also format 2 tyre change only? How will you monitor if people add fuel. Also is there a 2 compound rule or something or can you run any compound in all races.

Race 2 could be fun if there were 2 compounds available so youd need to run medium and hards. Cant run softs in race even at regular wear in gt3 but running medium and hard at some point in race could make things interesting. With no points given to those that dont use 2 tyres or stop outside the window.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 19, 2016, 01:30:54 PM »
Round Formats
Format 1: 1 hour race, 3 x fuel and tyres.
2 compulsory pit stops. Pit stop window for compulsory pit stops is between lap 6 and 23.

Format 2: 2 x 30 min race, 2 x fuel and tyres.
1 compulsory pit stop, tyre change only (no refuelling).
Progressive grid: Race 2 start order set by race 1 finish order.

Wally with the round formats, compulsary stops how are you going to monitor the lap stops are on as I think the pitlane notification to apps is still broken.

Also format 2 tyre change only? How will you monitor if people add fuel. Also is there a 2 compound rule or something or can you run any compound in all races.

Race 2 could be fun if there were 2 compounds available so youd need to run medium and hards. Cant run softs in race even at regular wear in gt3 but running medium and hard at some point in race could make things interesting. With no points given to those that dont use 2 tyres or stop outside the window.

I can't enforce the pit stop window, not the refuelling. They are guidelines only, based on real life regs.

Yes, I've suggested the multiple compound thing before. I think it could make some interesting strategies. Although some races are very cold, which already might influence tyre strategy. It might be best to leave it as per real life, and not have compound restrictions.

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2016, 07:56:58 AM »
Hi Wally, my PC held together last night so I would like to give the season a go. So if there is room count me in, I'm happy to be a reserve if you already have a full grid.

Seeing as I'll be running around towards the rear of the grid I'll give the Merc AMG SLS some love.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2016, 08:01:57 AM »
Good news Rob, we can have our own race, (I hope). :)
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2016, 08:14:21 AM »
Hi Wally, my PC held together last night so I would like to give the season a go. So if there is room count me in, I'm happy to be a reserve if you already have a full grid.

Seeing as I'll be running around towards the rear of the grid I'll give the Merc AMG SLS some love.
Good news Rob, although I'm not looking forward to the sight of the rear of your fat Merc again :)
I've put you on the grid and relegated newbie Ben to the reserves, as is my usual policy for long-standing members.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 20, 2016, 04:26:50 PM »
Wally dont all the tracks this season have at least 31 grid spots. I only see 30 signed in so far but also there should be some rules regarding when people pull out to give some notice. Past seasons with 24 starterd and reserves we still rarely had a full grid due to 3 or 4 no shows each week.

If people cant race best to advise as soon as possible to leave the spot open for any possible reserves. There are a few people I think that have been down for a season and barely ran 1 or 2 races yet never gave notice of not making race nites.

There seems to be enough interest for this season so we should be able to get close to 30 starters each round.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:26:11 PM by marty »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal