Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 3 round 1 race chat: Mugello

Author Topic: Season 3 round 1 race chat: Mugello  (Read 46128 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Season 3 round 1 race chat: Mugello
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2014, 10:47:03 AM »
In these Spa clips, the car seems to be being bounced by the kerbs and getting unsettled a fraction of a second down the track. In AC, it's more like the front tyres get a sudden grip increase on the kerb, sometimes, and it makes the rear come around instantly. It still feels a bit unbelievable to me. That long AC post seems to back up something weird going on, with big, almost instantaneous fluctuations in camber, such as from -3° to +3°.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »
Love the Blancpain GT series.
1stly All those crashes are mindblowingly expensive!! All the drivers and pit crew aren't looking hurt. Their mind is ticking over "How much did that just cost?"

And the spins look quite slow and tame compared to AC spins. But yes, I see cars do get unsettled and evenetually spin but not quite the same as AC. I don't think we should be terrified of curbs.

and I haven't seen any other damage pics from AC other than that same one of the Ferrari and frankly it looks pretty ordinary and fake.. How can you get scratches on the bonnet like that? did it run under some trees?
How can you get such damaged side panels and still have intact mirrors?
 the cracked windscreen? Glass????? Not even shatter proof?
yes! I'm very critical. AC is all about polish and realisim. I'm hoping that pic is nothing like the final damage model.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2014, 11:04:26 AM »
I will check that thread, as I havent seen it in a bit but if the cambers are adjusting so much its again something to do with collisions. Kerbs are irregular shape and have ridges spines and all sorts of weird designs these days. The ridges are to reduce traction in a simple way as less rubber will be contacting the surface. But the tyre will just bounce along the top on many kerbs.

But see some slow motion videos of cars on kerbs and things do get quite weird in real footage.

[youtube]hefl0DS9_AQ[/youtube]

[youtube]iG90mjvR0J4[/youtube]

[youtube]_7remcoyrcg[/youtube]

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2014, 11:09:58 AM »
Love the Blancpain GT series.
1stly All those crashes are mindblowingly expensive!! All the drivers and pit crew aren't looking hurt. Their mind is ticking over "How much did that just cost?"

And the spins look quite slow and tame compared to AC spins. But yes, I see cars do get unsettled and evenetually spin but not quite the same as AC. I don't think we should be terrified of curbs.

and I haven't seen any other damage pics from AC other than that same one of the Ferrari and frankly it looks pretty ordinary and fake.. How can you get scratches on the bonnet like that? did it run under some trees?
How can you get such damaged side panels and still have intact mirrors?
 the cracked windscreen? Glass????? Not even shatter proof?
yes! I'm very critical. AC is all about polish and realisim. I'm hoping that pic is nothing like the final damage model.

Re damage sadly its just going to be canned pre rendered stuff so it always looks fake. Kind of like when I tried Next car game after buying beam NG. They both drive like crap but at least beam NG has some awesome real time crash destruction just it would bring a proper simulator to its knees with any more then a fwe cars even on a very high end setup. We just wont be getting that level of realtime physics destruction any time soon as wed need at least 30x the current computing grunt to have Pcar's typoe graphics, AC Physics and Beam NG soft body physics.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2014, 11:27:19 AM »
Re damage sadly its just going to be canned pre rendered stuff so it always looks fake. Kind of like when I tried Next car game after buying beam NG. They both drive like crap but at least beam NG has some awesome real time crash destruction just it would bring a proper simulator to its knees with any more then a fwe cars even on a very high end setup. We just wont be getting that level of realtime physics destruction any time soon as wed need at least 30x the current computing grunt to have Pcar's typoe graphics, AC Physics and Beam NG soft body physics.

Yeah, makes sense. It doesn't have to be full on life like. I can understand there might only be 3-4 damage models for each car and no mater how you get hit, The damage model will look the same. That's fine. but I hope AC can produce something a bit better looking than every other car game. Even GRID has a ok LOOKING crash model (I didn't say physics) Same with next car game.

Speaking of pretty stuff. Bird posted a very nice clip of poject cars weather model on XGN's front page. Very real looking.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2014, 11:56:54 AM »
Good clips, Marty. Looking at that last one escpecially, you can imagine the camber osciallating. You should put those clips on that AC thread.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2014, 12:41:12 PM »
That one has been doing the rounds a week or two ago. I think it's not the wing, mind you, but the rear left tyre that goes, and shreds everything apart around it - including the wing.

This one completely unrelated but $%^# me first time Ive seen this. This is what happens when your rear wing explodes on entry to Eau Rogue.  :o
[youtube]nyIQNM-1hUc[/youtube]

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2014, 01:02:47 PM »
That one has been doing the rounds a week or two ago. I think it's not the wing, mind you, but the rear left tyre that goes, and shreds everything apart around it - including the wing.

This one completely unrelated but $%^# me first time Ive seen this. This is what happens when your rear wing explodes on entry to Eau Rogue.  :o

If you look real hard into the cockpit once he stops, you can see the driver trying to go "esc- Back to pits"

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2014, 01:40:50 PM »
 ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2014, 02:15:16 PM »

If you look real hard into the cockpit once he stops, you can see the driver trying to go "esc- Back to pits"

He must have been in an AC MP session then as I surely would have been hitting escape before reaching the wall. That darn wait til you stop to escape issue could have hurt him in this case.

It seems cars fail here quite a bit as its such a high load corner and the compression at the beginning must stress everything pretty hard. The GTR crash a couple years ago is another example, looks like it may have been kerb until you see his left rear is broken already as the car spins around.

[youtube]Q-MCUS7Osx4[/youtube]

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2014, 05:47:40 PM »
I've just watched the replay of race three and the turn 1 shunt looks like a racing incident, 4 wide all in each others blind spot (I thought it was only 3 wide on the night).
Absolutely amazing only 2 cars involved as I spun right across the track in front of everyone! :o

And a shout out to Peter, it was a great battle back through the field with you. :D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 06:13:09 PM by Bacchulum »

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2014, 06:05:53 PM »
I've just watched the replay of race one and the turn 1 shunt looks like a racing incident, 4 wide all in each others blind spot (I thought it was only 3 wide on the night).
Absolutely amazing only 2 cars involved as I spun right across the track in front of everyone! :o

And a shout out to Peter, it was a great battle back through the field with you. :D
Yeah, I watched it too, and couldn't really single out any fault. The starts were pretty clean.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2014, 08:46:19 AM »
I just wanted to watch it...and realised my replay size went back to 10MB.   I've no idea what these guys are thinking with these replays....even at 500MB it's small, I've got 16GB ram, please allow me to use something like 4GB for replays.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »
I've just watched the replay of race one and the turn 1 shunt looks like a racing incident, 4 wide all in each others blind spot (I thought it was only 3 wide on the night).

Yeah, I watched it too, and couldn't really single out any fault. The starts were pretty clean.

I havent seen the incident at all but am sure Dick was at fault.

I just wanted to watch it...and realised my replay size went back to 10MB.   I've no idea what these guys are thinking with these replays....even at 500MB it's small, I've got 16GB ram, please allow me to use something like 4GB for replays.

Not sure if its possible for a 32 bit app to use more then 4gb total. Wouod really need to go 64bit then we could set replay size to fill much more ram. I dont know if its possible to run a seperate app for record8ng replays to ram independant to the main executable to allow at least a full 4gb just for replay and then also leav a full 4gb for the game itself. If 500MB is being taken out of the 4gb available to the game then this will have issues on larger tracks and its really odd that in 2014 most games are still 32 bit.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2014, 02:44:47 PM »
It'd definitely be possible to write to disc directly, even if in chunks. 
But I guess they're very backwards about that as well;  it'd slow down the game on systems without an SSD, somewhat.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal