Vsync

Author Topic: Vsync  (Read 11071 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Vsync
« on: September 06, 2015, 12:50:31 PM »
I have been racing with vsync off, but I saw in one of Kunos' recent coding streams that he said he has implemented some kind of internal triple-buffering when it's on. I turned vsync on in-game, and it now looks silky smooth. You do get a tiny bit of input lag, but for me it was no biggie. If you currently jave vsync off, it might be worth trying it on and see if you get nice, fluid gameplay.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: Vsync
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 02:09:39 PM »
I am having all sorts of trouble with AC.  If it's not stuttering intermittently, it's creating objects all over the track or it's freezing for a second or so at a time, or crashing all together.

I don't know if it's Windows 10 related, but I've been having issues ever since 1.2.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 03:26:24 PM »
I am having all sorts of trouble with AC.  If it's not stuttering intermittently, it's creating objects all over the track or it's freezing for a second or so at a time, or crashing all together.

I don't know if it's Windows 10 related, but I've been having issues ever since 1.2.
To me, that sounds like a dying or overheating video card, if you're getting weird artefacting like that. I used to game on my laptop, but over time it started to draw extra surfaces here and there, and now I can't really game on it any more.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 04:51:49 PM »
Previously with vsync on I'd get times where the FPS would drop really low. Will give it another try though if its been improved.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 05:17:04 PM »
Previously with vsync on I'd get times where the FPS would drop really low. Will give it another try though if its been improved.

Yes, the frame rate will drop from 60 to 30, for instance, exactly halving, if it drops too low. I seemed to be OK, stuck on 60 FPS. There is also NVidia adaptive vsync (which only applies vsync while your FPS is above 60, to avoid it dropping down to half your refresh rate), but I wanted to use the vsync built into the game (as opposed to the video driver), to try out Kunos' recent optimisations.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 06:06:07 PM »

To me, that sounds like a dying or overheating video card, if you're getting weird artefacting like that. I used to game on my laptop, but over time it started to draw extra surfaces here and there, and now I can't really game on it any more.

I've tried monitoring both CPU and GPU temps and neither are getting hot.  I guess that doesn't mean that one of them isn't going to blow!  Let's just hope it doesn't happen during a league race ;)

The strange thing with the artifacts is that it's not just randomly happening when driving.  It's like they are loaded in as an actual object because they are in the same place, lap after lap the same as a fence or something.

I wonder if it could be something to do with the post-processing filters?  It seems to occur more in foggy or overcast weather.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 06:26:43 PM »
Don't know. I used to play Unreal Tournament on my laptop, and the same map would have screwy walls and floor in the same place. Maybe a video driver update is somehow incompatible.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 10:01:49 PM »
So here's how my debugging went:

* turned off all apps.
* Hurrah! No problems racing on a server.
* Turned on a couple of important apps I use... Some artifacting and a little stuttering... onto something here.
* Turn off Mini Apps... all good again... it has to be Mini Apps then...
* Turn on Mini Apps to double check... everything fine!...
* Jump into server with Minorating to see if that was the issue... No problem, some slight stutter.

So my conclusions thus far is that my problems could be none, some or all of my apps and it may or may not be Minorating.  Problem solved!  Next step is to see if driving with white socks v black socks is causing my problems.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 10:07:25 PM »
or wearing mankinis and giving me bad mental image could be the cause
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 11:23:45 PM »
So here's how my debugging went:

* turned off all apps.
* Hurrah! No problems racing on a server.
* Turned on a couple of important apps I use... Some artifacting and a little stuttering... onto something here.
* Turn off Mini Apps... all good again... it has to be Mini Apps then...
* Turn on Mini Apps to double check... everything fine!...
* Jump into server with Minorating to see if that was the issue... No problem, some slight stutter.

So my conclusions thus far is that my problems could be none, some or all of my apps and it may or may not be Minorating.  Problem solved!  Next step is to see if driving with white socks v black socks is causing my problems.

I have seen that the way the apps are drawn on the screen has given SLI configurations grief in the past. I know you don't have SLI, but it shows that there's something fishy or different about the way the apps are drawn on the screen. Perhaps any apps at all is stressing your video card somehow. So if you have all apps off, everything's good? Is that at least a fact?

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 06:42:45 AM »
I haven't done enough testing to see if all apps off definitely helps, but it certainly seemed better.   Do you know Wally whether an app is still active and effecting my game if it is on in the general options menu but not displayed in the game?

I plan on turning everything off tonight to be safe, except PLP.   I have a suspicion mini apps, stracker or RSR could be causing my issues.

BTW, has anyone tried racing at 8:30am in AC?  Did this at Mugello and it looked stunning!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 07:58:30 AM »
I think an app can still be active if it's ticked in the options. But in your case, I would guess that it's apps being displayed on the screen while you're driving that may be causing issues.

I often drive at either early morning or late afternoon, because with God rays and all, it often looks brilliant. I don't set the league races like that though because the sun is often too bright for some people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal