Xtreme Gaming Network

H-Shifter Speed Boost

Author Topic: H-Shifter Speed Boost  (Read 27133 times)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: H-Shifter Speed Boost
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 05:14:40 PM »
You don't have to heel-toe with the shifter either.
I left foot brake and throttle-blip on downshifts, I get most. :P
( can't turn my right foot inwards)

2+2=√16

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 05:41:21 PM »
You don't have to heel-toe with the shifter either.
I left foot brake and throttle-blip on downshifts, I get most. :P
( can't turn my right foot inwards)

How do you use the clutch?

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 05:43:40 PM »
I don't.
The clutch is for starts and upshifts only. ;)

2+2=√16

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 05:48:17 PM »
I don't.

I didn't think it went into gear without the clutch when downshifting?  Interesting.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 05:52:17 PM »
You should do a test Marty and see what your best time at Imola in the Elise SC with paddles is and do a side-by-side vid of your hotlap with and without paddles to see the difference.

You'd be one of the few that could test it properly.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 05:59:45 PM »
You should do a test Marty and see what your best time at Imola in the Elise SC with paddles is and do a side-by-side vid of your hotlap with and without paddles to see the difference.

Mary will throw the test results. He hates us for haxing with our paddles...  :) He loves his H-shifter and is going to marry it as soon as 1.0 drops.

Marty may H-shift but he is not hard-core Like Sally. He SIMs-out to the max* and right hand shifts. That's dedicated.
How about you other H-shifter guys?

*under review for trademarking.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:03:49 PM by Dick Forrest »

Offline cramjet

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 06:15:07 PM »
My chair is built so the shifter is to my left..not sure how that will play out with the rift when I think all in game cars are left hand drive. The few times I've tried VR it can be a bit disconcerting when things aren't where you think they should be (tables.... legs, hands).

I'd say paddles are quicker when you are slower - once you can master heel-toe and proper rev matching the H-shifter gives a slight advantage. Fair enough, I think.

Full damage would be fun too but would definitely result in a spread out field as everybody behind Marty and GB limps home to the pits after the inevitable 1st corner blitz.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 06:17:58 PM »

Marty will throw the test results. He hates us for haxing with our paddles...  :) He loves his H-shifter and is going to marry it as soon as 1.0 drops.

Marty may H-shift but he is not hard-core Like Sally. He SIMs-out to the max* and right hand shifts. That's dedicated.

I could do that just like Dick has crazy pace in practice for a race but then backs off to ensure he stays in his fast lotus.  I dont really care if its faster or slower with the shifter I just prefer using a shifter in real cars and in sims if I get the option. Was quite amazed last round Dick as I was never going to get by you in practice and I was on the limit just as I was in each session, however you never got ahead of me after the practice session which was the biggest surprise of the round to me.  ;)

To do a test with shifter and without does it do auto blip for you when you disable the shifter, do you paddlers need to enable auto clutch or how does that work. As I have always just left the shifter on then drive the car with whichever method it has.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:20:09 PM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »
I don't.

I didn't think it went into gear without the clutch when downshifting?  Interesting.

It does if you rev match.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 06:35:07 PM »

Mary will throw the test results. He hates us for haxing with our paddles...  :) He loves his H-shifter and is going to marry it as soon as 1.0 drops.

I'm not sure who this "Sally" is... but should I be checking my room for hidden webcams? How did you know I right-hand shift?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 06:40:23 PM »
You have to blip yourself with paddles.  Unless you turn auto-blip on.

Just gave the H shifter a go.  Yesterday I spent a lot of time on Marty's server with the E30 DTM and Silverstone National and fluked a lap that I was never able to get close to again.  I would have been a couple of tenths off at my best on every other try.  That was my PB and a record in RSR.

Anyway, using the H shifter just then I beat it by almost half a second... on a couple occasions and in only 15 minutes of trying.  And that's me without hardly any practice using shifter and certainly not getting the most out of it.

One thing I did notice is that using the H shifter the car was a lot smoother into corners and didn't want to step out as much.  I found it better under brakes in terms of handling.

Anyway, time to ice the knee!  But at least I have one record on RSR for now with the shifter!

BTW it was more fun with the shifter... I wish I was able to use one regularly.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:42:48 PM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
I like H shifting, when your H sifting there is more things to think about, more body mechanics going on and more things can go wrong. Paddle shifting your hands never leave the wheel, so there is a big advantage right there, easier to get into a rhythm. When you get someone that can master a H shifter, they are rewarded accordingly!!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 06:47:52 PM »
I don't.

It does if you rev match.

Is this normal for cars in real life?  Every car IRL I've driven in any sort of anger I've always been taught to throttle blip and clutch.  When I first started driving in my little Celica (I'm not a girl!) I used to change by double pumping the clutch from gear to neutral to gear.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »
No idea. I've not been game to try in real life.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 07:13:34 PM »
No idea. I've not been game to try in real life.

No point having teeth if you don't clean em!

And you told us on TS that you right hand shift a few weeks ago... Well, I hope you where talking about H-shifting...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal