Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 2: Silverstone International Chat

Author Topic: Round 2: Silverstone International Chat  (Read 77177 times)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
Re: Round 2: Silverstone International Chat
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2014, 12:48:21 PM »
Some drivers use different braking point and techinques also.I tend to apply lighter pressure for longer just to keep the speed on exit,some other I noticed brake almost suddenly.It is also true that  learning the behave of the opponent is paramount ..and that's what happened to me in the last race.

This is why I like to learn around RL drivers. It's important to learn when racing against real people who are trying to have fun as well.
Also RL people are far more dynamic than AI. And sometimes when real people lose, they get sad and knowing that, makes me happy
no no, I'm joking!!  :D

I'm not even at the stage where race position bothers me. I'm still getting stoked at doing repeated clean laps.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2014, 01:21:47 PM »
Dick I think learning to drive in the middle of an AI pack is well worth it too, especially learning to hold an inside or outside line when side by side. Real people are different mostly less observant then the AI  :) but also quite a bit harder to pass as not many humans follow the same exact line lap after lap making the same mistake you can use to pass the entire field quite easily. Also the AI dont cry if you hit them so you will get less pleasure out of causing them misery.  ;)

The good thing with the practice server is that if there are enough people you can practice passing people again less chance of tears and so pleasure for some but good practice still. No matter what its all just for fun with no real damage or repair costs so if you mess up just say sorry and that should be as far as it goes.

General rules Id say is if your getting lapped dont hold any lead lap guys up as much as possible. Hold your line no need to run off track or anything and dont panic. If your passing for position then you need to put your car in a position that forces the guy ahead to give you room, still some drivers will be fairer then others and in many cases you may just need to wait for them to make a mistake. If you pressure anyone for long enough there is a good chance they will make a small error at least that opens the door enough.

Watching replays of your incidents is good as quite often what you think was the other guys fault can quite easily also be partially or fully your own fault and so a good way to learn from them. Basically just run a few races and no matter what speed your at if you drive fair and clean giving enough racing room but no need to submit to everything people will happily race with you.

Mixing up different speed cars just adds to the carnage especially if there is a long battle where the cars differences really show up, I think it would have been pretty cool in the last race mid pack with both cars running similar pace. I remember having a good full race battle with guybrush in the 458 vs mclaren where the differences were more subtle but still enough to mix things up a little as each car was better in different parts of the track.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2014, 02:10:07 PM »
Dick I think learning to drive in the middle of an AI pack is well worth it too, especially learning to hold an inside or outside line when side by side. Real people are different mostly less observant then the AI  :) but also quite a bit harder to pass as not many humans follow the same exact line lap after lap making the same mistake you can use to pass the entire field quite easily. Also the AI dont cry if you hit them so you will get less pleasure out of causing them misery.  ;)

The good thing with the practice server is that if there are enough people you can practice passing people again less chance of tears and so pleasure for some but good practice still. No matter what its all just for fun with no real damage or repair costs so if you mess up just say sorry and that should be as far as it goes.

General rules Id say is if your getting lapped dont hold any lead lap guys up as much as possible. Hold your line no need to run off track or anything and dont panic. If your passing for position then you need to put your car in a position that forces the guy ahead to give you room, still some drivers will be fairer then others and in many cases you may just need to wait for them to make a mistake. If you pressure anyone for long enough there is a good chance they will make a small error at least that opens the door enough.

Watching replays of your incidents is good as quite often what you think was the other guys fault can quite easily also be partially or fully your own fault and so a good way to learn from them. Basically just run a few races and no matter what speed your at if you drive fair and clean giving enough racing room but no need to submit to everything people will happily race with you.

Mixing up different speed cars just adds to the carnage especially if there is a long battle where the cars differences really show up, I think it would have been pretty cool in the last race mid pack with both cars running similar pace. I remember having a good full race battle with guybrush in the 458 vs mclaren where the differences were more subtle but still enough to mix things up a little as each car was better in different parts of the track.

Thanks Marty! you are a mentor to me! I listen to what all you guys teach me. It is a huge learning curve I'm on. Of cause I came into SIM racing thinking "meh I can do this" but my ego writes checks my skills can't cash. I have to suck it up and start from the beginning. Getting it all into practice takes me time.

A few times when I was on the grass at Silverstone I was just conserving my tyers. they last longer driving on grass you know?....
 ok i had slid off. Then finding a gap I'm confident in rejoining without interfering with you guys.
I know I suffer from choking under pressure from many other online games. I know AI don't bother me like that. And it's a personal goal I want to kick.
I probably spend too much time looking in my mirrors to see which one of you jerks is about to over take me :) You are all nice jerks btw!
just too fast! Even learning to let you guys pass is something that needs to be practiced.

you are right I can learn from AI races and I certainly do them a fair bit. They can be pretty stupid at times though!
Like if i break early and go into a corner slowly, the AI behind will ram me instead of going around even when they have plenty of room and time.

Next week I hope to be lapped less on Monza. It's my most practiced track and the E30 is pretty much my most practiced car.
I'm well practiced at making mic noise now as well. I hope you are impressed :)

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2014, 02:43:56 PM »
Fun reading guys!!
Race 1: I qual low 12 (Actually i am in position 10  in the official times  8)).....ahead of wally...... ::),a little back stabbing here i know but my races are bullshit so far.... >:( so i was saying  I was having a good battle with Glenn and someone else when exiting the corner before the straight i must have hit the curb to hard and i lost it,clearly i noob mistake...fark,,,sorry! After that i T-bone someone at that fast curve at the end of the back straight and after that i just tried to make it up but was too hard.

Race 2: Tragically ended when i sent bacchulum 180 ,jusssssst a touch on his back under braking was enough to ruin mine and his race,,,apologies!!...annnnnd i remember to re-address.

So even though my speed was competitive,it seams i can put it together in the race...great fun!!

....i found the game a bit laggish last night,in one instance my car disappeared while i was following close another car,and reappeared in front....i loved it though,... :P
\
No biggy Simone, I just could not figure what had happened and then with no replay I was a bit baffled.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
I agree Glen I think DTM's probably better for the season points then last race, I got lucky as had pretty big PC issues race 1 so luckily the DTM helped me get back some points but either way I would have been in a DTM for race 2. Quite likely after Monza most of the GRPa cars will be in DTM's the next week though some may still be up fairly high in points for the season. Still its early days and first season so more of a learning experience, quite a good way of mixing things up with the multi car season and it will be some interesting battles if I find a dtm car around my pace at Monza.

Rennesport will be racking up the points this week, the DTM is quite fun to drive will be hard giving up the extra grunt and gear this week but trading that for some more position battles should be fun.

Yer i guess it being early days we will see how the cookie crumbles.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2014, 02:48:26 PM »
You will probably lap me as its one track I get bored at very quickly and so have hardly run it at all, its a simple layout but still needs a lot to master. Really needs almost over commitment for a good lap time which is not really my style but maybe I will just need to hope others make more errors then me.

Mike noises I just recorded the chat in the first race and found the ones that press birds button the most with my special Bird sensors, that my hackers I mean mechanics hooked up earlier while also working on my DTM. Now these are on a random loop as they were still playing even with my mike off most of last race.  ;)

Those damn hackers though I asked what they could do to the group A for Monza and all they said is they can turn up the sound a bit more.

Offline BJSRacer

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2014, 03:36:02 PM »
This punting is obviously something I'd like to avoid, as it ruins races. I hope you at least got a redress. With more support from the server, I'd hope eventually to get some kind of penalties in place.

I have no issues with someone making a mistake and then being on the receiving end of it, that's racing, but it is what we do afterwards that counts in the battered book of racing etiquette. Anyway, enough of this. DTM@Monza = Silver lining :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:41:22 PM by BJSRacer »

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2014, 03:46:34 PM »

Those damn hackers though I asked what they could do to the group A for Monza and all they said is they can turn up the sound a bit more.

This reminds me, I just got my car back from my Irish mechanic. Said my breaks where faulty so he made my horn louder....

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2014, 03:47:12 PM »
I've added some more charts, which are probably more informative than the crowded "gap to leader" type charts.

You can see them here, for Silverstone: http://xgnassettocorsa.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/s1r2-bmw-m3-e30-at-silvertone.html

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2014, 03:54:53 PM »
Nice Wally would like to see that chart from round 1 as I was in all sorts of positions there, a bit uneventful for me in this race and I prefer the look of the gap to leader chart here.  :D

I wonder is it possible to graph everyones laptimes in some way? may look a bit crowded but along the same format as it will show everyones relative pace each lap. Could be interesting just like all the other awesome data you have put together so far.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2014, 04:06:51 PM »
I've just done Imola too.
I have all the data - just need to find good ways to present it. I remember trying to find a way to present lap times back in the netKar days, and I found that the Gap to Leader graph was the best way to do it. But if you have any suggestions or examples, then post them!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2014, 04:17:18 PM »
I think those 2 graphs work well.  I guess if you wanted something else you could do a graph that had lap time on the y axis - have the fastest lap at the top and then  .5 or 1 second increments up to 10 seconds slower than the fastest lap, and then you could have lap number on the x axis?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2014, 04:55:32 PM »
I think those 2 graphs work well.  I guess if you wanted something else you could do a graph that had lap time on the y axis - have the fastest lap at the top and then  .5 or 1 second increments up to 10 seconds slower than the fastest lap, and then you could have lap number on the x axis?

Do you mean something like this masterpiece?

Not that informative!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2014, 05:22:14 PM »
Is that abstract art  :D

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2014, 05:23:17 PM »
Looks like a Pro Hart. :o

2+2=√16