Xtreme Gaming Network

S11R1: Barbagallo pre-race chat

Author Topic: S11R1: Barbagallo pre-race chat  (Read 24432 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: S11R1: Barbagallo pre-race chat
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2016, 09:39:44 AM »
I maybe wrong, but 7.1 is "made" out of stereo by mixing things in all sort of funny ways, i.e. software trying to guess where things should sound. That can degrade quality.

Now, more importantly though...in a headphone 7.1. is madness.  Think about it.  You've two ears, two cans are covering it; each ear can detect sound - BUT NO DIRECTION!
So you basically give directional sound to a non-directional receiver.  If that's not a waste then nothing is.

Quality cans over gimmicks, anytime for me ;)
(I'm using some Beyerdynamic T90's - I can only recommend them highly)

I'd expect your headphones to make my dinner for 7 x the price!

But for around $100 the ones I got are rated as some of the best:
http://m.au.ign.com/articles/2015/04/24/hyperx-cloud-2-review

It seems 7.1 is good for games that are mixed with 7.1 audio in mind.  I'm not sure how to tell with AC but I assume it has it as it was neat listening to other cars tyres screech and moan all around me and hear the sound pass behind me, in front, etc. with a nice transitioning effect.

It seems 7.1 is particularly useful for FPS games though, and being able to identify the position of enemy based on where their footsteps are coming from, etc.

7.1 only makes sense if you actually have 7 speakers around the room - then your *two* ears can pick it up where it comes from.
In headphones, it makes no difference, as I said, because you just can't tell where it's coming from with one ear. (think: you are not hearing any of the speakers in the left earpiece with your right ear!)
It's a gimmick.

And yes, my cans make my dinner, regularly.  Sometimes even a breakfast. :D 

On the cheap, the AudioTechnica ATH-AD700 is highly recommended everywhere.  It's light and sounds pretty damn good for the price.  I've used them before the beyer. 

I've tried some other cheaper cans (i.e. below $300); sennheiser, bose, and a few really cheap ones, but they were either uncomfortable, sounded crap, or bad build quality (that was the bose!) or all of these.  It's surprising how many companies try to sell audio equipment without even making an effort, sadly.  And people are just buying it.

Although a disclaimer here; most people can't make out a difference between mediocre and high quality sound equipment.  So it may not be an issue, really - except for those who do want something better than average.

Edit:
oh, sorry; I did not mean to poo-poo the quality of those headphones of yours, even though it now sounds like it. I've never listened in on them, so they maybe very good - if you like the sound, it's good.  The microphone certainly sounds miles ahead of what you had before :)  But the 7.1 in headphones - that part is useless.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:44:03 AM by Bird »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2016, 10:07:53 AM »
@Phil.8 asked about surround sound level settings last night.

http://www.xgn.com.au/index.php?topic=453.0

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2016, 10:08:51 AM »
I maybe wrong, but 7.1 is "made" out of stereo by mixing things in all sort of funny ways, i.e. software trying to guess where things should sound. That can degrade quality.

Now, more importantly though...in a headphone 7.1. is madness.  Think about it.  You've two ears, two cans are covering it; each ear can detect sound - BUT NO DIRECTION!
So you basically give directional sound to a non-directional receiver.  If that's not a waste then nothing is.

Quality cans over gimmicks, anytime for me ;)
(I'm using some Beyerdynamic T90's - I can only recommend them highly)

I'd expect your headphones to make my dinner for 7 x the price!

But for around $100 the ones I got are rated as some of the best:
http://m.au.ign.com/articles/2015/04/24/hyperx-cloud-2-review

It seems 7.1 is good for games that are mixed with 7.1 audio in mind.  I'm not sure how to tell with AC but I assume it has it as it was neat listening to other cars tyres screech and moan all around me and hear the sound pass behind me, in front, etc. with a nice transitioning effect.

It seems 7.1 is particularly useful for FPS games though, and being able to identify the position of enemy based on where their footsteps are coming from, etc.

7.1 only makes sense if you actually have 7 speakers around the room - then your *two* ears can pick it up where it comes from.
In headphones, it makes no difference, as I said, because you just can't tell where it's coming from with one ear. (think: you are not hearing any of the speakers in the left earpiece with your right ear!)
It's a gimmick.

And yes, my cans make my dinner, regularly.  Sometimes even a breakfast. :D 

On the cheap, the AudioTechnica ATH-AD700 is highly recommended everywhere.  It's light and sounds pretty damn good for the price.  I've used them before the beyer. 

I've tried some other cheaper cans (i.e. below $300); sennheiser, bose, and a few really cheap ones, but they were either uncomfortable, sounded crap, or bad build quality (that was the bose!) or all of these.  It's surprising how many companies try to sell audio equipment without even making an effort, sadly.  And people are just buying it.

Although a disclaimer here; most people can't make out a difference between mediocre and high quality sound equipment.  So it may not be an issue, really - except for those who do want something better than average.

Edit:
oh, sorry; I did not mean to poo-poo the quality of those headphones of yours, even though it now sounds like it. I've never listened in on them, so they maybe very good - if you like the sound, it's good.  The microphone certainly sounds miles ahead of what you had before :)  But the 7.1 in headphones - that part is useless.
Surround sound works in headphones. Just go and have a listen Bird  8)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2016, 10:29:49 AM »
You know what, I'll just say "I believe you" and let it go :)

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2016, 10:50:18 AM »
@Phil.8 asked about surround sound level settings last night.

http://www.xgn.com.au/index.php?topic=453.0

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Vipergod

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2016, 06:22:37 PM »
Sorry guys im out tonight
Something major wrong with pc, have had to do a full reinstall again
Will have fixed by next round i hope

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2016, 06:43:20 PM »
Don't forget to make sure you have the latest version of the PLP app, needed for the start lights!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2016, 07:02:42 PM »
Sorry guys im out tonight
Something major wrong with pc, have had to do a full reinstall again
Will have fixed by next round i hope
Farkenell, your luck really isn't up with these bloody PCs.  Do you need any help?

Offline Vipergod

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2016, 07:45:48 PM »
Na m8 seems ok ATM
I reckon the graphics card has fried   it got real hot the other day
Last night it went into meltdown  beeped its head of   then got windows error could not reboot
funny  though it just finished a windows update   hopeing thats all is wrong (and maybe card GTX550TI bit old now)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2016, 07:38:05 AM »
Maybe it has reached the end of its life.  Best of luck!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal