Xtreme Gaming Network

S12R4: Spa Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S12R4: Spa Post-Race Chat  (Read 9972 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S12R4: Spa Post-Race Chat
« on: July 05, 2016, 09:11:23 PM »
RACE RESULTS

Penalties
Race 1, AJ (+80 kg) for running into the back of Wally.

Round Points

NameQualRace 1Race 2BonusTotal
Marty
Grat
Phil.8
Mael
Freezer
hylas
Matthew111
Doobs
Rob
Wally
Bacchulum
AJ
Vipergod
Chap111
Congratulations to Marty on the clean sweep: pole, fastest laps, both round wins.

Season Podium
1. Marty, 273
2. Matthew111, 251
3. Phil.8, 236

Season Podium

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 11:25:13 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: S12R4: Spa Post-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 10:20:16 PM »
Good race for a change which was  strange as I thought I was miles of the pace after noticing Marty's laptimes on stracker. Pitting late and taking new tires was a good move  :D

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 10:45:47 PM »
I felt tonight went quite well for me, I managed to get to the finish line on both races, quite happy with that considering I had mucked up a few gear shifts early on in both races and by lap 5 on both races I had a yellow gearbox. Finishing both races with a very orange gearbox...

Both races I had some close racing with many of you and it was all very clean. I might of been pushing a little bit over the limit at times but managed to keep it together. Don't know what is different in my game since last race but this time I wasn't getting any of the animation during pitting, it just flickered for a second and then I was sitting in the car just waiting for it to let me go. Is that just what happens when you don't take tires?

Thanks for another great night, I'll cya all in Barcelona next week? Whenever it is, I'll be there :)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 10:48:51 PM »
Was a bit of a hotlap session tonight but at least this is a car thats fun just to do laps in. Reverse top 10 race 2 would have spiced things up a bit more this season as in practice racing others was great fun here.

In the practice session I tried to see if I could force a faster time out of this car but seems its best to just go for controlled braking, hitting apexes and getting nice exits. I tried a few laps of over driving but then backed off again and set a pb of at the end of practice with still a bit of fuel and a couple small errors.

Race 1 shame about the start with a few getting taken out early, I don't think restarts are a bad thing in some circumstances if an incident would be a red flag type thing. Seeing the replay though it was just a couple separate silly errors that damaged a few cars.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 10:54:36 PM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 11:41:34 PM »
Yeah, in race 1 I think it was only me taken out by AJ clipping my rear wheel and sending me into the wall coming out of Eau Rouge, which totalled my car, and Bacchulum coming in too hot at the end of Kemmel Straight and running into someone mid-corner. Just unfortunate racing incidents, really, and not worth a restart.

Race 1 was a non-event, with my car garaged after Eau Rouge on the 1st lap.

Race 2, I was settling into a rhythm, only to have Mael and Hylas's Ferraris blast past me. I was running fairly high aero, and had enough fuel to see me to lap 9 - maybe that's why I was slow. What aero were Mael and Hylas running?
I dropped back from Mael and Hylas in the first stint, but after pitting late, I came out in between Matthew and Hylas. The gap between all three of us was closing, closing... I was trying to get past the ballasted Matthew, and got a tow up Kemmel Straight on a late lap and pulled out beside him, but I was out of revs, hitting the limiter and just didn't have enough puff to get past him. I had a bit of an oversteer moment on the last lap under pressure from Hylas, but managed to hold on to it. I finished 0.6 behind Matthew and 0.7 in front of Hylas.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 11:47:11 PM »
Well after being reasonably quick in pre race practice I couldn't put a lap together in qualifying and started 10th.
R1: Got an awesome jump to be in 3rd after the 1st lap.  From there I was trying to keep with Matthew and then about half way through he pulled out.  After the stop I had a wobble off a kerb and glanced a fence which saw Grat and Mael go by.  With slight damage I couldn't recover the lost ground and came home 4th.
R2: I again got a decent start grabbing a spot or two and was behind Bacculum but a few laps in he had a wide at Eau Rouge and I slipped by.  This put him and Matthew together a couple of second behind me.  I could see them battling each other which kept them off my tail for a handful of laps.  After the stop I came out with Mael a few seconds back.  He gradually caught me and by the last lap was on my tail.  I went defensive into the final chicane and he went deep around the outside (just think Hamilton and Rosberg :) ).  We both got sideways under brakes but I went right around whereas he caught his and got through to take 4th.
Pretty hard but good nights racing...

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 01:01:16 AM »
The following is what I ended up going with for my setup in the races.

Gears: 1st: 12/29 2nd: 17/31 3rd: 17/25 4th: 19/23 5th: 21/24 Final Gear Ratio: 8/36
Tires: all 19psi
Suspension: Front ARB 5, Rear ARB 1
Aero: Front Wing 5, Rear Wing 6
I changed my Dampers for tonight aswell, all Bump on 3, all Rebound on 6. Which is what the default spa setup had on it.

I only changed the final gear ratio in Gears but you did mention you were getting different max speeds, were all the other gears set the same as mine here Wally? I started tonight's setup from editing last week's, which is what I've been doing all season, just editing from the previous week. Originally starting from one of Marty's setups on Week 1. I like to think it's working well, but there's probably a much better way of making a setup.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 08:02:18 AM »
I usually just keep last week's set up too. I'm not sure what my gearing was off the top of my head. I usually seem to stuff up my gearing.  I don't really pay enough attention to it, other than to set the top gear for the straight.

How do others set up their gearing for each track?

My aero was quite a bit higher (nearly max).  There wasn't much difference between our best lap times. We just achieved it in different ways.  But like Marty said in the pre-race chat, lower aero would have been better as higher aero made me easier to pass.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 08:06:31 AM by Wally »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 08:49:41 AM »
Last few races I havent made many changes to my setup, I think this round I just went a little bit stiffer up the front with possibly minor gear changes. Aero wise in this car I have gone max front each round and rear just set to balance out the rear. I have that as low as I can without losing the rear at high speed corners,I tend to stiffe up the front a bit to avoid any chance of getting aero loose at speed and to be good around the slow corners. In practice even with my fairly high aero I was able to draft past others but the gain in the middle of the lap was fairly significant and much easier to drive then lower aero which onky gained a few kmh but was slower overall. These cars dont get a lot of downforce especially at the front end so I find this needs to be maxed out everywhere, maybe Monza woukd be the onky olace id run lower front aero to be abe to get the rear down lower for less drag.

For gear ratios I set 1st at Spa so it was usable at t1 and the last chicane with 5th to not be on the limiter at the fastest point. Other gears I try to space out evenly but then may adjust some ratios for certain corners, at Spa 3rd was used i to many corners so this was a key gear.

I did run a few laps at Barcelona just in RSR pro mode using my Spa setup and its not far off actually, I just changed pressures and in 6 laps beat my pb there. That is a fair bit trickier then Spa and more technical, I think I missed about 2 apexes last nite in all sessions but hitting them all at Barcelona isnt as easy.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 10:49:16 AM »

Race 2, I was settling into a rhythm, only to have Mael and Hylas's Ferraris blast past me. I was running fairly high aero, and had enough fuel to see me to lap 9 - maybe that's why I was slow. What aero were Mael and Hylas running?

Was running 7/6 aero but had rather unusual gearing for me. A long  first gear (used 1st gear 3 times a lap) meant my other gears were spaced closer together.  AS for when I managed to get pass it was really just one of the few occasions were I managed to carry speed through Eau Rouge which gives a lot of speed down the straight.

I suspect Marty probably found something in Eau Rouge which nobody else did  ;D .

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 12:17:09 PM »
I might have to pay a bit more attention to gearing next round. I like Marty's approach : set 1st, set 5th, then spread the rest evenly, perhaps with some tweaks for specific corners. I rarely use 1st, in general. I suppose you should make the slowest corner be a 1st gear corner.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 01:28:38 PM »
I suspect Marty probably found something in Eau Rouge which nobody else did  ;D .

I found I was slowest through Eau Rogue and Blanchimont looking at stracker data vs most of the other quicker laps, if I needed to really push Id go a little harder there but mostly just aiming to stay off the curbs and in control. There was a few tenths in a smaller brake and earlier throttle but miss the line by a few cm and it would cost heaps and possibly even end in a wall.

I had a big moment last lap race 2 exiting Blanchimont as I was pushing for a sub 2:17 seeing Phil put in some quick laps and I just missed the entry ran wide and a big slap on the exit as I ran too wide not wanting to lift off. My speed was mostpy through consistancy and just focusing on not out braking myself hitting apexes and powering out when I could. Going a few meters too deep or locking a wheel coukd easily cost .5 to 1 second per corner so avoid that over 14 laps and it can be worth 10 seconds or more.

Being absolutely on the brake limit and nailing it may gain .2 or .3 in the lap assuming you dont miss one entry which already costs more then that gain.  ;) I saw many others trying to force pace out of the car and really if its sliding too much or your missing apexes and running wide its just throwing away time. I never really push 100% on the brakes as I cant avoid errors there if being on the very edge of braking but as its the smallest gain its the last place I push for a time. If I need to pull out a quick lap I just focus on avoiding mistakes more then trying for blind luck to overcommit and hope it sticks.

Seeing these cars ony have 5 gears then if the track has some very slow corners I aim for 1st gear to be used. At Spa I only used 1st at the first turn and final chicane with most corners being 2nd or 3rd gear only Eau Rogue in 4th and Blanchimont slight lift on entry and 5th. Using 1st on track will cost some speed off the line but id rather take a poorer start then be in between gears 2x per lap over 14 laps having a shorter 1st.

Also having the maxed rpm gives some more room to work with avoiding some very short shifts up then back down but also means more care needs to be made with shifts as 1 bad q can be race over. The middle of the lap I never needed 5th and 5th gear was set pretty much for Blanchimont to be able to lift in and still get good power out without a shift. 4th was set for Eau rogue to be abe to shift down without unsettling the rear too much and be in a good rev range coming up the hill.

The key thing I think in most cars and especially ones like this is to go quick you actually need to know where to go slow and where its not worth pushing too much. There were a few corners where short shifting was a touch slower but much more consistant by keeping the rear settled on acceleration. When the grip was down I found I had quite a bit of coasting and waiting to get on power compared to once the grip comes up.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 05:11:49 PM »
Sorry to everyone for the Les Combe debacle on lap 1, race 1.
Especially Grat who I directly rear ended. :(
Couldn't continue after doing that.

Race 2 I had no rhythm and mangled a 'box. ::)
An all round shitty night for me. :'(

2+2=√16

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 06:02:43 PM »
yeah horrid night was so tired and the car was al over the place understeer then oversteer just wasnt nice to drive and then then weight pen killed all its top speed lol race 1 i rooted the gearbox from being so tired lol
do you even motorsports?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 07:04:25 PM »
yeah horrid night was so tired and the car was al over the place understeer then oversteer just wasnt nice to drive and then then weight pen killed all its top speed lol race 1 i rooted the gearbox from being so tired lol
What happened to your teammate?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal