Xtreme Gaming Network

S14R1: Misano Pre-race Chat

Author Topic: S14R1: Misano Pre-race Chat  (Read 15720 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: S14R1: Misano Pre-race Chat
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »
So with the formation lap are we confirming that there will be a penalty if there is overlap before the start line?

Oh, btw, I'm not going to be able to make it Tuesday night - away for work again.
No, I'm not going to bother with penalties for overlapping before the start line - too much work. It will have to be an honour system. Collisions in the formation lap will be penalised though.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »
So with the formation lap are we confirming that there will be a penalty if there is overlap before the start line?

Oh, btw, I'm not going to be able to make it Tuesday night - away for work again.

I thought it was just not permitted to gain a postion before the start of the lap. Not allowing any overlap would be a good rule but would mean Wally needs to check the start which I think he does anyway for lap 1 penalties. If it is single file then I guess that no overlap should happen between the last turn and start line.

Bummer your missing another round too.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2016, 03:56:05 PM »
Yeah, I would expect no overlap until after the start line.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 05:55:16 PM »
See how they did all those single file rolling starts at Bathurst? That's how well be starting.

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 07:36:14 PM »
I see the sheep stations are on the table again.  :P

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 08:42:54 PM »
I think we've discussed the rolling starts to death, but just wanted to ask if we are after realism, would it not be more true to life if there was no "Go Go Go" over TeamSpeak?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 09:11:24 PM »
I think we've discussed the rolling starts to death, but just wanted to ask if we are after realism, would it not be more true to life if there was no "Go Go Go" over TeamSpeak?

In Blancpain GT3 series that we are loosely basing this on they have a rolling formation with the race started by a green light, its not like a race restart that is up to the lead driver to control the race start.

Technically you would want the green light to be set by someone else other then the leader, but being single file I really dont think it makes any difference as we arent meant to pass before the line anyway. Leader can set the start which is much easier to do rather then someone that cant even see the lead or then be able to say in a replay at what point they called go.

The start format should just keep cars in single file until all cross the line and that in itself may cause issues if someone checks up ahead and the rest of the pack piles in. There really is no perfect way to start a race and at some point it has to go down to the drivers trying their best to avoid causing a collision with anyone else at any point. Accidents will happen even if people do their best especially in cars like this that will have cold tyres and no ABS into t1 with a tight pack into t1.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:49:48 PM by marty »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 09:19:22 PM »
Luckily we dont have a safety car ahead of the pack to cause this sort of chaos. Even in this series they have a rolling start with green lights starting the race.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2016, 07:47:52 AM »
Yes,  like Marty said,  as there is no passing before the start line we don't really need someone to say go. The leader can go anytime he likes from exiting the final corner to the start line.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2016, 07:50:52 AM »
Luckily we dont have a safety car ahead of the pack to cause this sort of chaos. Even in this series they have a rolling start with green lights starting the race.

Wow,  what a disaster.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2016, 08:14:19 AM »
Yes,  like Marty said,  as there is no passing before the start line we don't really need someone to say go. The leader can go anytime he likes from exiting the final corner to the start line.
I think it is safer to have a "go" being shout. Before the "go", while the leader will try to keep a constant speed, there will still be the inevitable speed adjustments and the following cars will expect them. After the "go", we will all safely expect the leader to increase his speed at full throttle.

Without a "go" message, we would all be left guessing whether the last acceleration is the definitive one or just a speed adjustment. It seems a bit too complicated to me.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2016, 09:58:58 AM »
True, it might be a bit safer. We'll try a "Go" call and see.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2016, 01:58:05 PM »
True, it might be a bit safer. We'll try a "Go" call and see.

It is true,in iracing there is a "go,go,go" voice signalling the start of hostilities,it is a bit safer.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2016, 06:04:59 PM »
Server's up.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2016, 06:45:07 PM »
Server's up.
Hi Wally: both hornbug and I cannot join the server. It gives us a checksum error. Most likely it is a matter of track versions?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal