Xtreme Gaming Network

Torques for the win.

Author Topic: Torques for the win.  (Read 8478 times)

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
Torques for the win.
« on: November 15, 2019, 01:30:56 PM »
Try these two cars I quickly whipped up. Identical except for the drivetrains in each.
One makes 150Nm and the other makes 600Nm and yet they lap and drive the same.(at least too close to call)

caveat: The sounds will make a big difference to the feel of each car and the friction and inertia values for the drivelines can't be made precise.

Statements like: 'Power for top speed but torque for acceleration' and similar is what I am calling out as BullShit!

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 12:04:28 PM by Seanus »
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Torques
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 04:21:57 PM »
That's an interesting experiment. There's generally a lot of confusion around torque and power. I've certainly seen it in discussions about calculating optimal shift points.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
Re: Torques
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 05:56:19 PM »
I remember that thread, over at the official forum? Turned into a lot of people violently agreeing with each other.
Somewhat solidified the idea of my 'Torque is meaningless' line I add to my mods, as to the lay man that's exactly what it is.
Torque, of course, is important for thermal and mechanical efficiency but even then the number alone means nothing, you need to know everything that is contributing to that number.

Remember that at any given speed, for a given Power, the Torque at the rear wheels is identical, no matter what the engine may be producing.
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
Re: Torques for the win.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 12:04:46 PM »
Bumped for the win.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Torques for the win.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 04:20:56 PM »
Around a flatout circuit (Dover), no difference.
Bring in hairpins (Martinsville), 2x torque 0.2 quicker (and wheelspin becomes an issue, could probably go quicker with setup adjustments).
Same setup, same conditions.
Torque does matter for overcoming inertia.

This doesn't surprise me, given F1's investment.
The V12 had better power, the V8 better torque.
That's why they went to the best (compromise) of both worlds, the V10.

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal