Xtreme Gaming Network

S36R7 - Silverstone

Author Topic: S36R7 - Silverstone  (Read 9045 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: S36R7 - Silverstone
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 03:45:37 PM »
I manage to miss the carnage on lap 1 getting up into 3rd.
I had some early pressure from Freezer but opened a gap that I was maintaining.
Then the gearbox let go on lap 7.
I couldn't find any motivation to start race 2, given it was a guaranteed DNF.
No one else is blowing gearboxes. Perhaps you can change the range of your clutch pedal in AC. Mine is set to only about 33% max so I don't have to depress the pedal all the way.
Did that years a go, but it wouldn't make a difference.
It's the downshifts that's damaging it and I'm not using the clutch at all for them.
I find I have to heel-toe if I right foot brake, but then (with my old knees) I can barely walk the next day from the twisting action required to do it.
The paddle shifters are your friend!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 03:56:17 PM »
Just discovered this, and it seems to be missing from all cars in AC, except the mod I found it in, and I guess only race cars would have it, but ALL race cars should have it.

[COAST_SETTINGS]
LUT=(0=0.275|1=0.250|2=0.225|3=0.200|4=0.175|5=0.150|6=0.125|7=0.100|8=0.075|9=0.050|10=0.025|11=0.000) ; part throttle
DEFAULT=7
ACTIVATION_RPM=3775

I don't heel 'n toe in my real car, does anyone?

If you need to heel 'n' toe in a Modern race car then I really think the clutch is letting you down. I mean it's a race car, buy a bigger clutch, or slipper clutch.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 04:01:56 PM by Seanus »
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 04:00:44 PM »
Fun races. The first one got caught out in the first lap shenanigans.

Race 2 start was better but Bueller's very conservative start prevented the Alfa's from putting pressure on Dietmar. Rubbing is racing Bueller!! From there I lost lots of time and places while trying to figure out braking bias with soft tires as the rears kept on locking. Ended up moving from 73 bias on hards to 80% on the soft tires. Freezer was an unfortunate by-stander with one of the rear-locking moments at the chicane. His tires seemed to give up the ghost  or maybe his steering wheel made a dash for the exit around lap 9  ;D as it became difficult to keep Joe/Wally in control.

It's the downshifts that's damaging it and I'm not using the clutch at all for them.
I find I have to heel-toe if I right foot brake, but then (with my old knees) I can barely walk the next day from the twisting action required to do it.

Someday I will learn to heel-toe   :-[   For myself I just delay the downshift, always using the clutch. AC developers noted every time you shift without a clutch an Italian engineer shed a tear  ;D

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 04:59:50 PM by Mael »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 04:39:13 PM »
....I don't heel 'n toe in my real car, does anyone?...

Lotus Exige.   My business partner got one (the flat 4), with a supercharger upgrade ; it's a sub-4s mental machine.
And you are dead slow unless you're heel-toeing, which is fine on the street.  But on the track you're out in the green stuff in no time if you are pushing it without heel-toe :)

p.s. I can't properly drive it; I can't heel-toe.  My mate can heel-toe, however he can't properly drive, hehe. 

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 06:03:24 PM »
I always heel toe and use the clutch. Learnt it years ago and do it without thinking. I'm a right foot braker even on cars with paddles. In ac some cars seem to need you to heel toe more than others.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2021, 08:27:30 PM »
Left foot braking paddler here!  Although I do blip the throttle a bit down changing!!
Qualified 6th which was an improvement and got a decent start. 
As I charged down into Brooklands I was mostly paying attention to my mirrors
when I suddenly saw spinning cars across the track in front of me.  Only option at that stage was to go for the (sort of) gap which resulted in a bit of contact.
So sorry if I made it worse, but not many options at that stage.  From there I was in 4th with Dave, Phil and then Joe and Bueller chasing me. Bueller got past and it looking
like I would hold fourth to the finish when I completely forgot my brake marker into Stowe, ran wide and let Joe and Killa through....dooh!
Race two was also looking promising after early battles with Wally and Mael I was again holding a solid 4th.  Wally made a dive and my wheel came off the desk!  I did manage
to keep things going but Mael got a run into Brooklands and I tried a bit to hard to brake on the outside and put a wheel on the grass.  Next thing I was 12th.......
Opportunities lost but a good nights racing.

Offline Alphonso_Timmins

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2021, 09:59:12 PM »
Qualifying: First pole! Hooray

R1: After the great racing incident of 2021 as chronicled above, I had a healthy lead from Wally and tried my best (but failed) to get into the 15s as I couldn't put my sectors together. Anyhow, I needed the points so I was happy with the win.

R2: Slow and sluggish start as the E30 bogged off the line, and put me behind Killa from the outset. Cue 10 straight laps of less than a second between 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I was hoping for Bueller to pay for my dinner with how intimate he got with the back of my car, but to no avail. THIS is racing! Finally had a run on Killa as we were heading down the back straight, and attempted a move around the outside. Unfortunately we both got tangled up with my front slightly clipping Killa's rear as we negotiated the bend which spat him wide. He recovered, Bueller slipped past, and that was that. This was easily the closest racing I've had in a long while and it was really good fun, and a lot of work. I'd encourage you both to check the replay, it's a good watch!

Fellow heel-toer here - no rev matching in the E30 is a recipe for disaster!

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2021, 11:13:00 PM »
Sorry about the nudge, Bueller...and to everyone else for being an obstruction. I then just waited there to redress, thought, better don't move and was hoping everyone will find a way around us. Didn't quite work, but could have been worse I guess.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 09:40:49 PM »
All good, still had really good races, lucky the damage is reduced a bit. Also for the gearbox damage, I still crunch and grind those even with the heel and toe quick shifts, it needs good timing.
Would be an excellent replay but while trying to figure out my pc issues I turned off the auto save. The pc problem for me turned out to be win updates that could only be removed via a month old backup, I had uninstalled/reinstalled those problematic updates too many times trying to diagnose.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal