Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 16 Sign Up Thread - Porsche Carrera Cup

Author Topic: Season 16 Sign Up Thread - Porsche Carrera Cup  (Read 46443 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Season 16 Sign Up Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2017, 08:02:38 PM »
Are we looking to do Australian tracks - in keeping with the Aus Porsche cup theme (if Porsche cup wins the popular vote) - or a bit of everything?
No Australian tracks this time, as we tend to stick to AC tracks or very high standard mod tracks. It will be a mix of different styles of track.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2017, 08:45:56 PM »
I can understand if people don't want to keep changing cars, but if they're good drivers, they should be able to race anything.
Having said that, a good notice is required so that drivers who are changing cars can get some practice to dial in their car.

On a similar note I would think if it were a season where people were having to change cars regularly, it might be an idea to have fixed setups.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2017, 11:47:11 PM »
I can understand if people don't want to keep changing cars, but if they're good drivers, they should be able to race anything.
Having said that, a good notice is required so that drivers who are changing cars can get some practice to dial in their car.

On a similar note I would think if it were a season where people were having to change cars regularly, it might be an idea to have fixed setups.

I really wouldn't think there is any reason to change cars regularly in these best to get 1 car and stick with it. In the supercars 5 of them are very close but 3 are a bit too quick for the rest it seems. So other then having cars that arent exactly evenly matched you could limit the 3 fastest cars from the top 50% of the field with the guys regularly a couple seconds off lead pace could do with the boost those 3 cars can give. Regarding fixed setups the supercars are very limited in setup anyway just alignment and pressures and I dont see much point in limiting those. Setups really arent going to make a big difference in these cars and if they were fixed it just means the tyres will be out for some depending on driving style more then anything but actual lap time differences between front and back of pack would be pretty much the same.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2017, 11:56:03 PM »
I am actually with AJ about this, whether we change cars or not. If we really need to make a "rich a***oles driving like dad will pay the bill" season, then let's do it properly. Of course tyre pressure should be left free: you can adjust tyre pressure at the local 7eleven. That, but only that.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2017, 12:14:08 AM »
I am actually with AJ about this, whether we change cars or not. If we really need to make a "rich a***oles driving like dad will pay the bill" season, then let's do it properly. Of course tyre pressure should be left free: you can adjust tyre pressure at the local 7eleven. That, but only that.

I cant say vie been to many track days where people don't adjust as much on their cars as they possibly can easily. Rich a***holes will have everything possibly tuned to maximize their car but money doesn't buy skills so it rarely will make any difference even if they have a full race team to analyse data and make these minor changes for them.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2017, 07:57:27 AM »

I cant say vie been to many track days where people don't adjust as much on their cars as they possibly can easily. Rich a***holes will have everything possibly tuned to maximize their car but money doesn't buy skills so it rarely will make any difference even if they have a full race team to analyse data and make these minor changes for them.
Who talked of track days? ;)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2017, 08:44:37 AM »

Guessing you aren't  keen on these cars grat  ;D after the maserati and praga i find them a refreshing change.

The rs has more setup options that most with wing and arb.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2017, 08:58:59 AM »

Guessing you aren't  keen on these cars grat  ;D after the maserati and praga i find them a refreshing change.

The rs has more setup options that most with wing and arb.
Eheheh, you are right: not too keen, no. Lately I find it almost annoying to drive most street cars. I used to like a lot racing street cars, though mostly the slow ones. But I seem not to see why supercars are so loved: hyper-fast on the straights, then 150m of agonizing braking constantly hanging on the ABS, followed by 10 seconds of understeer. If you are lucky, some of them let you end up on the other side of the apex with just the right angle to straighten it up with a bit of extra throttle. I am not saying they are easy! I barely know what it means: nothing is easy unless you can constantly match GB's laps in it. I am just saying I find them a little boring during the week. Perhaps they are going to be fun racing, but I can't really get myself to try to find lap time before then.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2017, 10:27:40 AM »
I think it always pays to think more about what racing the cars would be like rather than hotlapping the cars. That could end up being two different things.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
I think it always pays to think more about what racing the cars would be like rather than hotlapping the cars. That could end up being two different things.
Indeed I said so... mine was just the reason why I would be in favour of fixed setups. That said, I have got the impression racing cars are better for racing as well, but I am no expert racer, so maybe I am wrong.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2017, 11:08:31 AM »
In general, these road cars don't have much you can change setup-wise anyway, so I wouldn't really see the value of fixed setups for those types of cars.

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2017, 11:58:58 AM »
As has been said though, some of the cars, such as the 911 GT3 RS have more adjustability than others...

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2017, 12:36:32 PM »
Some have more adjustablitiy but thats just the way the cars are. Having an adjustable wing really makes little difference as the few cars that have this barely need a rear wing to begin with as they dont generate that much front downforce so adding it just creates understeer and drag. The ruf needs some aero as it has so much power but its still the worst handling of all the cars  There are 8 cars so if you want a simpler one dont chose the few that allow arb or aero changes.  ;)

I still find it funny when some people say race cars are better for racing but then want to limit setups on very basic supercars. The main point of a race car is its adjustability and people that dont like dealing with setups would be better off running more basic road cars like this with minimal setup options then race cars.

In practice ive had more close racing in a bunch of these then I had in the last few seasons. The big difference between these cars and say the maserati gt4 is it ran on slicks with a bit more aero and adjustability. That is what gt4 is all about racing lightly tuned street cars on slicks.  ;)

Setup is a very small part of these cars its mostly just how you drive them. Without lots of aero and slick tyres braking and cornering speeds will be lower. They are also fairly quick but these slower cornering speeds and longer brake distances make for better racing I think as its easier to drive very close to others then in most other cars.

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2017, 01:21:49 PM »
If you don't think the adjustments that can be made would make that much of a difference then that's fine, it was just a discussion point and not me trying to say "this has to happen".

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2017, 01:47:36 PM »
If you don't think the adjustments that can be made would make that much of a difference then that's fine, it was just a discussion point and not me trying to say "this has to happen".

I know its just a suggestion I just wonder what is the reasoning or end purpose of fixing setups on such basic cars. The adjustments are very minor and most should be able to understand how to adjust these to make a slight improvement in balance. Limiting the basic setup just means the car will suit some driving styles more then others but have no real effect on overall perfomance. Being able to make these small adjustments means anyone with basic knowledge can make the car a little better for the track tosuit their driving style.

Road cars are pretty basic setup wise you want to get pressures close to optimal and get tyre temps close to ideal too. Camber pretty much as much as you can add then adjust a little for balance front or rear.

What advantage are you seeing in fixing the setups for these cars? If you dont understand the ideas for what and why to change it there is plenty of info around or people can simply ask and many here will gladly help or share setups for any of these cars.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal