Xtreme Gaming Network

April 21 season break - fun run - Nordschleife endurance

Author Topic: April 21 season break - fun run - Nordschleife endurance  (Read 109867 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: April 21 season break - fun run - Nordschleife endurance
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2015, 09:21:34 AM »
If I may ask, why do you want to set a grid?  It'd be simpler to put a few cars on, first come best served, and away we go.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2015, 09:26:45 AM »
I move the track map to be directly below the virtual mirror so I can see what corner is coming up next. Otherwise I get lost.

I'm in the camp that looking at the map won't really teach you the track. Great for the 1st few laps but then i find it counter productive to learning breaking points etc. And your better off trying to familiarize with the track looking for markers and 'how the track runs'
 admittedly nords is trying to learn 10 tracks at once.

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2015, 09:45:13 AM »
Friday night is data night with the misso  :P
So you guys get dressed up as 0's and 1' and listen to the squeal of a 56k modem? (no you be the 0, I wanna turn you on fluffy muffin!!  ;D)

I'm in for Friday testings and the 118% fuel sounds perfect Marty (can split it a few ways for tactics!!)  :)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2015, 10:07:38 AM »
If I may ask, why do you want to set a grid?  It'd be simpler to put a few cars on, first come best served, and away we go.

Main reason Bird is being a longer race I think best to let people drive something they want. There may be a car some hate and get stuck in it so not a great deal of fun for them and likely wont stick around and finish the race. I would drive anything in the field and will choose something different to most others which is why I will wait til later to choose a car.

Its meant to be a fun nite not a torture fest around nords for some that may be stuck in a car they have barely driven and it could be one that just doesnt really work for them. 10 laps at this track will be challenging enough no need for people to battle the cars too. Laptimes between all of them is rather close so it really doesnt matter which they choose and the grid will be a little mixed up.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:25:09 AM by marty »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2015, 10:37:32 AM »
That makes sense, thanks!
I'll test these cars a bit at some point, to be able to make a selection.

Edit: eg fark it, I'll take the nissan.  I've not driven it much and I'd like to test it.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2015, 10:58:48 AM »
Friday night is data night with the misso  :P
So you guys get dressed up as 0's and 1' and listen to the squeal of a 56k modem? (no you be the 0, I wanna turn you on fluffy muffin!!  ;D)

I'm in for Friday testings and the 118% fuel sounds perfect Marty (can split it a few ways for tactics!!)  :)

Maybe its a nite they have some fun with digits.  ;)

Stan maybe I missed your official entry but will add you to the list, I will also move the entry list to post 2 of this thread. If I have forgotten someone from the entry list please let me know as I make lots of mistakes and Id be shocked if I haven't screwed that up yet.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 11:03:05 AM by marty »

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2015, 11:22:29 AM »
Cheers Marty!!  :) (errr I may have missed the formal part of those proceedings...)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2015, 11:31:09 AM »

Haha, I knew there was a good joke in there somewhere but I couldn't find it myself as my brain is not functioning anywhere near 100% today  ;D

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2015, 12:13:36 PM »

I move the track map to be directly below the virtual mirror so I can see what corner is coming up next. Otherwise I get lost.

I'm in the camp that looking at the map won't really teach you the track. Great for the 1st few laps but then i find it counter productive to learning breaking points etc. And your better off trying to familiarize with the track looking for markers and 'how the track runs'
I only use this method for Nords. I'm never going to drive it enough to remember every corner. I want to look at the map and see a long straight and just hammer it then see corners coming up and get on the anchors. Not sophisticated but helps reduce wipe outs through not expecting a corner! Also, helps avoid lifting off every time you can't remember if it is a long straight or not.

Even so, I'll only survive a couple of laps before meltdown I expect...

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2015, 12:52:28 PM »

I only use this method for Nords. I'm never going to drive it enough to remember every corner. I want to look at the map and see a long straight and just hammer it then see corners coming up and get on the anchors. Not sophisticated but helps reduce wipe outs through not expecting a corner! Also, helps avoid lifting off every time you can't remember if it is a long straight or not.

I'll be melting down about 1/2 way around 1st lap. probably lapped by lap 2. Rage quit by lap 5. Rejoin on the last lap.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2015, 01:15:03 PM »

If I don't know the track, I watch for clues on the tarmac. There are only a few spots that require special attention here, if you keep braking earlier than the tarmac brake-clues, you should seldom run into any real trouble - those couple of tricky places you can memorise.

But if the track map works better for you, by all means, use it :)

This isn't a dangerously tricky track, the corners mostly flowing nicely, the only truly problematic areas are the blind crests with corners.  You should slow down a bit on all crests, anyway, lest you hit some spectators! ;)

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2015, 01:34:33 PM »

If I don't know the track, I watch for clues on the tarmac. There are only a few spots that require special attention here, if you keep braking earlier than the tarmac brake-clues, you should seldom run into any real trouble - those couple of tricky places you can memorise.

But if the track map works better for you, by all means, use it :)

This isn't a dangerously tricky track, the corners mostly flowing nicely, the only truly problematic areas are the blind crests with corners.  You should slow down a bit on all crests, anyway, lest you hit some spectators! ;)

I keep hearing 'there are only a few spots' about nords. For me and others i expect there are dozens of spots where i get it so wrong, that indeed spectators are getting covered in bits of my car.

I've started to notice the ambulances parked in certain spots. I'm taking that as a sign.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2015, 01:52:03 PM »
Hehe. 
You need to slow down.  Over-driving is not really the most efficient way of learning in a track :)
That's also why the track map may not be the best way.  Drive slow, as slow as you'd do in real life at blind spots.  You'll learn the track in a couple of hours enough to be able to drive it properly, I'm sure.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2015, 02:13:17 PM »
I think with this track it would be good if you could learn it in sections.  So if you could somehow concentrate on the first few km's, and then once that's done move onto the next few km's, etc.  I wonder if someone could cut it up and make it a point to point format for each section.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2015, 03:09:57 PM »
Actually that's a working thing indeed - it's been like that in the ps3 version if I remember correctly.  3 sections.  Still pretty long, but not that insane. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal