Xtreme Gaming Network

S7R8: Donington Park GP Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S7R8: Donington Park GP Post-Race Chat  (Read 18741 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: S7R8: Donington Park GP Post-Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 10:18:49 AM »
BTW I removed all Python apps except for PLP for this race and did not have a single stutter or warp.

Do you have AC on a secondary drive? I used to get frequent stutters with Helicorsa, and the developer told me it was probably due to the game being on a secondary drive. Apparently it's not possible to cache images used by apps, so at times where my drive would have gone into sleep mode, if the app needed to display an image it would need to wake the drive up which would cause the stutter. Guess this would be the same for any app that displays images in different scenarios.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 10:45:41 AM »
I didnt get any warps and the only car I saw warp last race was freezer. I was kind of glad when I got past him when lapping him as his car did jump back a few times as I was closing. I dont think his ping looked that high but I dont remember exactly what it was at the time.

The one odd thing was I looked at the replay last nite and the contact with Guybrush and me on my replay we never actuallys touched. I did get slight damage to the front and he did spin but there was still a bit of a gap. It could simply be lag or even collision box not quite right in one of the cars as our pings were fine and contact was at the slowest part of the track. It would be interesting to see if on his replay he actually sees contact.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 11:27:34 AM »
I didnt get any warps and the only car I saw warp last race was freezer. I was kind of glad when I got past him when lapping him as his car did jump back a few times as I was closing. I dont think his ping looked that high but I dont remember exactly what it was at the time.

He was jumping around a bit when I was behind him, but his ping was stable at around 17ms

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 11:47:50 AM »
Thats an odd one if his ping was stable at 17ms, I really didnt get a chance to look too closely at his ping as I was fairly busy at the time, trying to find a way past him with a bit of warp and another car ahead while GB was trying to sneak by. If his ping was stable then maybe something else was causing his warp, I know in some past races I saw his ping climb but I when I looked it didnt look too high. He was behind Benana at the time so he also would have seen the warps in his mirror.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 11:57:55 AM »
This is why I am suggesting we do a test next week with everyone turning off all Python apps except PLP to see the impact the Python stuff has. I am guessing it is a large part of the warping problem.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 12:05:51 PM »
ptacker causes me stutters  I only run it cause its handy   but think i will use substandings again,  it has never caused me a stutter.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 12:22:13 PM »
Average night for me.  Qualified 9th but wasn't all that quick so focused on keeping it clean.
Plugged away for most of the race watching my fuel with the pre race calculator indicating 1 full tank divided by 14 laps was 6.1 l/lap which I kept to however at the 13.5 mark I was almost dry and end up coasting the last few corners out of fuel and managed to just sneak into the pits.  Not long after pitting I had Marty and GB come up behind me.  Didn't see blue flags but was wondering who it was.  Only when Marty commented about passing me I realised and on the next straight held 75% throttle to let them buy however on arriving at the chicane GB swept straight across to the kerb cutting me off, spinning me on to the grass.  Anyhow pushed on and in the second half had a good battle with Joe swapping places but with half a lap to go I ran a touch wide and he was through.

Warping:  Difficult issue this one.... I always have 17-19 ping (Optus Optical fibre),  I have a new GTX970, 8gb rar, win64 pro, but I fear my processor may be the weak link as it is a I5 760 2.8hz (4cpu's).  I have been running low graphic settings on race night so the track looks pretty crap but still getting moments of warping.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 12:22:14 PM »
I also find that the timing or lag is significantly better without the Python stuff. You cannot see or really feel the difference except that you go from struggling to handle the car especially when braking to being able to catch slides and feel brake lockup. This is AC's strength where what you see on the screen exactly matches the feel through the wheel and pedals. If that timing is out even a bit it makes the cars more difficult to drive.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 12:59:30 PM »
This is why I am suggesting we do a test next week with everyone turning off all Python apps except PLP to see the impact the Python stuff has. I am guessing it is a large part of the warping problem.

How do you tell what's a python app and what is not? 

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 01:11:58 PM »
Look in the Apps/Python folder. Those are the Python ones. I am not sure about the Kunos apps.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 01:51:12 PM »
Are we talking stuttering or warping though, in regards to Python apps? Stuttering I could believe, being client-side, but warping? You'd think that would be due to packet loss or something network related.

It's worth an experiment though. For the trial races, we could turn PLP off as well.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 01:53:17 PM »
I assume RSR and pTracker is sending/reading data, but would be surprised if it was enough to cause warping. Happy to turn off all apps except Helicorsa as I'm too reliant on it  ;D

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 02:53:53 PM »
It is only a theory but think stutters are local cpu related and warping is timing related. Timing related issues could be caused by many things - local PC timing issue, network timing and server timing. So my surmise is that the Python code could be causing timing issues for the AC core network code on the client. Python is a huge resource hit given that it is scripting and lots of calls going on. Everyone is using a tire app, a timing/leaderboard app and Helicorsa. That's a lot of Python code being executed every millisecond.

This is all just supposition on my part but worth a try if people are interested. Only need to uncheck the apps in the launcher General settings.

Wally, PLP could be retained.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 04:57:15 PM »
Generally an erratic night for me, after only having 1/2 an hours practice prior to qually.
My race was filled with small errors and one major one, hitting a wall and doing considerable damage.
The worst part was getting out of the cockpit afterwards, with locked up and aching knees (took about 10mins before I could walk again). :-[

Thanks to Bacchulum for giving me a smooth driver to follow in the last 10 or so laps. I wouldn't have kept my concentration without his car to focus on.
It was a good battle but I didn't think I was that smooth, lots of tiny errors towards the end there, mainly due to your pressure. 8)

2+2=√16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 06:12:59 PM »
I assume RSR and pTracker is sending/reading data, but would be surprised if it was enough to cause warping. Happy to turn off all apps except Helicorsa as I'm too reliant on it  ;D

Stracker isnt on the race server so ptracker is not sending anything. Its just using the data the server is already sending you.

If anyone has unstable fps and big drops at times this can cause issues but anyone with rock solid performance running any apps shouldnt have any effect.

Its possible ptracker on a server with stracker could cause lag as it sends and receives more data from the server.

For me my fps is capped and never drops a frame the same in sp or a full grid of mp or even ai. So for me I dont see how the apps I run can cause any issues for me.

The only apps I run on leaague nites are ptracker, helicorsa and sometimes rsr. Anyone having issues try and disable and uninstall all then bring them back with for the latest versions 1 at a time and monitor your game fps.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal