Xtreme Gaming Network

Possible fix for FPS drops in MP

Author Topic: Possible fix for FPS drops in MP  (Read 7459 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Possible fix for FPS drops in MP
« on: November 08, 2014, 12:03:39 AM »
On the AC forums

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/gpu-load-use-bug-in-multiplayer-only.17315/#post-305734

"Did you try this?
in the file assetto_corsa.ini which is under Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg
I changed update interval from 16 to 64 and even tried 128 which was better for me again"

Read the rest of the thread too.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Possible fix for FPS drops in MP
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 01:15:59 AM »
This was a dev response in the thread.

Quote from: AC Support, post: 302782, member: 6
Guys please DON'T TOUCH that MAX_CHANNELS parameter unless your sound is completely gone (as happened in the previous patch for someone). That has nothing to do with graphics or other stuff, it's just for sound.

Still who knows for guys like Bacchulum having huge issues it worth a shot, there are quite a few odd things with some settings that dont work as intended and actually have the opposite effect you would logically expect.

Even a simple thinh like smoke in mirrors, there has always been a checkbox to enable or disable it, yet every build to date no matter how I set it has shown smoke in mirrors for me. Not sure if its a huge fps hog but seeing as smoke may also be shown in the cars reflection map this could explain why smoke has quite a large negative effect for some people. It would be nice to test with no smoke in mirrors one day but its always there for me.  ;)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 01:23:07 AM »
I just had a look in the INI files to see what may have changed, here is one thing I noticed is different to how it used to be in earlier builds. Here is the Assetto_Corsa.ini as loaded by default, I double checked by doing a steam verify and this is how the file ends up.

[ASSETTO_CORSA]
SLEEP_TIME=-1
WARNINGS_AS_ERRORS=0

[FORCE_FEEDBACK]
MAX_FF_RATE_HZ=333

[AC_APPS]
ENABLE_DEV_APPS=0

[TELEMETRY]
EXPORT_ENTIRE_SESSION=1

[SCREENSHOT]
FORMAT=JPG

[TIME_DIFFERENCE]
POS_Y=200

[THREADING]
USE_TIMER_PROCESS=-1   ; -1=Automatic, no timer process for CPU with more than 2 cores, timer process for dual cores. 0=Always off. 1=Always on.
SET_THREAD_AFFINITY_MASK=0 ; 0=Windows scheduler will decide where to run the threads. 1=Main thread assigned to Core0, physics thread assigned to Core1

[AUDIO]
MAX_CHANNELS=64
SURFACES_DISTANCE_SCALE=2
UPDATE_INTERVAL=16
DISABLE_ENGINE_SOUNDS=0

[RACE]
OVER_TIME_MULT=1.2

[DEBUG]
MULTI_LOG=0
PHYSICS_TIME_SCALE=1

[DIRT]
MULT=1

[VIRTUAL_MIRROR]
ACTIVE=1

[DAMAGE]
GLASS_THRESHOLD=0.65

[DRIVER]
HIDE=0

[CAMERA]
ALLOW_FREE_CAMERA=1

I remember in earlier builds Telemetry export entire session was default at 0. I did try it at 1 back then and got much worse performance, for me as it is currently runs fine but maybe for others its worth trying this at =0 and see if it improves things.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 09:36:47 AM »
Another interesting AC post from the devs

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/if-you-have-a-significant-fps-drop-read-here.17536/

It seems the new FMOD sound engine is chewing up lots of CPU, especially in MP. The devs appear to be onto it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:39:31 AM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal