Xtreme Gaming Network

THE Oculus Rift Thread

Author Topic: THE Oculus Rift Thread  (Read 86317 times)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Re: THE Oculus Rift Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2016, 11:44:27 AM »
I cant handle wearing headphones, So I cant think of anything worse than wearing a rift
Wearing a really hot rift? :)
Wearing a really hot Rift AND headphones and being motion sick :D

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2016, 12:31:34 PM »
my head will explode
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2016, 01:06:49 PM »
I'll add my latest - psychological damage caused by being displaced in space and time in the virtual world

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2016, 06:25:34 PM »
An opinion on the AC forums:

"A lot of complaints regarding motion sickness with VR are down to FOV being slightly wrong... correct it and voila.. motion sickness is gone!"

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2016, 07:07:35 PM »
Wow, $1200 is way too expensive.  I was thinking around $500 - 600 would be the upper range considering the talk was about $300 - $400 US.

I certainly won't be ordering one any time soon.  I may get a mate to bring one back from the States though some time in the future when they are readily available.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2016, 08:46:45 PM »
Yep, waaaaay overpriced for now.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2016, 06:35:04 PM »
So does anyone know if the resolution, 'flyscreen', issue was resolved?
There could be 'outside' benefits that make this viable for me. :-X

2+2=√16

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2016, 01:34:40 PM »
Wow, $1200 is way too expensive.  I was thinking around $500 - 600 would be the upper range considering the talk was about $300 - $400 US.

I certainly won't be ordering one any time soon.  I may get a mate to bring one back from the States though some time in the future when they are readily available.
Occulus site is taking pre orders at $599 (US dollars) = (836 AUD) and states it will be out in July this year.
I note the specs say 3 x USB3 plus 1 x USB2 ports required....and NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD R9 290 equivalent or greater

Rolz

« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2016, 01:47:42 PM »
Interesting - I go through the ordering at for me it's at $649, but I can't see how much postage is... and I don't want to really continue on with moving along to find out... scumbags  >:(

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2016, 08:00:19 AM »
$200 to ship from Sydney to elsewhere in Australia but that won't get it to Tasmania:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/47u50u/132_usd_shipping_will_only_get_you_to_mainland/

I am absolutely confident now of two things:

1) OR are making all their money on shipping, and;
2) they are waiting for a reasonable install base before ripping us a new one with the cost of the Touch controllers + Shipping when they are released later in the year.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2016, 11:01:24 AM »
poor old Tassie.  we are used to being ripped off because of bass strait. That strip of water makes everything cost so much more.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retail/woolworths-celebrates-australia-day-by-erasing-tasmania-20160120-gm9wdk.html

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2016, 03:18:44 PM »
Time for a bump of this topic :)

Tweet from Stefano re VR support:

https://twitter.com/KunosStefano/status/722514489283854337

"Tough and long coding day to readapt Assetto Corsa VR code to Rift SDK 1.3, good progress nevertheless. #assettocorsavr"

I have been trialling the DK2 again using LFS, Project Cars and Rift 1.3. The latest version has significantly improved the VR in the DK2.

1. Clarity is now sufficient to see brake markers and apexes even with the low resolution DK2. Brightness and contrast is now excellent.
2. PCars menus and virtual hud in the Rift work extremely well. Track map, position and lap times can be placed where you want them on the screen and don't impact the VR experience.
3. You can take the Rift off anytime to use the game menus for car setup, selecting sessions, checking leaderboard etc. These screens are duplicated in the rift as well. In LFS you can navigate the menus by moving a virtual pointer in the Rift by simply moving your head. Sounds weird but is extremely natural to use and is actually easier than a mouse!
4. And the biggie is that the "uncomfortable feeling" I got from using the Rift has completely gone. Rift 1.3 must have changed the 3D motion and/or timing somehow to fix this problem.

Can't wait for the AC Rift support. If PCars is this good then AC VR will be fantastic!!!

Finally, my DK2 is now worth MORE than I paid for it  ;D ;D 8) 8)

Rolz

« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2016, 03:28:55 PM »
1. Clarity is now sufficient to see brake markers and apexes even with the low resolution DK2. Brightness and contrast is now excellent.

This was why I sold mine...

I will still hold out for the gen2 of the consumer release.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal