Xtreme Gaming Network

S13R1: Paul Ricard WTCC post-race chat

Author Topic: S13R1: Paul Ricard WTCC post-race chat  (Read 15481 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S13R1: Paul Ricard WTCC post-race chat
« on: August 02, 2016, 10:25:09 PM »
RACE RESULTS

Race 1, lap 1, there was a side-by-side contact with Phil on the inside of Grat, but Phil was up to Grat's drivers door, so I'd call that one a racing incident.

Race 3, lap 1, Humper and Grat hide side by side. Grat was on the inside, and only up to Humper's rear wheel, but it was an unsettled sequence through turns 2 and 3 and again I'll call that a racing incident.

Bacchulum got into the rear of Matthew at turn 1, but Matthew was oversteering and counter-steering, so again, a racing incident.

Round Points
Guybrush Threepwood    66
Marty    66
EdWood    59
Phil.8    58
Matthew111    56
Bacchulum    55
Jeremy    55
hylas    53
Wally    50
Mael    48
Freezer    46
slideways    40
Let's Test Drive    38
Grat    34
Dave O    32
Humper    31
Joe    23
AJ    20
Bafs17    20
Rob    20
Hornbag    15

Congratulations to race winners Guybrush, Jeremy and Edwood, and tied round winners Marty and Guybrush.

Season Podium
1. Guybrush, 66
1. Marty, 66
2. EdWood, 59
3. Phil.8, 58
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:18:10 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: S13R1: Paul Ricard WTCC post-race chat
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 10:28:08 PM »
Terrible night for me. Borderline not fun. Got tapped and spun in all 3 races then pushing too hard and making mistakes. Roll on next week.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 10:28:50 PM »
Last race was fun trying to get a 10 second lead on the cars behind for my penalty.  Got 2 cuts taking evasive action, but that didnt worry me the trying was fun :)
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 10:53:02 PM »
Was some interesting racing, I only got hit once in race 2 on someone misjudging a brake marker. Race 1 was clean but I didnt have the pace to match Guybrush, I got him off the line but missed a gear into t1 then the gap just kept growing. Had some tyre issues so I really couldnt match his pace and just hang on to 2nd, I tried to push as hard as I could but it just made it worse.

Race 2 was interesting and rather busy at the back around me at least appeared fairly clean and it took a while to get towards the front few but by then I had some rear damage from a bump which I balanced out with a tyre bundle smack at the front. Along with an overheated left front I saw Guybrush catching me and with 3 laps to got I somehow stayed ahead making him drive like a grandma.

Race 3 I got a better start but then got caught in no mans land a few times, made some passes when in the correct lane then dropped a few in the wrong one. No significant contacts that race with just a couple of very minor rubs I think, car was a bit better at the end as I tried not to overdrive the long sweeper as much. Last lap I managed to just sneak into 3rd which was quite a surprise as its not going to be easy to get podiums from anywhere near the back.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 11:16:01 PM »
In practice I thought "I'm going to come last" such was my pace but a few very late tweaks made the car feel better.
I had a heap of good battles with all different people over the three races.  The Supra held up well as far as tyres go etc and felt pretty consistent.  It did have the legs on the longer straights but not the drive out of corners so the only hope was to hold the tight line where ever possible and make the Nissan's go the long way round.  This worked pretty well for most of the races and certainly meant those behind had to work for it.  All up some good (see surprising) results and great battles.
Once again apologies to Mael for the tap I gave him early in the piece! 

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 11:22:04 PM »
I had a great time, really enjoying the tough racing. This is my favourite type of racing, to be honest. Elbows out, panel rubbing, relatively low powered sedans a la BTCC.

The tight packs really expose your mistakes about getting off line, in that if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, you can be really hung out to dry on the outside while people pass on the inside. It felt like that happened to me a few times.

I had some very narrow misses being behind people bouncing off the tyre bundles, including Jeremy in race 1 who put in a lot of work to pass me only to bounce off the tyres on the last lap. Luckily I missed everyone.

The Skyline felt pretty good for me here. Maybe I'm just getting used to it's steering ratio and sometimes weird feeling turn in.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 08:18:11 AM »
Great results from such a.large field.
Thanks for the write ups, felt like I was there... Being overtaken!
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 08:24:24 AM »
Totally agree with Wally. Had an absolute blast in these. The racing is so close. Finished all 3 races unscathed, way off the pace, but still felt like I'd won. Kudos to everyone for some top notch racing. :)

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 10:25:36 AM »
Once again apologies to Mael for the tap I gave him early in the piece!

No Problem, made a mistake going into the corner which contributed :-[

Otherwise really enjoyable races. Race 3 was a bit of a disaster after connecting a stationary car at the chicanes but still fun. Surprised so many people opted for the GTR as it might be slightly faster but is certainly trickier to drive than the other cars. The Supra you can really throw around  ;D

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 11:26:31 AM »
Race 1 was straight forward.  Marty got me at the start but then went long into T1 which allowed me to come underneath (or is that inside) him and take the lead into T2.  From there I built a gap and was fairly happy with my driving as I think after the first couple of laps, all the others were faster than the last, except for the end when I caught traffic.

Race 2 was OK.  Got a fair bit of damage front and rear with some taps here and there, some my fault and some others.  I got sandwiched a couple of times with people not realising we were 3 wide and I couldn't move which created a pinball effect.

Race 3 was much the same as Race 2.

I found that the RX7 was good in clear air, but behind other cars it just didn't have the traction of the GTR's 4WD coming out of the slower corners so it was difficult to overtake.  In the end I was able to get a few overtakes around some of the corners which was fun, albeit a little risky.

It may have been my imagination but I also found that some people were just dive-bombing from well behind which meant if I turned in I would have been collected, so I had to wait and wait for them to tidy themselves up and then go.  A reminder that if you aren't half-way up along side another car at turn in then the corner is not yours.

Good night's racing though, thanks to all involved. :)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 11:56:21 AM »
I asked this on TS last night, but either I was ignored or my mic was playing up  ;D

My right hand side tyres weren't getting up to temp and we're about 10 degrees lower than the lefts. What should I do about that? Camber change? Pressures?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 12:32:41 PM »
I asked this on TS last night, but either I was ignored or my mic was playing up  ;D

My right hand side tyres weren't getting up to temp and we're about 10 degrees lower than the lefts. What should I do about that? Camber change? Pressures?

Not much can be done as this track had all the high load corners as right hand turns. So this meant left side would generate more heat to the point that in the gtr all that could be done is take it easier in a few of the high load right hand turns to save the front left a bit.

It may have been my imagination but I also found that some people were just dive-bombing from well behind which meant if I turned in I would have been collected, so I had to wait and wait for them to tidy themselves up and then go.  A reminder that if you aren't half-way up along side another car at turn in then the corner is not yours.

Good night's racing though, thanks to all involved. :)

I did have a look at the race 3 replay last nite as I was making a video, the few I saw I dont think were exactly on purpose dive bombs but some guys didnt allow for the lf tyre degrading a bit in the gtr and just outbraked a few entries pushing you wide. In a couple races especially race 2 mine was so gone I needed about 30m more to stop and make the apex of the right hand turns.

I see a divebomb as any corner someone takes the inside but cant hold the apex and leaves no racing room for the outside car. Which either causes a collision or forces the outside car off the track. Rosberg got a penalty for this in the last GP, its also know as a block pass at times. I dont think its ever a fair pass when you force another car off the road or force them to atop to give you room on the exit in order to avoid a collision.

In most cases in order for the inside car to make a pass they will need to brake sooner then the outside. Otherwise they will miss the apex and run wide aka the divebomb. If you can make a pass like that though and not actually effect the outside car at all then thats a fair pass.

Guybrush got me into the sweeper in race 3 with a big inside dive but he got it done without me having to alter my line or speed in any way. So that was a good sneaky pass, its an easy one to stuff up and cause a collision so a bit risky but was well executed in that case and caught me properly by surprise.  ;D

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 12:57:18 PM »
I always forget to save the replays......Don't think I caused any major issues but I did pull off a couple of unintended passes when peeps started braking earlier than usual. The 370 didn't seem to suffer from the same tyre probs as the other cars.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 12:58:32 PM »

I didn't hear you Joe.  I am in the RX7 too and I found the right hand side just didn't heat up.  There isn't much you can do, it's just a result of not many right hand corners.  If you lower the tyre pressures they will heat up a bit, but not enough to counter the loss of grip through lower pressures.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 01:46:49 PM »
You could try a lot more toe, either in or out, on the right side, although I don't know if asymmetric toe will make the car handle strangely. In theory, more toe should heat the tyre.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal