Xtreme Gaming Network

Old and young whinging (aka Regarding ABS for Tue races )

Author Topic: Old and young whinging (aka Regarding ABS for Tue races )  (Read 15061 times)

G0RGAK

Old and young whinging (aka Regarding ABS for Tue races )
« on: August 07, 2014, 12:16:32 AM »
Hey guys i've been working on my setup for mugello but i'm having massive problems with lock-ups, due primarily to my pedals. I'm using a super old driving force gt, and the brake pedal just has no resistance. Now i know this is like a bad tradesman blaming his tools, but my mate has a g25 and the pedal difference is huge!
I plan on buying a new set up, but in the meantime i'm stuck with this. So my question to the other races is do u mind if people use ABS?
ASM and TCS are clearly massive advantages but I don't see the same with ABS. :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:16:57 PM by Bird »

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: Regarding ABS for Tue races
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 06:25:15 AM »
Pretty sure driving aides are allowed, but Wally might need to confirm.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 07:33:41 AM »
Pretty sure driving aides are allowed, but Wally might need to confirm.

I would have thought be OK like last season if available (dtm) I wouldn't have thought abs would be available in the real formula Abarth series. So if it's not available in the real series then that would be a no, but Wally will clarify and he may allow it.

Btw try adjusting your brake gamma as that can make a big difference to lock ups and pedal application.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:38:16 AM by Glen73 »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 07:42:28 AM »
The rule is that you can use it if the real car has it - and then I think AC will enable it by default anyway. But like Glen said, this car wouldn't have it. The idea again is to have a level playing field.

You could try the squash ball trick: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/squash-ball-mod-for-momo-racing-brake-pedal.14782/

Make sure you get a soft (slow) squash ball.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »
Green dot iirc. ......

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 09:48:53 AM »
Or yellow. I used to play a lot of squash, back in the day. Played for a club for a while. I wasn't brilliant at it, but I loved it.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »
Or yellow. I used to play a lot of squash, back in the day. Played for a club for a while. I wasn't brilliant at it, but I loved it.

Same, played pennant, a truly great game. Now I have advanced osteoarthritis in my left knee, to far gone for a operation and to young for a replacement. I played everything when I was in my 20's. Footy, cricket,  squash, water skiing.... year after year, I should have taken it easy after my acl repair. ........ some wise old man said "you only get one body, there is no trade ins when you get older" I thought, what does he know..... I am invincible, he would be laughing at me now. Forty years old and supposed to be using a walking stick.

G0RGAK

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 11:19:29 PM »
I know your pain Glen, my right knee is shot, no more football, skiing etc. for me, luckily no walking stick, yet.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 08:14:45 AM »
My only knee story is I can't really walk downhill for more than 15 mins now. Maybe because of hiking with a backpack when I was younger, I think.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 12:35:02 PM »
I've just started to get soreness in my left knee.  I'm not sure if it's due to AC or playing cricket over the years (tall, lanky, fast-bowler here).

Currently I have to practice braking with my right foot, but when it comes to race night I use my left foot to brake.  It's a real bugger.

I went to cricket training for the first time last Sunday and almost fell over when I tried to bowl.

Has anyone else felt that AC has caused them some leg/knee concerns?  I use the GTeye brake mod which is quite a stiff spring so wonder whether this is the problem.  Maybe I'm just getting old... at 31. :)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 01:31:38 PM »
----
Has anyone else felt that AC has caused them some leg/knee concerns?  I use the GTeye brake mod which is quite a stiff spring so wonder whether this is the problem.  Maybe I'm just getting old... at 31. :)
I have found that the driving position needs to be as close to a real car as possible especially the angles between the hip <> knee <> ankle. In a real car you usually have the knee higher than the hip joint. In an office chair they are almost level. Trying to push pedals with a bottom hinge can also cause problems if the angles aren't correct.

Otherwise just get used to the aches and pains - you are a youngster :) It will only get worse!

EDIT: I use an office chair so built a stand that raises the pedals up off the floor so that my knees are similar to my BMW driving angle. BMWs have the best driving positions IMHO :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:35:31 PM by Gratulin »

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 01:59:02 PM »
My left knee is buggered from jumping off a bus moving at 26kph, 3500 times in 6 hours.
Two years in a row.
Right knee's buggered from god knows what but I can't heel-toe due to the pain (it just won't twist in that direction).

2+2=√16

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Old and young whinging (aka Regarding ABS for Tue races )
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 02:17:15 PM »
Ok thread title changed to reflect the content :D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »
My left knee is buggered from jumping off a bus moving at 26kph, 3500 times in 6 hours.
Two years in a row.
Pro tip: Only jump off once, and then realise "Ow, that hurt".

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Old and young whinging (aka Regarding ABS for Tue races )
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 02:44:33 PM »
Oh so it's official I now have somewhere to whinge..... Thanks Bird  ;D

Ps I had a shit nights sleep last night, woke in all sorts of pain at 3:30 am. ( just keeping thread on topic so heading doesn't get changed again ???)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:46:16 PM by Glen73 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal