Xtreme Gaming Network

S4R5: Nurburgring Race Chat

Author Topic: S4R5: Nurburgring Race Chat  (Read 37325 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: S4R5: Nurburgring Race Chat
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2014, 09:39:02 AM »
I gave up making my own setup, I was completely lost and well behind Guy,
Its a bit of a black art.  I find in AC its a lot more tricky to get right than say Rfactor when I used to apply similar things to get a result.
I often surprise myself in AC when a certain tweak suddenly gets a good gain.....

Normally I make my own setup but was just going the wrong direction I think this time. Also being the first time I drove the car with not heaps of laps I wanted to see if Guy had found a much better way then me.

I took a second off using his set vs mine so I guess he has gone a more correct way then I was but I will still likely tweak some things (aka make it worse ;D) as it seems a bit of time left in it. I had only ran a few laps with his but quite a few in mine and found large chunks of time straight away.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
I just saw on the all-time stats that we are equal on race wins Marty with 12 a piece... I may or may not have put up a "dummy" setup :p

Actually your overall score is better than mine in the all-time stats, so I have some catching up to do!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2014, 08:42:41 PM »
I just saw on the all-time stats that we are equal on race wins Marty with 12 a piece... I may or may not have put up a "dummy" setup :p

Actually your overall score is better than mine in the all-time stats, so I have some catching up to do!

Your still generally quicker then me everywhere, I have only beaten you head to head in equal cars a couple times if you havent had other issues. If your setup is a dummy then I must be one because it worked better then mine.  ;D

Still surprised we haven't had contact in a proper race as yet but only a few times I have been close enough to you to actually hit you without resorting to a superman jump.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2014, 10:59:37 PM »
Freezer, have you managed any laps in the P4/5 yet? What times are you getting? I'm not breaking 2:00 and mostly doing 2:02s in race trim. Everyone else that I can see times for are doing 1:59s easily in race trim and 1:57s PBs even in slower cars. Stan Daam is doing those times in the MP4 which I got kicked out of because of Marty. I tried the MP4 and I was a bit faster in that in just a couple of laps. So sort of hoping it is the P4/5 but probably me being slow around here?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2014, 11:16:57 PM »
Freezer, have you managed any laps in the P4/5 yet? What times are you getting? I'm not breaking 2:00 and mostly doing 2:02s in race trim. Everyone else that I can see times for are doing 1:59s easily in race trim and 1:57s PBs even in slower cars. Stan Daam is doing those times in the MP4 which I got kicked out of because of Marty. I tried the MP4 and I was a bit faster in that in just a couple of laps. So sort of hoping it is the P4/5 but probably me being slow around here?

Maybe you would have been too quick in the Mp4 and so finished inside the top 10, also I dont pick cars  ;) but maybe Wally gave you one for the best chance at remaining in your usual spot.

Looking at RSR the MP4 is a little quicker mostly due to a higher top speed, RSR Records show the cars to be in this order.

M3 GT2 1:53.480
458 GT2 1:53.670
MP4 12C gt3 1:54.778
P4/5 1:55.763
Evora GTC 1:56.004
Merc SLS 1:56.216
Evora GX 1:57.022

I had a little practice run with Stan and Djosh, I just stayed ahead of Stan for 11 laps then I kind of hit him on t1 of the last lap just after he got by me. Pretty sure I was holding him up as I couldn't get away and was running a pretty good pace for me so had he got ahead on lap 1 I probably wouldn't have seen him again. I expect guy to run mid 58's but there may be a few others around there, Wally hasnt set a lap in the Merc yet as it would probably be well under the RSR record.  ;D

I also found the Evora GX is just short of making the race on fuel, its able to do 21 laps on a tank but pretty sure it would be quicker to stop well earlier then that.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:21:05 PM by marty »

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2014, 11:21:41 PM »

I think I have a setup for that which I happened to do a 10 minute job while in a public server the other day.  I'll put it up when I'm at my PC tomorrow if it helps.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2014, 07:38:49 AM »
I don't really bother with RSR times in general. I just set the car up and learn it in race trim. I don't have RSR running most of the time.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2014, 11:48:47 AM »
I got kicked out of because of Marty. I tried the MP4 and I was a bit faster in that in just a couple of laps.
Evil Marty and his outlandish ideas!!  ;D
I was the other way round, I was in the P4/5 then the evil monkey pointed his finger at me and I got the MP4... Schweet Mate!!  :D
Maybe you didn't pay the evil monkey enough bananas?  :)

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2014, 12:13:30 PM »
I need to do a bit more practice yet, but I have dropped into the low 1.59s.  Likely to get a little bit quicker but not a whole heap.  Trying to work out hi versus low down force options....!!  Monza went well with low down force and soft suspension to maintain some mechanical grip . . so that might be the way.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2014, 12:14:45 PM »
You do the time, you pay the crime.
Or something like that...
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2014, 12:56:24 PM »
I need to do a bit more practice yet, but I have dropped into the low 1.59s.  Likely to get a little bit quicker but not a whole heap.  Trying to work out hi versus low down force options....!!  Monza went well with low down force and soft suspension to maintain some mechanical grip . . so that might be the way.
This track is much more twisty - while it has two straights that can use the speed, it's much MUCH slower track (check the distance/laptime values, it gives you the 'speed' of the track, that's really an average speed / lap )

I reckon quite a bit more wing is needed.   It's also better for a safer setup to have more wing.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2014, 02:10:41 PM »
This track is much more twisty - while it has two straights that can use the speed, it's much MUCH slower track (check the distance/laptime values, it gives you the 'speed' of the track, that's really an average speed / lap )

I reckon quite a bit more wing is needed.   It's also better for a safer setup to have more wing.

You can go both ways in most cars, go too low aero and you lose exit speed so you probably wont be close enough to the car ahead to get past in the straight anyway. Lap time wise you can get similar times with fairly different setups but with such short straights a little more aero may make it easier to pass by getting in close on exit and gaining a speed boost with the draft. Quite a few places to make a move under braking that are also much safer then t1 or the chicane.  ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2014, 03:35:28 PM »
In terms of the general track layout it's definitely more of a long turn grip track, so sloppy suspension + front end mid corner grip.  Usually this means setting the front up for as much grip as you can and then going as low as you can for the rear.  So the rear is compromised for the front, as opposed to somewhere like the last race where the front is compromised for the rear (and not just because of the long straights at Monza, but the 90 degree corners also where turn in is more important than mid-corner grip).

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2014, 04:42:48 PM »
Now that's quality info, Guy, keep it coming!

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2014, 04:56:11 PM »
The only other thing I'd point out, and this is in general, is that more rear end grip = worse cornering ability.  More rear grip will make the car more stable, but generally will reduce the cornering capability of the car.  The less rear grip you have the car will generally want to pivot more on the front end of the car, which results in a better/tighter turning radius but as a result the back is trying to "swing around" more which can result in oversteer.

That's why some of the faster setups are difficult to drive and you will notice less rear wing, less rear negative camber and stiffer suspension and dampers in the rear compared to the front.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal