Xtreme Gaming Network

Whats involved with a Dslam backhaul upgrade these days?

Author Topic: Whats involved with a Dslam backhaul upgrade these days?  (Read 25152 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Whats involved with a Dslam backhaul upgrade these days?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 04:17:15 PM »
good luck there! 

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 05:25:38 PM »
good luck there!

You have inspired me with confidence!!!!

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 12:48:45 PM »
Well believe it or not, they let me cancel it with no exit charges. It is so slow I don't think it is fair they let me sign up to something so congested, fortunately they agreed.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 01:14:14 PM »
Well believe it or not, they let me cancel it with no exit charges. It is so slow I don't think it is fair they let me sign up to something so congested, fortunately they agreed.

Now what? Do you have some other options to get 'decent internet speed'?
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
If it was indeed the bandwidth to the node, then nothing can help, except another ISP's own lines & equipment.
If it was something else, though, then another ISP can be a good option.  But you'll probably not know it without trying - and that may lock you into another contract.  While you *can* start using internode w/o a contract IIRC, it comes at a hefty subscription price - altho if you need no modem it maybe cheaper (and I'd strongly suggest skipping their billion modem offer; it's not a good one).

Cable (the TV cable) can be good, if you're connected.  Sadly this is not often available outside of major cities.

4G (Telstra here) can be bloody good speed too, if you're covered, but it's fairly expensive. (I'm on the border of the covered area and it's still _very_ fast.  I mean it, it's a lot faster than my ADSL!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:32:32 PM by Bird »

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 02:08:05 PM »
If it was indeed the bandwidth to the node, then nothing can help, except another ISP's own lines & equipment.
If it was something else, though, then another ISP can be a good option.  But you'll probably not know it without trying - and that may lock you into another contract.  While you *can* start using internode w/o a contract IIRC, it comes at a hefty subscription price - altho if you need no modem it maybe cheaper (and I'd strongly suggest skipping their billion modem offer; it's not a good one).

Cable (the TV cable) can be good, if you're connected.  Sadly this is not often available outside of major cities.

4G (Telstra here) can be bloody good speed too, if you're covered, but it's fairly expensive. (I'm on the border of the covered area and it's still _very_ fast.  I mean it, it's a lot faster than my ADSL!

Now what? Do you have some other options to get 'decent internet speed'?

Nope, just time, by April 2015 the exchange will be upgraded to ADSL2+, I didn't want to pay $100 per month bundle plan for rubbish internet. That's another $500 while I wait until the exchange gets an upgrade... no thanks  ;D

No 4G here either, lucky to get 3G, no other options as far as I know, there are other providers but aren't they all running through the same exchange? how could I find out with out signing up again for what could be more rubbish?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 02:28:50 PM »
Try to call internode, and explain your situation.  They maybe able to help you on the spot (if they have their own equipment in there).

You can also try to gleam some information here:
http://adsl2exchanges.com.au/detailedsummarystart.php

p.s. where are you that even 3G is questionable?  I thought I was fairly out of the way, being on the border of 4G coverage & on an over-crowded exchange...I don't envy you. :(
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 02:30:50 PM by Bird »

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 02:48:41 PM »
Loch 3945 in Vic.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 03:42:58 PM »
p.s. where are you that even 3G is questionable?  I thought I was fairly out of the way, being on the border of 4G coverage & on an over-crowded exchange...I don't envy you. :(

Actually 3G is good, but I moved here for the lifestyle not the internet,...... do you remember life before the net  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 06:26:02 PM »

Actually 3G is good, but I moved here for the lifestyle not the internet,...... do you remember life before the net  ;D ;D ;D
Ha!  Well, I hardly do anymore.  I was young when the whole thing started, and I'm hooked since...:)

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 12:29:26 PM »
Just a quick plug for Telstra.

They cancelled my contract on the 25th after 1 month into a 24 month contract but everything has been running as normal, so normal.... I received another bill  :o so I rang again today and they said for some reason the cancellation request remained "pending" from the 25th, the first guy remembered me and said he is going to credit me the $221 owing on the the account, and then the second guy said from the disconnection team thought I should also receive a refund of $15 for a late bill payment as I received the bill via email when my internet wasn't setup, and also refunded my $59 connection fee.

So all in all I am $80 in credit  ;D :D ;D no early disconnection fee either WOW is this really Telstra I kept telling myself....

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »
LOL, they still fucked up, twice at that; but you came out lucky.  Altho...let's not celebrate until you get your money! ;)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 12:45:10 PM »
Yeah, I'd wait and see if they refund your next bill. ???

2+2=√16

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 12:55:18 PM »
I have it in an email explaining the refund  8)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 01:14:29 PM »
Sounds like a spam email LOL

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal