Xtreme Gaming Network

The Grip Poll

Poll

Do you want to stick with 110% grip for the rest of the season?

Yes, loved it
2 (12.5%)
Don't care either way
2 (12.5%)
No, hated it
12 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: The Grip Poll  (Read 16274 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
The Grip Poll
« on: June 09, 2015, 10:17:22 PM »
What did you think of the 110% grip now that we've actually tried it?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: The Grip Poll
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 07:48:16 AM »
I quite liked the feel of the raised grip. Like Freezer said in the Imola post-race chat, it made the cars feel more planted, as they would feel in real life, instead of feeling like they were drifting in every single corner. I could definitely still slide the McLaren, spin, make mistakes etc. In no way could I say the car was ”glued to the track”.

On the downside, there were times when the car kind of hopped or bounced a little, possibly because the road suspension was not equipped for the extra traction, which you could look at like putting soft slicks on the car.

Of more concern to me is the admin overhead. If we kept this up, we'd have to have customized versions of all the tracks we used, for download, and figure out an appropriate grip increase for different cars. It also sets you apart from setting RSR lap times, if that's your thing. If AC simply allowed the grip setting to go over 100%, I'd think again.

So I did like the way it felt on track, but I'm not for it because of the extra work.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 09:21:34 AM »
While you maybe right - I don't really have a comparison to track days - I did not like it, because it made driving the car much harder (near the limit).   Maybe it's just these cars, but they felt way too planted.  The near arcade-level grip made it really difficult to find the limits and drive there.

But it was an interesting test, certainly! ;)

Oh; and an added pain; any good laps just go down the drain.  I can't get that nice feeling "hey I'm 3rd on RSR!" :D

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 09:26:23 AM »
found this on the net

"Aris the physics guy for Assetto Corsa on AC forum said, to replicate real life you have to drive P1 and LaFerrari on road tires...track grip to be set on slow or green and 10-13C track temp....default setup on P1 is full slick tires, Aris said they did this so new people to the game wouldn't get intimidated by difficulty and stop playing AC. Discussion here. http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/mclaren-p1-vs-the-ferrari.21657/"
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 09:55:33 AM »
While I voted no, I didn't 'hate' it, I still had fun last night. As a relatively new sim racer, but somebody who has played a lot of Forza games, it kind of felt like stepping back towards Forza in a way. One thing I've had to learn with AC is throttle control to maintain grip, but I found I didn't really need to care about it so much last night and could just floor it out of the corners and the car would still hold on. Similarly with braking you could pretty much just press the pedal right down and it wouldn't lock up.

For me it's probably more I want the game to remain consistent as I'm learning. If I'm playing on XGN server or other servers I want it to feel the same.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 10:04:10 AM »
"While I voted no, I didn't 'hate' it," I  DID NOT have fun last night.

I did test the extra grip up to just before last night and then the PC crapped itself. My main concern was the the cars, already very fast, were going to be too quick in the race.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 10:13:55 AM »
found this on the net

"Aris the physics guy for Assetto Corsa on AC forum said, to replicate real life you have to drive P1 and LaFerrari on road tires...track grip to be set on slow or green and 10-13C track temp....default setup on P1 is full slick tires, Aris said they did this so new people to the game wouldn't get intimidated by difficulty and stop playing AC. Discussion here. http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/mclaren-p1-vs-the-ferrari.21657/"

That makes sense as I did run both cars at Nords with regular optimum grip and looking at the replays it looked like an arcade game with the grip it gets around the corners. I did drive the p1 at Nords with the road tyres and it was more believable cornering speeds and so this is a long way from the sticky tyres with even more grip.

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 10:34:44 AM »
I thought the test went well last night and we definitely had some great racing with it, but over all I would like to stay with the 'normal' settings. Like Bird said, I too like the RSR rankings and it also felt like the extra grip unbalanced some cars more than others. But a good night was had and I don't mind experimenting  :P.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 10:38:28 AM »
I will quote Aris posts in that thread which Phil.8 linked to. The track grip and temps are regarding the Nordschleiffe.

AC by default simulates a nirvana optimum grip. This is good as theoretically this grip can be achieved... but probably never will be. Also it is good for mass market and helps the new comers to have a less hard impact with simracing world. That's also why we put the semislicks tires as default choice. Good for new comers means more sales and more sales means more licenses which is a good thing for everybody.

Hardcore simracers should know better and use the proper tyres, the proper circuit grip, the proper ambient temp and so on. It's not that hard to do and should give them more satisfaction. But as usual, we always get complains from "hardcore simmers" for too much grip or whatever... it is a bit strange how one can called himself hardcore but spent no time to investigate and find the proper setting. Anyway, sorry for the rant, I do understand that everybody sees things in a different perspective and everybody has a valid point.

In the particular case of the nurburgring, here are some things to remember. It's cold and humid. Even at the summer. When I crashed my M3 some years ago (where you can see the ARIS KURVE as my friends actually draw that graffiti on the track for real LOL), it was mid august... I was time attacking and rain started heavily with "rivers" crossing the road. I aquaplaned at 170kmh... **** happens.
So yeah for the ring I would put the track to slow maybe and certainly keep the ambient temperature always under 15°C

Have fun :D

Here is regarding the tyres for these cars being actual cut slicks not the tyres the cars really run.

Just to clear up the tyres situations as we understand it is confusing to some... What follows is only for the hardcore simracers :D

When TopGear tested the Pagani Hauyra, the laptime was nothing sort of incredible... the fans noted that the car had some "strange" tyres fitted for the fastlap and in the end both TG and Pagani admitted that the car was fitted with some "special tyres". Those tyres were actually slick tyres, hand cut with some rudimental tread.

We simulated those tyres in the huayra and so we are using them (in the correct dimensions) in the other hypercars too. They are trully slick tyres, even way too grippy and probably they last too much... We called them trofeo because... too long story... but they are proper slicks

The actual cars though do use the street tyres and if you want absolute realism and laptimes, then I would recommend street tyres and green track conditions with cold weather.

Have fun and don't stay safe, it's virtual so you don't have to pay if you destroy one single prototype that costs a million :D

I did always feel these cars were way too quick and grippy already, the p1 is way more fun to drive with the road tyres. Seeing in races we will all be using the slicks anyway I really dont think we need any more grip then these already give us.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 01:50:25 PM »
Here is a little article on what it is really like to drive LaFerrari  . . . and they don't mention 'arcade like' once!!
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ferrari/laferrari

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 01:59:42 PM »
I still think that AC over-does the under steering on some cars, such as the standard 458.

The rest I likeys as is though.

Maybe next we should try a round with reduced grip, settings as suggested by Aris above?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 02:18:49 PM »
The reduced grip would mostly be in the tyres using road tyres and not the slick option. The track settings aris suggest are mostly to do with Nords but would be relevant to Spa a bit too. Still a server has no way of setting temps etc so only grip levels and no way of forcing tyre per server but if ptracker is used by all we could easily make sure everyone was to use the road tyre. Still being more of a cup race using the slicks isnt so bad as any race series that runs even road car based classes will normally run a track specific tyre not the stock street variant.

This would be going away the exact opposite way to what Wally's idea is, still the main issue is nearly everyone will overdrive every car in a sim but get put into the real thing youd need quite a few laps and some confidence before pushing anywhere near the same levels. People will always push hard in a sim and unless there are track speedlimits like at the 24hr race at Nordschleife this year lol your not going to slow people down. There were 2 guys that lost their nords license during that race for not slowing in slow zones or exceeding the set speed limits.

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 03:02:12 PM »
Didn't hate it, wasn't as bad as I thought but in the end of the day they are road cars on roadish tyres lol and I think we should just keep it all as intended by kunos as that's the most accurate representation. Still had fun but one thing I missed was the evolving track I really like that challenge.
do you even motorsports?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 05:09:15 PM »
I did try the P1 at Nords the way that aris suggested road tyres, had 15c overcast and slow grip. Ended up 15c ambient and 11c track, grip 95% and the car was far from the same sort of silly speed it is with the slicks. optimum grip and 26/32 temps.

Lap times were 6:21 the optimum mp setup and 6:56 with the more realistic settings, its really quite manageable and easier to drive with the slower setup. As long as you remember not to brake as late as with the grippy slicks and not take as much speed through the corners but its not really any more drifty then it is with slicks. Getting around Nords in those very quick conditions makes it much trickier actually I think and in those conditions you need to drive much more as you would in a real track day because the cars limits are much more realistic so you simply cant over drive it as you would with the slicks.

If you carry as much speed then you will just wont make the corner and looking at the replay the car looks more like street cars do around the track and seeing the 918 is still officialy the quickest around the track at 6:57 and this is using the odd standard timing. They start the clock at the start line near turn 1 but end it at the finish line just after the last turn which knocks about 4 seconds off the laptime.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 07:41:23 PM »
Here is a little article on what it is really like to drive LaFerrari  . . . and they don't mention 'arcade like' once!!
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ferrari/laferrari

”Its responses may be massive, its grip vast and its performance envelope borderline insane, but it also feels surprisingly, well, normal in the way it drives.”

”Never before have I driven a mid-engined car that feels so well balanced, so comfortable, when its rear tyres are lit and you’ve got half an armful of corrective lock applied. In my head, in my world, you should not be able to drive a car like this, like that, but believe me; anyone who knows broadly what they are doing behind the wheel could do exactly the same thing in it after a while. And that’s purely because the car has been engineered to allow most people to be able to drive it hard, really hard, without scaring themselves.”

These kinds of feelings have never been captured by a sim - not just AC, any sim. You just end up spinning, sliding, understeering, oversteering. Maybe it's just impossible without G forces and a dash of equal parts of adrenalin and fear. These are the feelings I was trying to capture with increased grip.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal