Xtreme Gaming Network

S10R1: Silverstone Race Chat

Author Topic: S10R1: Silverstone Race Chat  (Read 46748 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: S10R1: Silverstone Race Chat
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2016, 09:00:11 AM »
marty, you are the master of the understatement... "...and putting in a few hours of practice..."

Watching the footage, I would love the BMW to have that sort of relaxed turn in, with minimal input, man, I don't expect to be in the low 2s, but it is such hard work get it around turns... I am running out adjustment strategies, been doing a lot of short offline runs, but I still do not have the knack.
I think I am going to be a speed hump, and will always get out of the way, but remember:

I am SLOW, I brake EARLY and I am SLOW!

ps I will exit if it gets to bad.

Exiting for any reason other than your house burning down around you is BANNED :)
You are out there to have the mental toughness to complete the race, no matter what happens.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2016, 09:05:15 AM »
Wow thanks for sharing that last video Marty!
My race line is way off on some of those corners!

Will have to review and try those lines b4 the race tomoz!!

Epic time for the Nismo... is it because I'm just a wannabe at home that my PB is about 4.5 secs off that time? Or is the track scan different to real life?

So cool to be able to count what gear he's in and where his break points where... really awesome!
Thanks again  ;D

Well, gtfo.
My pb is a 6:06 2:06 under optimal conditions.

I don't get how to drive the Nissan fast.  It's a user-friendly car at my speed, but I just can't see where's the extra speed lost, especially 6 seconds.  I'm doing pretty much the exact same thing he does, except - obviously - much slower.  And the t3-4 tight right/left hander I maybe going too wide into the second corner - but I reckon he messed up the entry into the first part, too.

The way the guy in the Nismo takes the first couple of slow corners certainly isn't the quickest way in AC.  I would like to see some other pole laps there to see if they all do that or whether it might have been due to the car/setup/track at the time.

Something more like this:

I'm with you, that's how it should be taken to get a fast exit (or any kinds, really; if I go in that tight as he did on the orig vid, the car just won't turn in)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:44:14 AM by Bird »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2016, 09:47:01 AM »
I think I am going to be a speed hump, and will always get out of the way, but remember:

I am SLOW, I brake EARLY and I am SLOW!

ps I will exit if it gets to bad.

Dont worry at all Bruce, look at the large fields in all real gt racing and there is a huge mix of cars and driving pace levels. In the large fields part of the challenge will be dealing with traffic. Sure those getting lapped just shouldnt defend their position but also they shouldnt worry too much about it. The faster car behind still needs to find a safe way past the car infront being lapped just shouldnt unduly delay them.

My favourite onboards are at the Nords 24hr race its pure madness there with the fast cars getting through traffic from lap 1 until the end while mid battle at one of the hardest tracks in the world to pass cars.

This is a lap at Nords showing the sort of madness with slow traffic, yellow flags and course cars on track. All this while the guy is in a big battle with the car ahead needing to be very aware of all the hazards ahead of them.

I hope people dont get too scared by laptimes of anyone else and just enjoy doing their best during the season. Racing in larger fields if all are at least trying their best to not cause too much delay to cars lapping  it will be great. With so many cars everyone will have someone to battle with and the races should be far from boring.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2016, 10:20:28 AM »
Well said Marty.

Bird, the Nissan is clearly much slipperier in AC, maybe cos the tyres aren't hot. I immediately feel so slippery in AC after watching that vid, where his car is nearly always dead straight and predictable.  And teammate, I hope your PB is better than 6:06 ;)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2016, 10:39:57 AM »
That was very entertaining to watch!
It also must be rather scary in the slower cars; you're a sitting duck, nothing else...

There must be a rule, though that fast cars have the racing line most of the time; look at especially the very last few seconds; he comes up on a bunch of slow cars being overtaken it seems by a medium-speed one; he does not overtake between those cars, but goes off to the right while the mid-speed one drifts off the line. 

Very interesting.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:45:22 AM by Bird »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2016, 10:42:49 AM »
Well said Marty.

Bird, the Nissan is clearly much slipperier in AC, maybe cos the tyres aren't hot. I immediately feel so slippery in AC after watching that vid, where his car is nearly always dead straight and predictable.  And teammate, I hope your PB is better than 6:06 ;)

Hehe.  2:06, that is.  But that was, as I said, in perfect conditions in offline praccy.   Altho it was also fairly early...well, I dunno, but even the world record is in the 03's which probably indicates some pace loss, too.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2016, 11:01:02 AM »
That was very entertaining to watch!
It also must be rather scary in the slower cars; you're a sitting duck, nothing else...

There must be a rule, though that fast cars have the racing line most of the time; look at especially the very last few seconds; he comes up on a bunch of slow cars being overtaken it seems by a medium-speed one; he does not overtake between those cars, but goes off to the right while the mid-speed one drifts off the line. 

Very interesting.

The one key thing with this race in particular is getting a license to race in it is very strict and anyone driving badly will lose their license and be asked to leave during the race. I think Shane van gisbergan hasnt raced there yet because he hasnt ran enough vln races to qualify for the 24hr license but I think he will race this year.

Last year I think 2 guys lost their license for not obeying yellow flags and speeding in a slow zone. They got ordered into pit and had their licenses revoked on the spot. The cars were allowed to continue on if they had enough licensed drivers to complete the race.

Its such a dangerous place and with a grid of 150 cars  reduced a little now I think to about 120. The pace of drivers is not a question but obeying flags and being aware in traffic is strictly monitored.

Can you imagine that at 3am in rain and fog.  ??? This was just before they stopped the race one year due to very dangerous conditions.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2016, 11:06:46 AM »
GREAT NEWS GUYS!!!!!!!

ITS BEING  RAINING HEAVY FOR THE PAST 5 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :) :) :) :) :) :)   you dont know how happy i am,,,yes.....i have suffered a lot with the irrigation this year

Such a relief....focking farming!!!

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2016, 11:08:48 AM »
Wow, two things from that Nords video:

1) That is fcking crazy.  It seems completely unsafe.  The passes they are making on those slower cars I wouldn't even be game to make in AC!

2)  It seems so much incredibly faster than AC.  No doubt somewhat related to the FOV and being able to see out the side window as well, but for some reason AC just seems so slow when you are going quick.  I gave my brother a crack at AC a few months back - he does some driver training for Porsche and Audi and has raced all sorts of cars.  He also couldn't believe how slow AC felt to the point where he couldn't control the car - he said the car behaviour felt realistic but it was all completely unrealistic because of the lack of sensation of speed.  Knowing what pace to enter corners, where to brake and how much the tyres could handle was completely un-intuitive for him, not to mention any sort of trepidation just because everything looked so slow.

It could also be my setup though - single 27 inch monitor @ 37 FOV.

I think part of the reason AC looks so slow is because everything is so smooth.  If you look at this vid there is a lot of head bobble and a rougher ride compared to AC:

[youtube]2NjLpfaUwXY[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:32:01 AM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2016, 11:33:26 AM »
And don't forget the lack of "seat of your pants” feel. The g forces pressing you into your seat and then pushing you forward into your belts must contribute to the sensation of speed.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2016, 11:51:01 AM »
I tried to pit during the race on the server without making changes,but the game it wont let me go,as soon as click to add fuel or changing tyres the confirm tick is working,,,,is it  normal?   

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2016, 12:03:51 PM »
I tried to pit during the race on the server without making changes,but the game it wont let me go,as soon as click to add fuel or changing tyres the confirm tick is working,,,,is it  normal?

Have you got the pit config app running also, if you do best to make the changes in that even if its not visible on screen but enabled in options. I havent tested what happens if you have that set as no changes but then try to manually adjust the stop within the normal pit window but this could be your issue.

If you dont intend to run the pit app in the race and want to do the stops manually best to disable the app in the launcher so it doesnt interfere.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2016, 12:09:42 PM »
If you have no changes set in Pitconfig, the option screen appears when you pit.
You can just drive off though. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2016, 12:14:03 PM »
If you have no changes set in Pitconfig, the option screen appears when you pit.
You can just drive off though. ;)

That's right. That confused me as well. With no changes, you don't have to do anything. You just drive off again.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2016, 12:17:53 PM »
yes i had the PCS running ....ok thx guys all good!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal