Xtreme Gaming Network

S10R1: Silverstone Race Chat

Author Topic: S10R1: Silverstone Race Chat  (Read 46748 times)

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
Re: S10R1: Silverstone Race Chat
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2016, 12:40:30 PM »
But......what time the pits are open?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2016, 12:46:24 PM »
No pit window. You can do your CPS whenever you want.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2016, 01:02:46 PM »
GREAT NEWS GUYS!!!!!!!

ITS BEING  RAINING HEAVY FOR THE PAST 5 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :) :) :) :) :) :)   you dont know how happy i am,,,yes.....i have suffered a lot with the irrigation this year

Such a relief....focking farming!!!

great news for your crops! Pleased to hear, (and as i a am a vega-aquarian) :)
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2016, 01:32:36 PM »

hehehee  i meant whats the race schedule :-[

yes Bruce thx  huge relief as i got almost 2000 fruit trees.I got the irrigation but you cant beat the rain it was very,very dry

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2016, 01:45:09 PM »

I think in the season info it says between laps 6 and something, or is this only for the long races?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2016, 01:47:16 PM »

yes Bruce thx  huge relief as i got almost 2000 fruit trees.I got the irrigation but you cant beat the rain it was very,very dry

I was waiting for you to say you you had 1000 heads of cattle or something.

I saw this the other week when in South Australia having breakfast.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2016, 04:36:24 PM »
I mean........................................

................................what time does the practice start?

>:(

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2016, 05:54:50 PM »
Wow, two things from that Nords video:

1) That is fcking crazy.  It seems completely unsafe.  The passes they are making on those slower cars I wouldn't even be game to make in AC!

2)  It seems so much incredibly faster than AC.  No doubt somewhat related to the FOV and being able to see out the side window as well, but for some reason AC just seems so slow when you are going quick.  I gave my brother a crack at AC a few months back - he does some driver training for Porsche and Audi and has raced all sorts of cars.  He also couldn't believe how slow AC felt to the point where he couldn't control the car - he said the car behaviour felt realistic but it was all completely unrealistic because of the lack of sensation of speed.  Knowing what pace to enter corners, where to brake and how much the tyres could handle was completely un-intuitive for him, not to mention any sort of trepidation just because everything looked so slow.

It could also be my setup though - single 27 inch monitor @ 37 FOV.

I think part of the reason AC looks so slow is because everything is so smooth.  If you look at this vid there is a lot of head bobble and a rougher ride compared to AC:

[youtube]2NjLpfaUwXY[/youtube]

Funny you mentioned this, I forgot its a public holiday and shops would be closed so I couldnt get the PC parts I need to fix my main PC. I ended up getting the back up PC which has had a recent upgrade anyway but a pretty basic mobo and I couldn't fit a titan in it as the water cooling setup was touch the RAM on the motherboard. (what a stupid place to put it lol) anyway I could manage to stick an old gtx 480 in there but couldnt run 3 screens as it doesnt have 3 outputs and it barely can run 1 screen at 1080 I tried 1440 and it failed fps wise fairly bad.

I then tried running a few laps and could barely drive due to the limited visibility more then anything but im sure the FOV had quite an effect on this too. So instead of having to deal with this I ripped off the water cooling setup on the GPU and went back to the stock air cooler that doesnt have the extra cooling on the back of the GPU and now it fits.

Credit to you for running a single screen as well as you do, but once your used to triples going back to a single 28 inch I really was going to struggle. This is a pretty big part of both the immersion and driving ability/visibility in tight corners. Single screen with my FOV setup which would have been similar to yours I couldnt see the apexes of most the tight turns and racing in traffic id find that pretty brutal. Also Most of the apps I run on screen I run on the other screens so they arent in view pus at higher res they dont fill the screen as much.

Id highly suggest triples or maybe VR once that comes in but still not sure about the actual fov though you can quite easily turn your head to see more plus with it in 3d it will give proper depth perception. Lets hope the alternatives to the rift bring a bit more to the table as I cant see me ever buying the facebook product.

I really couldnt see myself racing on a single screen again after that little experiment but I guess if someone is already used to it its ok, going from triples to single is quite a shock.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2016, 06:04:05 PM »

Starting up the server now.... qually is at 8:30pm Eastern DST.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2016, 06:05:04 PM »

I think in the season info it says between laps 6 and something, or is this only for the long races?

That's only for the hour long race with 2 pit stops.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2016, 07:25:55 PM »

Funny you mentioned this, I forgot its a public holiday and shops would be closed so I couldnt get the PC parts I need to fix my main PC. I ended up getting the back up PC which has had a recent upgrade anyway but a pretty basic mobo and I couldn't fit a titan in it as the water cooling setup was touch the RAM on the motherboard. (what a stupid place to put it lol) anyway I could manage to stick an old gtx 480 in there but couldnt run 3 screens as it doesnt have 3 outputs and it barely can run 1 screen at 1080 I tried 1440 and it failed fps wise fairly bad.

I then tried running a few laps and could barely drive due to the limited visibility more then anything but im sure the FOV had quite an effect on this too. So instead of having to deal with this I ripped off the water cooling setup on the GPU and went back to the stock air cooler that doesnt have the extra cooling on the back of the GPU and now it fits.

Credit to you for running a single screen as well as you do, but once your used to triples going back to a single 28 inch I really was going to struggle. This is a pretty big part of both the immersion and driving ability/visibility in tight corners. Single screen with my FOV setup which would have been similar to yours I couldnt see the apexes of most the tight turns and racing in traffic id find that pretty brutal. Also Most of the apps I run on screen I run on the other screens so they arent in view pus at higher res they dont fill the screen as much.

Id highly suggest triples or maybe VR once that comes in but still not sure about the actual fov though you can quite easily turn your head to see more plus with it in 3d it will give proper depth perception. Lets hope the alternatives to the rift bring a bit more to the table as I cant see me ever buying the facebook product.

I really couldnt see myself racing on a single screen again after that little experiment but I guess if someone is already used to it its ok, going from triples to single is quite a shock.

Yeah, most hairpins and more acute corners have blind apex's until I'm on top of them.  The second slow corner in Silverstone is difficult as you can't see the corner at all until you are pretty much through it due to the wide, late entry.  But, I guess it's good in one way as it teaches you to learn to use markings in the road and track side to brake, turn-in, etc.

I've noticed some "ultra-wide" monitors come to the market lately.  If VR isn't all it's meant to be, then I'd consider getting one of those once the new generation of GPU's hit and are accessible.

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2016, 09:49:05 PM »
That was fun.

Sorry I had to leave after race one. I stupidly busted my AC joint up (playing football 6 months ago) and the driving position I have irritates it.

It was a pleasure to be back racing though....thanks all

Darren

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2016, 10:42:19 PM »
My 40" seems enough-ish, Guy.  But I wouldn't mind a 42" which is the same height just wider a tad.  Maybe later. :)

I had a ball, even tho both races I've stuffed it up somewhat; run into someone on the straight (I though it was you Guybrush) in the first one, had to wait nearly the whole field to pass until I could sneak in.    Edit; seems Paul clipped a curb while Matthew was on the outside, both done a pirouette right in front of me. :)

Then in the second I've tried very hard early on and nearly run into Wally's ass, and when I came back and tried to overtake on the next lap or so, coming onto the straight I've jerked the wheel too hard to the right and put the front into the wall.  Interestingly the car kept going perfectly well.

Tough beasts these Nissans :D

Thanks for the fun, Gents, and sorry for the few stupid moves.

The view you don't want to see (race 1)  :D

And from the outside:

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:57:25 PM by Bird »

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2016, 11:25:37 PM »
I am addicted to Wally's graphs... can't go to bed until I see them ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2016, 11:26:45 PM »
I am addicted to Wally's graphs... can't go to bed until I see them ;)
They're up :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal