Xtreme Gaming Network

S13R1: Paul Ricard WTCC race chat

Author Topic: S13R1: Paul Ricard WTCC race chat  (Read 16750 times)

Online Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S13R1: Paul Ricard WTCC race chat
« on: July 27, 2016, 07:43:22 PM »
The opening round of season 13 is at Paul Ricard WTCC in France, with 3 x 11 lap sprints.

Weather Forecast (looking like 30 degrees and clear).

For this round only, there will be a 15 minute quallifying session, then races 2 and 3 will be in reverse order from the previous race's results.
In later rounds, each race will be in reverse order of the season standings, with no qualifying session.

Car Selection
Please get me your car selections by Sunday night. If anyone hasn't nominated a car, I will be assigning cars to balance out numbers.

Damage
I will set damage to 50% in each round.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: S13R1: Paul Ricard WTCC race chat
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 10:05:05 AM »
Fun track this one some curb hoping and tyre bundle dodging needed, easy to lose time outbraking yourself so needs a bit of patience on entries

I kind of thought on paper this may have been not good for the gtr with a couple longish straights but a few races with Guybrush shows these cars are pretty close here.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 01:46:02 PM »
There's a chance I won't be back in town in time for the racings on Tuesday night.

Online Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 02:11:12 PM »
There's a chance I won't be back in town in time for the racings on Tuesday night.
Your name will be on the grid, so jump in whenever you can, but you'll have to wait for a practice session.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Rolz

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 09:49:44 AM »
I'm going to seriously struggle with any track practice for this one... don't think I've even done 10 laps on this one ever  :-\

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 11:26:10 AM »
I'm going to seriously struggle with any track practice for this one... don't think I've even done 10 laps on this one ever  :-\

If you join the server when a few are in you will likely pick up the line quicker. If youve driven the Paul ricard circuit before this layout has just the one shortcut at t1 the rest is the regular layout with chicane.

Online Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 01:44:14 PM »
Fun track this one some curb hoping and tyre bundle dodging needed, easy to lose time outbraking yourself so needs a bit of patience on entries

I kind of thought on paper this may have been not good for the gtr with a couple longish straights but a few races with Guybrush shows these cars are pretty close here.
It is a fun track. The turn 2 to 3 section is a test of commitment over the kerbs and past the barriers, and that flat out long right hander at the end of the straight has always been a favourite corner.

Online Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 03:27:00 PM »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JbOkmQdC14[/youtube]

It's interesting to observe where he takes a lot of kerb.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 04:32:06 PM »
I tried a couple races in some different cars, switching from LHD to RHD is brutal. You need to be close to the tyre bundles and the switch mean I hit quite a few of them. Also I had TC on by mistake for a bit in the Supra and its horrible, spins easier over curbs and is just slower making throttle fairly unresponsive.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 09:56:36 AM »
Struggled to find some decent brake markers last night. Need more practice tonight for sure.

Online Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 10:32:30 AM »
Struggled to find some decent brake markers last night. Need more practice tonight for sure.
Just use some shadows. What could possibly go wrong?

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 10:40:50 AM »
hehehe, tried that in my noob days. Quickly found out when you're rubbin' the bumper of the car in front coming into the braking zone.....well I don't have to say anymore...... ::) ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 11:23:57 AM »
Paul Ricard I think is one of the better tracks in terms of markers, they have measured markers on both sides of the track and this is what I use. Pick a distance 50, 100 etc and then just pick a distance relevant to this so for example t1 May be just before the 100m. You can easily move this point forward or back as needed and this corner in particular if you come in too hot and miss the apex curb it will cost you nearly half a second.

The other thing I like about this track is they have also marked apexes with those yellow posts or some other apex curbs, if on single screen these may be quite hard to see as the corners are quite long and wide so you need to look a long way left or right into some corners for the apexes. Those long corners on a single screen I think would be quite tricky, then also following others closely its much trickier so people really should get some practice racing others even more then hotlapping here to be able to learn how to race others cleanly here and not rear end people into entries.

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 11:27:51 AM »
lol...you have a bit of a thing with those yellow posts. ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 11:33:39 AM »
lol...you have a bit of a thing with those yellow posts. ;D

The thing is they are my target so I tend to hit them a fair bit, not good as then you lose your target and also they end up in random parts of the track next time past. Driving the 370 and Supra for some reason running over these mid track was causing some weird collisions at times. The 370 being the only LHD car here its the biggest change and hard to adjust as you need to get as close as you dare to the tyre bundles. This means you need to be able to judge the sides of the car and switching from LHD to RHD will make those corners quite awkward.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal