Xtreme Gaming Network

S10R7: Spa Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S10R7: Spa Post-Race Chat  (Read 19329 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: S10R7: Spa Post-Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 10:18:16 AM »
Grat, it's a given that two computers time-separated will see a different reality. :)  That's why a really good netcode is really important in these games.

I can report a very happy evening for myself, the two 4th positions were better than I dared to hope for. 

Quali did not go too well, I've lost 3 laps due to cuts, the only remaining wasn't the hottest (it was a second slower than my fastest race lap in R1!)
but it was enough for a 7th position start.

R1 I had some great battles & close & clean racing. 

R2 I was interestingly very fast early on (comparatively speaking) and managed to stick to the top guys, however, after the pit I met Simone and in that little tangle I've lost enough that I was nowhere near anymore.  And with that it seems my concentration has gone out the window as well.    Plus I think the Nissan was actually quite good in slippery conditions here - not *that* good when the grip went up.   

Still, 4th is very good in this strong field :)

You had very good speed in the Nissan, a couple of seconds on the rest of us. I ended up using a little more TC to make the car more predictable powering out of corners - about 2/12.

I was also finding a bit of a bog down between 1st and second gears, coming out of the final bus stop corner.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 10:30:25 AM »
You had very good speed in the Nissan, a couple of seconds on the rest of us. I ended up using a little more TC to make the car more predictable powering out of corners - about 2/12.

I was also finding a bit of a bog down between 1st and second gears, coming out of the final bus stop corner.
Thanks. Yeah, it's very hard to get the gearing perfect.  We need the low 1st to be able to start, and I found that a lower 2nd mostly just burns the rubber anyway.  It was still protesting at lower revs in 2nd if you were not going completely straight.

I've found that to be able to go fast, I need to brake a bit earlier, and power through the corner.  It's not quite my usual driving style, but in this car that's the only thing that works, it seems.   And to get it completely working, you need the rear to play along - hence I used TC4-6 (I did my 2:22's at 100% grip on TC 8 )  You need not fear it, unless you do something really nasty (like flooring in while doing an S) it won't completely go around.  It's surprisingly easy to manage.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 10:56:17 AM »
Oh, and btw  big grats to Simone on the clean sweep of consistency!  That's impressive.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 11:13:38 AM »
Grat, it's a given that two computers time-separated will see a different reality. :)  That's why a really good netcode is really important in these games.

I can report a very happy evening for myself, the two 4th positions were better than I dared to hope for. 

Quali did not go too well, I've lost 3 laps due to cuts, the only remaining wasn't the hottest (it was a second slower than my fastest race lap in R1!)
but it was enough for a 7th position start.

R1 I had some great battles & close & clean racing. 

R2 I was interestingly very fast early on (comparatively speaking) and managed to stick to the top guys, however, after the pit I met Simone and in that little tangle I've lost enough that I was nowhere near anymore.  And with that it seems my concentration has gone out the window as well.    Plus I think the Nissan was actually quite good in slippery conditions here - not *that* good when the grip went up.   

Still, 4th is very good in this strong field :)

I lowered 2nd to 6th down a bit in the gearing and used full traction control.  Gets off the line well with full throttle.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 11:15:03 AM »

Thanks. Yeah, it's very hard to get the gearing perfect.  We need the low 1st to be able to start, and I found that a lower 2nd mostly just burns the rubber anyway.  It was still protesting at lower revs in 2nd if you were not going completely straight.

I've found that to be able to go fast, I need to brake a bit earlier, and power through the corner.  It's not quite my usual driving style, but in this car that's the only thing that works, it seems.   And to get it completely working, you need the rear to play along - hence I used TC4-6 (I did my 2:22's at 100% grip on TC 8 )  You need not fear it, unless you do something really nasty (like flooring in while doing an S) it won't completely go around.  It's surprisingly easy to manage.
Yeah, braking early is good advice. I am always entering too fast and fighting understeer.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 11:23:28 AM »
Race Report.
Not my greatest qualifying but managed 8th.
R1:  Got a good jump and snuck around the outside of Bird at T1, then got the left side run on Grat down to Eau Rouge.  Managed to get by Jeremy but then after the pits I came out behind Bird who had pitted a lap earlier.  For some reason I was slow in the second half of this race with both Marty and Grat getting passed on the Kemmel Straight but after that managed to hang on for 8th.
R2:  I changed both roll bars one click each direction prior to the race and this helped a lot as the I was able to really get on the power through the corners and the speed showed, taking 2 sec on my r1 best.
The start was clean, then I was able to get a great pass on Grat around the outside at Blanchimont (thanks to Grat, we kept it clean).  From their I followed the synchronised Lambo's of Paul and Marty.  Every time I got a run on them up Kemmel they were spread across the track and I had no where to go.  With Paul giving marty a little tap later on I was able to get passed him and then they both pitted.
I again ran one lap longer and this time came out behind Paul again. But after many laps of pushing I managed to get him into T1.
From there it was the run home with Stan right behind.  I was intent on keeping him there so pushed hard and managed to hold on for 5th.

All up a great nights racing.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 11:32:52 AM »
Oh, Freezer, you realise that your overtake was essentially illegal between T1 and T2 in Race 1? You are supposed to keep to your side of the track :D

Well done, nonetheless!  You had great pace early on.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:34:28 AM by Bird »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 12:43:32 PM »
Freezer, "I changed both roll bars one click each direction". What does that mean? One click each direction means you didn't change them ;)

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 01:05:07 PM »
Freezer, "I changed both roll bars one click each direction". What does that mean? One click each direction means you didn't change them ;)
I mean I softened the front and stiffened the rear.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 01:11:44 PM »
Oh, Freezer, you realise that your overtake was essentially illegal between T1 and T2 in Race 1? You are supposed to keep to your side of the track :D

I started on the left, passed you on the left and passed Grat on the left . . . :)
and thank you..

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 01:50:27 PM »

I started on the left, passed you on the left and passed Grat on the left . . . :)
and thank you..
Bugger, so no penalty in sight! :D

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2016, 01:52:42 PM »
Qual went OK for me.  I was never going to get near Matthew.  I probably could have shaved off another couple of tenths but not enough to take P1.  I was actually pretty happy with P2 as I thought the Lambo's would be in front.

Race 1 I got a good start and managed t sneak around the outside of Matthew at T1.  From there I was fully expecting him to zip past on the Kemmel straight but he was obviously running a bit more rear wing and I was able to hold him off.  From there it was pretty tight for the next few laps.  I thought that I would pit early rather than risk being undercut as if I came out behind anyone it would have been impossible to overtake, where as if I come out in front and catch me later in the race at least I have a chance to defend.  Had a good pitstop and made up a bit of time with Matthew appearing around 5 seconds behind me.  He whittled away the gap right to the end and it was touch and go for a while as to whether I thought I would have to do some defending.  A good race with some nice pressure.

Race 2 I got a good start and Matthew seemed to bog down so that helped.  With the increase in temp I think it helped my lap times as I seemed to be pulling away from those behind for most of the race.  It also helped that Phil and Matthew had a ding dong battle and probably cost each other a bit of time.  When I pitted I came out behind Bacchulum and had a bit of fun with him before getting past, but that was all the action I came across.  Fun all the same though.

Thanks for another great night guys!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2016, 02:06:45 PM »
I struggled for pace in this combo all along, possibly due to the random pedal spikes as I at times put in a reasonable lap then would struggle to match that for no explainable reasons. I didnt do much practice but ran a couple laps in the prac server before the race nite an put in a reasonable lap on softs but then for reasons I couldnt understand was losing 1 to 2 seconds per lap with better track conditions.

Qualy I was well off pace and well down on my delta, was trying to squeeze pace out over driving and went invalid on all my soft laps so qualified mid pack. Race 1 still struggling for pace I had a reasonable race just making up a few positions but was well off my practice times.

Race 2 I tried some changes to the setup and this just made the car more understeery early and so I made cuts on exits as the car understeered much more then it had before. I was on 3 cuts after 2 laps then my issue became clear as the throttle started to really spike and I was way down on power. At this point I had a few behind and gaining quick with Paul and Freezer, I was randomly losing power but still running a normal line so must have been a bit frustrating for them. I considered pitting early but doing that last week was a pretty big fail at the end and so decided to hang around. Eventually being the slow car ahead I got a nudge from Paul that sent me off track and also gave me a 10 second penalty so I was quite clos to just calling it a day.

I stayed out and just churned out crappy laps to the end barely needing 6th gear due to the pedal really dying on me as the race went on. I didnt really want to take apart the pedals so just added a deadzone before the race but seems that wasnt enough. Still was kind of fun mid pack but got rather frustrating with the random power loss that got worse and worse as the nite went on.

Congrats to the Winners and those around me that did quite well not to hit me more often as it cant be easy following a car that may randomly lose power at any point during a lap.

Offline trackmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2016, 04:14:56 PM »
Started out this race fantastic!
Best qualify ever of 11th with fastest time on the night.
No incidents and did not interfere with anyone's race - yay!
Then - ran out of fuel somehow. I am thinking on qual as I do the outlap it doesn't calculate fuel usage correct to race pace. I am sure I matched the fuel to laps and ran out about lap 10. 

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2016, 04:42:58 PM »
The fuel calculation did some funny things on this track; for me, occasionally it has gone completely out of whack in qualify.
If you did not test fuel, best to ask someone in the same car and add 10L to their estimate ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal