Xtreme Gaming Network

S13R5: Baskerville Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S13R5: Baskerville Post-Race Chat  (Read 20845 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: S13R5: Baskerville Post-Race Chat
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 06:38:34 PM »
After watching some of the F1 and V8 action maybe we expecting a bit too much if the goal is zero contact?  ;D

But i agree the track is one of the better mods, the cliff edge is a shame but by the time you fall off it your race was probably ruined already.

I think zero contact isnt going to happen though people should try to avoid it as much as they can, if they do hit someone then redress I think was supposedly how it works too.  ;) This means if you wack someone hard enough to send them off track you should resume the race behind them. If they go to the back of the field then you do too, kind of an incentive to avoid sending people off if it means your going to lose lots of places too.

You can get away with some rubbing but not divebombing inside and pushing people out even if they are on the inside curb already.  ;D Thats just a couple incidents I had in just 2 corners in one of the races, I may have said some choice words after that too on teamspeak lol.

I saw maybe 4 or 5 other people ahead of me punt others off track in the first 2 races and I dont know if they all redressed either so thats probably more of an issue then the actual contact. But if people redress then they will likely try harder not to hit someone hard enough to send them off the track. Its possible most of those guys did redress  as I didnt check but I know the one that hit me didnt and I dropped from mid pack to dead last there so redress I think should have happened.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 06:54:21 PM »
Yes, like Marty said, it's not realistic to expect zero contacts, especially in tin top racing. Watch the BTCC some time :)

The real cardinal sin is just slamming into the back of someone,  spinning them off track. Side by side contact, with limited peripheral vision, is often unavoidable.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 07:06:33 PM »
It also helps a lot if you know the people you are racing. This means heaps of practice with each other. I feel totally confident in a sandwich between Marty and QC and a lot of guys I regularly practice with. There are many who I only get to race with for an hour a week on race night that I get nervous around. Not that they are bad racers, I just don't know enough about them on the track to make assumptions like I can with others that I'm more familiar with.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »
After watching some of the F1 and V8 action maybe we expecting a bit too much if the goal is zero contact?  ;D

But i agree the track is one of the better mods, the cliff edge is a shame but by the time you fall off it your race was probably ruined already.

I think zero contact isnt going to happen though people should try to avoid it as much as they can, if they do hit someone then redress I think was supposedly how it works too.  ;) This means if you wack someone hard enough to send them off track you should resume the race behind them. If they go to the back of the field then you do too, kind of an incentive to avoid sending people off if it means your going to lose lots of places too.

You can get away with some rubbing but not divebombing inside and pushing people out even if they are on the inside curb already.  ;D Thats just a couple incidents I had in just 2 corners in one of the races, I may have said some choice words after that too on teamspeak lol.

I saw maybe 4 or 5 other people ahead of me punt others off track in the first 2 races and I dont know if they all redressed either so thats probably more of an issue then the actual contact. But if people redress then they will likely try harder not to hit someone hard enough to send them off the track. Its possible most of those guys did redress  as I didnt check but I know the one that hit me didnt and I dropped from mid pack to dead last there so redress I think should have happened.
Hey Marty. I know you did not mention my name, and maybe you were not even talking about me. But I do remember that in race 2 I had a moment where I missed my braking point and touched you---I think. I have to admit I did not have time to watch the replay as I am in Melbourne since yesterday morning. To be honest, I felt very bad at the time, but in my mirrors it did not seem that you went off the road and we were in the middle of a pack, so I thought I did not need to redress. But then I heard on teamspeak you saying something like "I am am dead last now". Unfortunately by that time I was like 2 corners ahead and was unsure as to weather I should have redressed. In any case: sorry.

About redressing in general. I do try to redress when I feel I made a clear mistake and slowed somebody significantly and gained an unfair advantage. At least I "hope" I do it everytime in a one-vs-one battle. But sometime when in a larger pack, I feel it is a bit difficult to ask the driver to replay what happened in his mind and make the decision to wait for the entire pack to go ahead to redress that position. For example, in race 3, I got spun from a bump from behind at turn 1. There was no redressing, but I understand that: that driver would have had to go off road and wait for the entire pack just for that. Yes, it was his mistake, but a small mistake. Sometime it'll be me, sometime it'll be him. As long as we are all conscious and try our best, we'll all have fun and then apologize nicely and give each other a nice hug after the race.

As for the thread discussion: I think that with this track/car combination it was difficult to avoid quit a few bumps. In some sense, I guess it is in the nature of this type of racing and personally I do not mind if it is within the limits of reasonable tough racing.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 10:33:09 PM »
It also helps a lot if you know the people you are racing. This means heaps of practice with each other. I feel totally confident in a sandwich between Marty and QC and a lot of guys I regularly practice with. There are many who I only get to race with for an hour a week on race night that I get nervous around. Not that they are bad racers, I just don't know enough about them on the track to make assumptions like I can with others that I'm more familiar with.

Yea its one of those things the more you race with a few guys the more you know who to give a little more room too, overall though everyone is fine I think in the league. Some guys just not as precise and more prone to errors so best to just give them a little more space. Everyone still makes mistakes though so its no big deal its not like anyone is hitting anyone on purpose. There is some crappy driving in some real life series, I remember FIA gt3 last year lol. It was like a full field of max verstappens in terms of ambition but much lower skill levels so it was amazing nobody got killed with some of the biggest open wheel shunts Ive ever seen in just the Monza and Spa races.

I think one round they had to throw the red flag mid race and have a drivers meeting to get everyone to chill out, the same thing happened a few years ago in the 24hr gt3 race at Spa.

@Grat with the redress I think many want to do the right thing but at times just don't realize or forget, I was going to make my race replay of that race but thought it would make the group look worse then it actually is. It was just a rare crappy race I guess and it stands out as they never are at that level normally. But mostly tight racing on an awkward un familiar track in reverse grid. If it was a real life series Wally may have been charged with attempted murder for setting that up lol.

Offline LetsTestDrive

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 10:36:00 PM »
Anyone catch the news tonight?  :o

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:46:24 PM by LetsTestDrive »

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2016, 10:48:03 PM »
Anyway catch the news tonight?  :o

Ahahah! That's where I was! No kidding: in race 2, after I lost it completely between t1 and t2 I spent like 20 seconds just trying to figure out where the track was. Now I see: I was inside a Coles express... looked strangely familiar, indeed.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2016, 10:48:49 PM »
LOLOL
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2016, 11:15:59 PM »
Anyone catch the news tonight?  :o

Would have been more believable if it was fox news.

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2016, 01:50:33 AM »
ACT Plates

Surprising that this doesn't happen more often with them crazy people. So many bad drivers in Canberra.

Canberran mindset: 60 Zone? Nar I can take this corner at 90

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2016, 10:29:53 AM »
If it was a real life series Wally may have been charged with attempted murder for setting that up lol.

;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal