Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 4: Nurburgring Chat

Author Topic: Round 4: Nurburgring Chat  (Read 60874 times)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
Re: Round 4: Nurburgring Chat
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2014, 01:54:20 PM »
I posted a bug /question about starting from the grid in the support forums.

Dick, when you spend time practising, setting up your car, qualifying and then just get punted back in the field, I think you'll see how annoying that can be!

I don't know, maybe I'm too new and innocent. I find those 'annoying' situations more exciting than anything."Am I going to make it through this hairpin 3 cars wide? Is he going to give me room? Is there enough room? or am I going to be in the kitty litter? I find that very exciting. Split second decisions and my whole race is over. Maybe someone else too. That's racing...Am i going about it all wrong?

I will try and explain it the best way I can, I think it is fairly obvious we aren't racing for sheep stations, there isnt much ego either once you get to know us and fun is on top of our list, ask a few that have been sim racing for a long time, would they rather a win or to have a awesome race regardless of track position. Most will pick awesome race rather than win, last week I had a great race with Bacchulum, the win was only the icing.

Sure racing door to door through turns is what it is all about, knowing when to back off and give room is the key. If you make a mistake and punt someone off, your not going to be hung and shot but you should readdress that position, While it doesn't rectify the other 10 or 12 positions you have lost, it is a sign of respect and acknowledgement that you have made a mistake, just like in real life we are trying to simulate racing. There is nothing more criminal in sim racing to punt some one off and then the offender drives off into the sunset with out a care. So yes, we drive for that perfect race within ourselves, having someone punt you off ruins that race that you have practise for all week. I have punted people off, I readdress and apologise on TS, because I have accidentally caused an accident which may not only effect that guy, but as we saw last night, possibly the rest of the field. One other I thing I noticed last night were some people that had a off for what ever reason, their track re-entry was really sloppy. Don't become panicked trying to get back on track, it looks bad and never ends well. Your off, suck it up and rejoin safely. You should always re-enter the track in a safe manner instead of causing more carnage.

Your going all right Dick, I went passed you a couple of times and you were nice and predictable in your racing lines which makes it much easier to get pass.

Thanks Glen! I will try to take up more room next time! :)

I know i will ruin someones race eventually. Ram someone, turn someone around, nudge them off the track etc. And it will also happen to me. Seems to be all part of SIM racing. So i hope to stick it out and remain calm and never get butt hurt. (better bookmark this page for a few years down the track lol)
I wish I had something to compare my on-line racing with. This is my 1st SIM so I'm totally blown away by how much faster you guys are.
Totally blown away how mature and friendly you all are (if anyone has been in LFR in WoW they will know how ugly and degenerate people can be) Blown away how helpful you all. Mostly though I'm a bit shocked at Marty's obsession with mic noise and Justin Beiber.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2014, 02:09:30 PM »
Sorry guys,but I have very little motivation in racing lately.you know the bug,,,,so I wont be racing next week(I am away on holiday)and hopefully I will regain consciousness in a couples of weeks.

,,,hey Rob sorry for the tap,,,,bugger!!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:11:15 PM by Simone »

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2014, 02:51:26 PM »
'Twas a good night again boys, although my memory of both races has faded somewhat.

First race I got off the line OK and was coming up on Darren and a few others on the inside of the start straight.  I decided to switch to the outside as it looked fairly packed with everyone going for the one apex.  Anyway, there seemed to be a few bumps and I went around the outside and come into T2 just behind Darren.  From there we had a good battle for a lap or so with some decent side-by-side racing.  I locked up on the inside of Darren going into the "carrousel", but luckily he saw it all coming and gave me room to shoot through into the gravel.  I don't recall much else other than being behind Vipergod for a bit and unable to pass.  Then passing a black car just before the finish which I was thinking was a back-marker just stuffing around, but turned out to be Darren out of fuel!

Second race was absolute chaos going into T1.  I saw a white car had spun in the middle of T1 so I went to one side of it and got pole-axed 3 or 4 times trying to just get going.  I got hit, then started to get going and got hit again, then started to get going from outside the track and got hit again and so on.  Anyway, I was racing a few cars in front once I did get going but got in a tangle which sent me backwards again.  Once I got going again I realised Darren was behind me and we had another good fight with Darren eventually getting in front as I braked a bit early into T1 allowing for another car ahead, to which Darren took advantage and swooped up the inside, so a nice move.  From then on I was pretty much stuck to Vipergod's rear bumper and we had a good race to the finish.  Vipergod showed some good nerve by not making a mistake under pressure which would have let me past.

Looking forward to Mugello now :)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2014, 03:13:51 PM »
Actually on the re-entry;  (mostly for those with little experience)
- do not enter if it's the racing line you're merging onto
- do not expect the oncoming cars to brake/avoid for you.  They do NOT expect you to come in their path, especially if they're in the middle of a fray.

A lone oncoming car on a fairly straight part can take evasive action, but otherwise you must enter the track almost like you were coming out from behind a stop sign.

If there's no way to re-enter, you either continue on the grass, slowly, watching for an opening, or simply wait for the field to pass. 

And if you can actually do all this, you're legend :)

Sometimes you can use openings to cross onto the other side if your re-entry would be on the racing line, but be extra careful;  someone might be in the middle of a passing manoeuvre right there, others may get surprised by your entry and take evasive action - thus hitting you or crashing out themselves....

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2014, 03:52:16 PM »

,,,hey Rob sorry for the tap,,,,bugger!!!

No problem Simone. I ended up having a great race with Rolz, so it's all good mate.  :)

rob

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2014, 04:05:54 PM »
Gents, WRT to starting from pits:
if you know your position well, and it's high enough, then just go right ahead and give those positions slowly back over the course of the 1st lap.  I don't think it's worth trying to slot in right at 4th.  And it's easy enough to take the outside line a couple of times.

Good idea Istvan, unfortunately that didn't occur to me in the heat of the moment last night. I will remember that for next time.

Guys, if I did cause mayhem going into T1 in Race 2 I apologize and I will gladly take a self imposed penalty by starting from the rear of the grid next week.

Please let me know if I ruined anybody's race.

rob
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:07:53 PM by rob »

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2014, 04:15:39 PM »
if you know your position well, and it's high enough, then just go right ahead and give those positions slowly back over the course of the 1st lap.  I don't think it's worth trying to slot in right at 4th.  And it's easy enough to take the outside line a couple of times.

Good idea Istvan, unfortunately that didn't occur to me in the heat of the moment last night. I will remember that for next time.

Guys, if I did cause mayhem going into T1 in Race 2 I apologize and I will gladly take a self imposed penalty by starting from the rear of the grid next week.

rob
Totally ruined my day Rob. And totally ruined upcoming practice at Mugello as well!

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2014, 04:24:16 PM »

rob

Actually I got through that one and gained a lot of places, but I would still like to blame you for a lap 8 incident that didn't involve you at all if possible, it would make me feel better. I'll be suing for sleeplessness and depression as well. expect a law suit!  :P

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2014, 04:53:34 PM »
In race 1 I made up some places at the start avoiding some shunts, but slowly fell back to where my pace was, having a great , race long battle with Crimespree and Cramjet (even though there was no overtaking).

An even better start in race 2, again threading my way through without a scratch and ending up in 6th after lap 1.
Then I rapidly fell back to where my pace was, forming a few 'Dave Trains' along the way. :P

The thing I find most annoying about being punted off, is you miss a good chance of some door-to-door racing, which is much more fun. ;) 8)

2+2=√16

Offline Grubbet

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2014, 05:42:25 PM »
I managed to qualify ahead of last place in both races (around 12th - 14th) thanks to the DTM and avoided everyone on race start, only to be punted from behind on the first corner in both races lol.

Not fun after the effort of qualifying, but i got those places back easy enough on the first lap both times due to people crashing all over the place. First lap is always a bit hectic. I mostly avoided other cars during my spins, but i think i hit like a couple of people on separate  occasions and im sorry about that. I did all i could to avoid it.

Overall a very fun race. The DTM is WAAAAY better to drive than the GRA. I cant control the GRA when braking lol.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2014, 06:16:25 PM »
Do reserves score points for the team Wally?
I'm guessing not, as the team points equals my points. :(
(not that it matters, I'm just a little OCD re: stats :P)

2+2=√16

Offline DarrenM

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »
I looked into the launch parameters someone mentioned on ts last night. Turns out they're actually for arma/dayz and don't do anything for AC. Confirmed by a developer.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/starting-ac-with-6-cpus.11632/#post-181835

Just to clear a misconception:
"Set Launch Options" will send these command line options to assettocorsa.exe, which is the launcher, and that won't be propagating to acs.exe, which is the sim.

I have no idea where this started but if anyone is seeing any improvement, or any change whatsoever, because of it then it's just another testimony that the placebo effect runs strong.

I don't know why it would be causing all cores to show high usage but a game wouldn't do that if it were using all cores anyway.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2014, 07:49:58 PM »
Thanks Darren.  Yeah I did not see any difference whatsoever.

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2014, 08:02:16 PM »
LOL @Dick and Glen

I can't get over the feeling that you are trying to somehow take advantage of my better nature and feelings of guilt.

rob

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2014, 08:08:22 PM »
Do reserves score points for the team Wally?
I'm guessing not, as the team points equals my points. :(
(not that it matters, I'm just a little OCD re: stats :P )
They're supposed to - I fixed it, but it's still your worst (dropped) round anyway (Imp scored an extra 5 points).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:10:47 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal