Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 3: Monza Race Chat

Author Topic: Round 3: Monza Race Chat  (Read 100243 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Round 3: Monza Race Chat
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2014, 11:48:06 AM »
Ah, so it was you!
I rarely find the convo a problem - if I need to concentrate, and I do concentrate hard, then I just switch it off mentally.

But there are solutions - and it's not necessarily to enforce a TS-wide quiet, although it's certainly one. :)

From the top of my head;

1) I think you can switch the sounds off in TS, you might even be able to set up a shortcut for this.
2) you can turn the TS volume down
3) we can set up a 'quiet' channel in TS for the race, if a few ppl want this

Anyone else with ideas?  Opinions?

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2014, 12:05:20 PM »
Ah, so it was you!
I rarely find the convo a problem - if I need to concentrate, and I do concentrate hard, then I just switch it off mentally.

But there are solutions - and it's not necessarily to enforce a TS-wide quiet, although it's certainly one. :)

From the top of my head;

1) I think you can switch the sounds off in TS, you might even be able to set up a shortcut for this.
2) you can turn the TS volume down
3) we can set up a 'quiet' channel in TS for the race, if a few ppl want this

Anyone else with ideas?  Opinions?

From a noobs view...
I like the chatter, I think it's important as there is a psychological game going on as well. Even being told to shut up is psychological warfare!  ;) Mainly I think it keeps it friendly and fun. That's why we are here?

Ok I'll say it. If you don't like the chatter it's your problem. You need to tune out or turn it off. Don't expect other people to stop their fun or freedom to communicate cause you get a bit flustered.
Personally I don't like Marty's paint job. guybrushes is heaps better. But I won't tell Marty to change his skins. I'll just pull up my skirt and keep racing.

I don't know what is at risk here after all. A bit of e-pride? Bragging rights? Sure. At the end of the day, there will always be another race. And I see you all as a community not a bunch of fierce rivals.

PS, i just want to thank Marty for being my scratching post. At this stage I'm still getting to know everyone and I have only got material to work with Marty so far.....
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 12:16:36 PM by Dick Forrest »

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2014, 12:21:24 PM »
Actually its been common practise to not go into big conversstions while racing, and it wasnt me that asked everyone to shut up in qualifying 2, I dont know who that was  ;)
But I too feel I dont want to send everyone into a channel of silence, as where is the fun in that :o

Edit: now I regret saying something, carry on as you were and I will deal with it as it is my problem and not anyone else's..... ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 12:26:37 PM by Glen73 »

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2014, 12:22:37 PM »
I tend to zone out when concentrating, so chatter on TS isn't a major issue for me, although I can understand where Glenn is coming from when in the heat of a close-fought battle.  I'm sure this isn't an issue all the time though so maybe for everyone to have a pre-set button to mute TS when maximum concentration is required is the best way to go.

I tend to think that it's all just a bit of competitive fun and I like the community atmosphere that people chatting and joking around brings.  It's great to stretch yourself to be as competitive as possible and to have a challenge which is fun in its own right, but that shouldn't detract from what I'm sure is a league designed to be fair, fun, and accessible to people of varying abilities and levels of interest.  The last thing I want is for things to get so serious that we are hiding setups from each other, submitting complaints about everyone, etc. and just not racing "together" as we do.

If there is a bump here or there, a slower car is holding you up or someone in a faster car with less experience makes a mistake in front of you who cares, it's all part of the fun :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 12:26:04 PM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »
I can see the need for concentration, but there's also the need for fun, and probably more importantly, to let people know you've spun, or are in someone's blind spot, for example. Maybe the best solution for people that it bothers is to mute TS during the race.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2014, 12:30:30 PM »
Guys in the Dtm's next week, softs only lasted 5 laps last night, they then go from 97% to 95% in a few corners, then it doesnt go below 95% but they a trashed. GRPA seems to use tires much better.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
I tend to zone out when concentrating, so chatter on TS isn't a major issue for me, although I can understand where Glenn is coming from when in the heat of a close-fought battle.  I'm sure this isn't an issue all the time though so maybe for everyone to have a pre-set button to mute TS when maximum concentration is required is the best way to go.

I tend to think that it's all just a bit of competitive fun and I like the community atmosphere that people chatting and joking around brings.  It's great to stretch yourself to be as competitive as possible and to have a challenge which is fun in its own right, but that shouldn't detract from what I'm sure is a league designed to be fair, fun, and accessible to people of varying abilities and levels of interest.  The last thing I want is for things to get so serious that we are hiding setups from each other, submitting complaints about everyone, etc. and just not racing "together" as we do.

If there is a bump here or there, a slower car is holding you up or someone in a faster car with less experience makes a mistake in front of you who cares, it's all part of the fun :)

I will draw the line at Gybrushes echo machine. Couldn't make head or tails of what was being said or how many times it was being said.
I like your paint job too Guybrush.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2014, 12:38:57 PM »
Further on the TS thing, we should all keep the chat to a minimum while racing, keep it race related eg. warnings, etc. There's time to debrief afterward. 
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2014, 12:49:43 PM »
For my two cents TS is there to relay information and have a bit of a laugh etc but I don't think we need to hear full conversations during the race . . moderation is the key!
As for the race I qualified mid pack in the GrpA for R1.  Being cautious I braked at about 3 different braking points into T1 trying to judge when people were stopping.  But finally at the turn with the consertina effect there was still some front to rear bumping and some up front paid the price unfortunately.  I ran a pretty consistent race and was picking my way through the field but with about two laps to go I caught the kerb on to the back straight and spun dropping back to about 15th.
R2 Qualified a bit quicker this time to start around 13th.  After narrowly avoiding some high speed tangles I crept up through the pack.  But alas a few DTMs hunted me down and I came home  11th.

I ran softs for both races in the GrpA and had no problem as I was still able to pull similar times at the end of each race.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2014, 12:56:20 PM »
I tend to think that it's all just a bit of competitive fun and I like the community atmosphere that people chatting and joking around brings.  It's great to stretch yourself to be as competitive as possible and to have a challenge which is fun in its own right, but that shouldn't detract from what I'm sure is a league designed to be fair, fun, and accessible to people of varying abilities and levels of interest.  The last thing I want is for things to get so serious that we are hiding setups from each other, submitting complaints about everyone, etc. and just not racing "together" as we do....

Beautifully said.  I had to quote it.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2014, 01:22:11 PM »

I will draw the line at Gybrushes echo machine. Couldn't make head or tails of what was being said or how many times it was being said.
I like your paint job too Guybrush.

My Echo machine was a "flash bang" approach designed to confuse and disorientate.  It worked on me.
Sorry about the echo - turns out my speakers were up louder than they normally are.  At any rate I'm now search for a decent mic.

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2014, 02:22:07 PM »
Actually its been common practise to not go into big conversstions while racing, and it wasnt me that asked everyone to shut up in qualifying 2, I dont know who that was  ;)
But I too feel I dont want to send everyone into a channel of silence, as where is the fun in that :o

Edit: now I regret saying something, carry on as you were and I will deal with it as it is my problem and not anyone else's..... ;D

I wish I hadn't said anything now because I didn't intend to make it sound like "shut up everyone".  Sorry if that's the way you feel or anyone else, honestly didn't mean anything about it.

About half way through race one there was a few running conversations not all related to the race, I agreed with whoever ask for that to be minimised and just asked if we could keep it down before race two. I'm sorry it sounded like shut up, I think those types of words are rather harsh and I certainly wouldn't be telling people to shut up, it's rude and unnecessary.

I assumed TS was used in two ways, I guess, practice is a free for all but if you noticed last night and the week before once qualifying started TS became almost silent and I assumed during the race TS was used to let someone know you're there or convey other important race specific information but not to continue conversations.

I don't think the argument that I can simple mute TS is valid, most of the time TS is funny, worth listening to and during races important information is conveyed, normally this information needs to be conveyed quickly. It doesn't in my opinion make much sense to leave TS because a few people want to have a conversation, I would argue the majority only spoke when saying sorry for causing an accident and other relevant information.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2014, 02:26:05 PM »
Sorry about the chat Glen in race 1 probably a bit too much there, Monza in a group A is really boring so I think we needed to try and stay awake somehow. I also had poor fuel estimates in the pits first race so I put in 49 liters for race 1 which I only used about half of it so my car was even slower then it should have been. I noticed lots of chat in one of the qualies but as I only had one lap to get a time in I zoned it out and really didnt notice it.

Race 2 I had half the fuel and it was nearly a second a lap faster both races got suck in the middle of the pack swamped by some DTM's and then chasing down some grp A cars. Had freezer infront of me a bit in both races, I did get him into Ascari in race 1 when he lost it on his own then in race 2 last lap I got him there on a pass I should put up to see if it was a fair pass or not.

I had a run on him and noticed he was very loose on entry not wanting to lift at exit so I could get by I was going to go inside as he was slower but then saw his front rear go loose to to the right side. Then I decided to go right but he straightened as I was beside and I had to run outside the line to avoid contact but still took the position as I saw it as I had no choice with no room left outside him but will post a replay and would be interested to see how others see such a pass.

To Dick hopefully your neck doesn't get any better, I see the practice incident as your fault entirely as a DTM should never be hit by a group A into Parabolica they should be further ahead by then and its not a first gear corner entry either.  ;)

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2014, 02:41:37 PM »

To Dick hopefully your neck doesn't get any better, I see the practice incident as your fault entirely as a DTM should never be hit by a group A into Parabolica they should be further ahead by then and its not a first gear corner entry either.  ;)

Marty, I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

I was just minding my own business, trying to flood TS with inane chatter, enjoying the sun coming through the trees at the parabolica. Sure, i might have been off pace, but not group A slow, you came in too hot I say. besides. I have to nurse my one set of tires.
  Next thing i know my mirror is full of a blue group A grill, had a split second to brace and WHAM, off goes my Chinese air bag, ( a sofa cushion taped to my steering wheel) And I get, deliberately, shunted off the track. I had time to see Marty giving me the bird as he left the crime scene, before the pain in my neck blacked me out..

It's ok, you'll keep..

see you next practice.. ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:47:15 PM by Dick Forrest »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2014, 04:20:27 PM »
I have not been given to you or anyone!!!!1!!!! ;)

On a more serious note; guys don't feel bad about voicing your opinions, nothing harsh or rude was said, so it's all rosy and good.  If you guys don't speak up no-one will guess what you feel or want.   

So feel free to ask what your heart desires - it won't happen anyway! Ha! :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal