Xtreme Gaming Network

Poll: Disable collisions or take warp damage?

Poll

Which would you prefer?

Disable collisions on the server, so a warp doesn't wreck your race
1 (10%)
Keep collisions enabled, and take your chances with warps
9 (90%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Poll: Disable collisions or take warp damage?  (Read 15564 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Poll: Disable collisions or take warp damage?
« on: August 28, 2015, 03:50:04 PM »
Just out of curiosity (this is not actually possible), which would you prefer?

Disabling collisions would take away from realism, but a warp wouldn't wreck your race.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:51:50 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Re: Poll: Disable collisions or take warp damage?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 04:29:26 PM »
After now realising that a Kevin who had responded to my problem report in the Assetto Corsa forum is a moderator and was speaking on behalf of Kunos it appears that Kunos don't believe there is a problem with their code. So I am not sure what problem we are trying the address here ;)

One day in the distant future Stephano will be running one of his streaming sessions and will casually comment that he just happened to be looking at the NetCode and discovered this crazy bug where every once in a while, quite randomly, a variable overflowed and corrupted the position value in the next field resulting in cars being warped rearward by exactly 50 metres. Change log for AC version 1.523.5 will include 'improvement to multiplayer performance'.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 04:46:33 PM »
Good investigative work
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 05:57:46 PM »
Not being able to collide with anyone takes away the whole dynamic of racing against opponents.  Close racing, good passes, measured aggression, etc. mean nothing.

So definitely leave collisions on.  If there was a way to make cars not collide when there was a warp, so maybe during and 3 seconds after a warp, then that would be preferable.

I always wonder whether all these AC 3rd party apps that upload, download, check times, etc, etc. during a game - whether they cause some of these warps.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 06:01:21 PM »
On the one hand, disabling collisions would be pretty stupid, as it takes away most of the racecraft, if you can just plough through any racing line you want. What I'm really sort of brainstorming here is if there is a conceivable solution that we can convince KS of to avoid these warp wrecks. I would think, as we've often said, that if a car suddenly jumps backwards 50m for no apparent reason, to disable collisions for a second or two would be feasible, but I don't know the intricacies of how the netcode and prediction works. But so long as KS keep saying there's no issue, anything like that is going to fall on deaf ears.

I thought disabling collisions altogether, as a server setting, might be a relatively easy workaround for KS to implement, to avoid warp hits. But on further thought, that wouldn't be much fun either. Maybe if as well the screen went progressively darker the more you overlapped with another car? When a car flick backs with a warp, the "impact" is usually only for a split-second, so your screen would just flicker for a split-second, but you wouldn't actually hit anything.  If you were trying to deliberately drive through a car mid-corner, the screen would be darker for longer, and the risk of crashing would be a disincentive.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 07:56:34 PM »
I think there could be a few things done to urtger diagnose the problem our end.

1. Run a league race with no 3rd party apps at all on anyone's systems.
2. Trial a league race on one of Kunos rackservice.org servers.
3. Create a monitor app to analyse car positional data from the new UDP plugin interface.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 08:06:32 PM »
All the rack service hosts are in Europe though, aren't they? That would introduce high pings into the equation.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 09:10:24 PM »
We just got told by Kunos that high long is not an issue!! Why not test it?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 12:26:37 AM »
Hi ping, you mean, I suppose. It would be good to test some other servers, because for all I know, the cloud hosted server is causing warping. Although then you'd think everyone would be warping at once, like when the flow control server setting was introduced and all cars started flying in the air.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 08:21:50 AM »
I tried a race on one of their rackservice.org servers last night and it was a warp-fest. I seemed to be pretty solid but many of the other cars were warping all over the place.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 08:38:59 AM »
I tried a race on one of their rackservice.org servers last night and it was a warp-fest. I seemed to be pretty solid but many of the other cars were warping all over the place.
Interesting. Do you think it was just you warping? That would be the case of everyone else warped at the same time.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 09:27:54 AM »
Do not know if its sad or crazy we came to this poll,the 2 questions are litterally demoralizing,either way the consumer is loosing big time.
If kunos say there is no such warping collision where these error come from?  those apps?,,server?..a combination of everybody internet connection output?
I race Iracing once a week and must admit the online experience is way better but a mile from being good.Going through others cars and not geting a scratch is not common but is  recurrent(especially at starts) and it has been like this for years.The collision model for both AC and Iracing is almost a joke,and it seem that is difficult to address,i understand...probably.

For example in the last race at barber Nathan goes long(clearly) but in the replay the 2 cars visually never came in to contact even though the game showed the car spinning around Nathan soon declared that it was not his fault but the "netcode" ,everybody uses this definition eventhough nobody knows the meaning.I showed him the replay and told him not to make excuses 8) he went long the game registere a contact but we cant see it.......my question is.....can i have my money back????     ahahahaaaa :-*

The car going around with the XGN colours is me...heheeee
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 09:29:47 AM by Simone »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 09:51:15 AM »
Interesting. Do you think it was just you warping? That would be the case of everyone else warped at the same time.
Based on our experience of how to tell if you are the one warping I'd say that I was rock solid. The other cars seemed to be warping into each other. Big random jumps. They were mostly low pings.

It was funny actually. I started about 9th on the grid at Spa out of about 17. Got beaten up in the first corner - survived - damage must have been off. Finished 3rd or 4th. Lots of players seemed to give up or crash out. You could barely overtake because of the jumping around.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 10:27:55 PM »
Just did a lap on one Marty's servers. Phil and I warped into each other from about 5 cars lengths away. Nit sure who warped but definitely the same bug as before.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 07:13:41 AM »
I'm pretty sure that was due to Minorating Gratulin.  When a player joins, for some reason it causes a warp and someone had just joined when I noticed you both talking about it in chat.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal