Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 2: Silverstone International Chat

Author Topic: Round 2: Silverstone International Chat  (Read 77128 times)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
Re: Round 2: Silverstone International Chat
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2014, 10:13:36 AM »
What do you use to capture with Marty?

NV shadow play works fairly well for me now.

Damn it. I need to upgrade.

Offline DarrenM

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2014, 10:30:16 AM »
You could also try Open Broadcaster Software. It's designed for streaming to twitch etc, but you can also stream to a file. I've only tried it with iRacing but it didn't seem to impact my frame rates.

https://obsproject.com/

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2014, 12:11:01 PM »
You could also try Open Broadcaster Software. It's designed for streaming to twitch etc, but you can also stream to a file. I've only tried it with iRacing but it didn't seem to impact my frame rates.

https://obsproject.com/

I will have to check it out. thanks Darren.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »
I'll agree with you both.
There should never be 'coasting' between throttle and brake (and no overlap either) but sometimes 'coasting' between brake and throttle (re-application) is beneficial in settling the car, allowing you to re-applicate the throttle quicker. ;)

But all this is starting to get into 'style', for I know Bird and I disagree on the throttle/brake overlap issue. 8)
Listen to all, believe none until you've tried for yourself. ;)

I agree 100%.

Dick,
I think the best thing is try to minimise your coasting and cut it down as much as possible with out it taking to much of your attention. I will apply brakes, allowing for a tiny bit of coasting, through the apex, and then get on the gas smoothly. This sort of style of very beneficial to tire life and if we ever do some longer races conserving tire is a must. With the BMW sometimes I am on the "gas" before the apex but I always allow a 1/2 second of coast before I apply power. I never seem to have issues with the fronts of my tires only rears from to much gas if I'm not careful. As Bacchulum said it is really getting more into the nitty griddy of driving style now.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2014, 01:14:11 PM »
I'll agree with you both.
There should never be 'coasting' between throttle and brake (and no overlap either) but sometimes 'coasting' between brake and throttle (re-application) is beneficial in settling the car, allowing you to re-applicate the throttle quicker. ;)

But all this is starting to get into 'style', for I know Bird and I disagree on the throttle/brake overlap issue. 8)
Listen to all, believe none until you've tried for yourself. ;)

I agree 100%.

Dick,
I think the best thing is try to minimise your coasting and cut it down as much as possible with out it taking to much of your attention. I will apply brakes, allowing for a tiny bit of coasting, through the apex, and then get on the gas smoothly. This sort of style of very beneficial to tire life and if we ever do some longer races conserving tire is a must. With the BMW sometimes I am on the "gas" before the apex but I always allow a 1/2 second of coast before I apply power. I never seem to have issues with the fronts of my tires only rears from to much gas if I'm not careful. As Bacchulum said it is really getting more into the nitty griddy of driving style now.

Thanks to everyone! I'm regretting using the word 'coasting' lol. I probably should have said de-accelerate, I guess that is coasting though..
anyway, I think I know what people are trying to say. Either should be breaking or somewhere on the accelerator, not necessarily full throttle though.

Bird was giving me some lessons the other night, even with him sandbagging I noticed he was way quicker out of the corners, even when I got a 1/2 descent apex.
It all has to come together in the corners, slow in, fast out. I'm learning... fast in means wide and slow out at best.
I'm picking breaking zones a lot better. Break pressure though.. hmm.
Picking the acceleration point in the apex.... hmm

My times are improving at Silverstone. But I will still need to throw a few bags of cement in the boots of all other competitors... wait, did I just say that out loud?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »
Oh, hell yes, the throttle-during-braking :)  No I did not mean that.
Sorry if I did not express myself clearly; I mean as a general rule of thumb, avoid coasting.  It's all just lost time. 
This is not my idea; it's basic racing know-how (afaik).

I do coast sometimes too, but rarely, it's basically error correction only.  I try not to do it, ever.   
Usually you can apply a bit of throttle, and the car will turn better, rather than coasting. (Especially in these cars!)  Bit of throttle=not losing speed. 
When you're coasting you're actually losing speed.  Especially in a corner.  You might as well brake later, trail brake, and apply throttle.   

It all adds up!

Having said all that, we should look at telemetry results, especially from Darren, to learn how to drive quickly ;)

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2014, 02:03:02 PM »
Thankfully I smashed Wally's time by 0.048, very important to have this physiological advantage knowing I AM QUICKER  :o

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »
I use coasting a fair bit if using the brakes would shift the balance of the car too much.  Braking slightly is quicker but I find that coasting can be more consistent.  Eg would be the corner coming onto hanger straight at Silverstone Int.  I normally brake slightly early and then coast for a tenth of a second to get the car turned in without sliding before getting the power down.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2014, 04:24:45 PM »
Got the DTM going a little quicker  ;)

Thats with a bit of coast to entry on turn 4 as I think its the most critical corner on track for a fast lap. Exit there can be a difference of .5 seconds by the time you get to the end of the next straight. Even this lap I had some opposite lock from apex to exit and I braked too late into t2 costing some time.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »
Thankfully I smashed Wally's time by 0.048, very important to have this physiological advantage knowing I AM QUICKER  :o
Pffft, it's race pace that counts, under pressure :D
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2014, 05:15:07 PM »
Well done Marty! Good effort to mix it with those no-bodies above you ;)

Are these races going to be 12 laps each Wally?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2014, 06:08:30 PM »
Well done Marty! Good effort to mix it with those no-bodies above you ;)

Are these races going to be 12 laps each Wally?
16 and 20. See the signup thread.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Rolz

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2014, 08:36:41 PM »

16 and 20. See the signup thread.
[/quote]

think of ur fuel levels everyone...   ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2014, 08:50:41 PM »

My little car will be over-flowing after the last race!

I still maintain that Achilles Heels Racing was the subject of a sinister sabotage attempt from a rival team which resulted in a loss of fuel in the final race for both drivers.  Perhaps the old "sugar-in-the-fuel-tank-while-they-are-distracted-by-Bird-doing-doughnuts-in-the-pits" trick eventually blocked the injectors.
Achilles Heels will not let this outrage be swept under the rug, and if I happen to get a red-shell pick-up you others better watch out!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 08:55:23 PM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2014, 09:15:44 PM »

My little car will be over-flowing after the last race!

I still maintain that Achilles Heels Racing was the subject of a sinister sabotage attempt from a rival team which resulted in a loss of fuel in the final race for both drivers.  Perhaps the old "sugar-in-the-fuel-tank-while-they-are-distracted-by-Bird-doing-doughnuts-in-the-pits" trick eventually blocked the injectors.
Achilles Heels will not let this outrage be swept under the rug, and if I happen to get a red-shell pick-up you others better watch out!

If you noticed the rear side panels of the car we have been given some jerry cans for the next race, there is one in the boot with the 2 dogs  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal