Xtreme Gaming Network

S12R3: Misano Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S12R3: Misano Post-Race Chat  (Read 11095 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S12R3: Misano Post-Race Chat
« on: June 21, 2016, 10:10:21 PM »
RACE RESULTS

Penalties: Race 2, lap 1: Matthew ran into the side of Jeremy on turn 2 when he moved towards the apex, not keeping to his side of the track. 80 kg ballast penalty in race 2 next round.

Round Points

NameQualRace 1Race 2BonusTotal
Marty
Matthew111
Phil.8
Bacchulum
hylas
Jeremy
Freezer
Chap111
Wally
Mael
Rob
Bafs17
Vipergod
Doobs
AJ
Congratulations to Marty on the round win, and Matthew and Marty on the individual race wins.

Season Podium
Marty consolidates his lead, and Phil moves into 3rd place:

1. Marty, 181
2. Mathew111, 168
3. Phil.8, 159

For the first time this season, Marty didn't post the fastest race lap, with Phil.8 setting the fastest lap in his Ferrari in race 2, a 1:36.063.

There's also a few rivalries appearing. Unsuprisingly, Chap has become my rival. I spent a good amount of time following him around this round.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:52:42 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: S12R3: Misano Post-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 10:55:11 PM »
Any conciliatory bonus points for hitting the immovable cones?  ;D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 10:59:48 PM »
Where were they?!?!?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:03:56 PM »
Where were they?!?!?

They were just after turn 3, the ones at the 2nd last corner was normal. I tested them also. Just doing my duty as a back-marker to test all trackside objects.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 11:14:06 PM »
No practice on a track I haven't seen for a long while so spent about an hour before the race just doing laps to familiarise.
Couldn't quite get it together in qual.  Low fuel made the car pretty twitchy so started 10th.
R1 Despite a slowish jump I grabbed two spots on the first lap and pushed on.  Aiming to pit after 11 laps I realised about 7 laps in that fuel would be a bit to tight so eased off a bit.  This allowed Chap11 to close in and we pitted together.  I overshot my box a bit and he came out in front.  Now with plenty of fuel I was able to pit the foot down and eventually managed to grab the spot back after some hard fought laps and get home 7th.
R2 Better start this time and with some spinners in the first turns I benefited and jumped to 4th.  Couldn't quite keep with the front guys. A few laps later I managed to spin myself onto the infield before T4.  Sliding out of control across the grass I was sure I was going to collect a few cars as I reentered but stopped back on track with about an inch to spare.  Ran with Bafs and Hylas for a few laps but once Bafs spun I spent the rest of the race lapping on my own.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 11:16:37 PM »
I hadnt noticed any cones but I guess I was trying to stay on the black stuff.  ;D

Qualy was a fun battle as I got some traffic on a couple laps and there were a few quick laps put in by others. On my last lap I knew I needed to put in a pretty solid lap to get Matthew and just snuck it in on a clear track for pole.

Race 1 Jeremy got an awesome start from 3rd and got me around the outside from t1 finishing it out of t3. From there I just tried to chase him down but he didnt give me any good looks really. About lap 6 he went wide at 3 and lost the rear going for a bit of a half spin inside 4. I wasnt sure where he was but then his car slid back across the track. I had to take evasive action to avoid contact and this let matthew past us both.

From there I tried again to Pass Jeremy and it never looked like happening. I decided to pit 1 lap sooner then planned if they stayed out and try to get an undercut. I put in a 100% commited outlap and was glad to see only Matthew was ahead next lap so I managed to jump Jeremy on the stop.

I then tried all I could to pass Matthew but just like Jeremy he drove too well not really giving me a proper chance. In the end I pressed as hard as possible to end up .1 down at the finish.

Race 2 I got a reasonable start but had to go a little defensive to keep the boys behind in the first section. Unfortunatly I saw the guys get together behind and so had a bit of a gap early, I then just pushed on trying to make a gap. I was trying to get the fastest lap in the second stint and after a pretty good lap I had a big gearbox grind. This nearly ended my race with a few to go and so I pretty much cruised home trying to make it to the finish as I had about a 12 second gap with a couple to go it would have been silly to keep pushing kill the gearbox and DNF when I could cruise home for the win.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:35:06 AM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 12:09:45 AM »
I was around Freezer, Rob and Chap most of the night, with some good passing here and there - usually me being passed! I don't know why, but those guys often seemed to get a big burst of speed on me, maybe after small mistakes by me and not getting good corner exits. I'm sure Chap noticed how slippery my car looked at times. The ferrari is a handful - it seems to be very slippery, or maybe that's just my setup. It turns in OK, but then coasting through the corner, or with a fairly neutral throttle, it just wants to rotate too much by itself, without much throttle. It's a real balancing act. I might look at the Lotus for the remainder of the season - not sure yet.

But the night was a good one for me, with some loose moments, but no spins or crashes.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 09:30:19 AM »
Looking at the laptimes of the last 4 laps in race 1 both Matthew and I had laptimes quicker then we did in qualy.

Matthews last 4 laps 1:36.209, 1:36.122, 1:36.002, 1:36.348 with his qualy lap being 1:36.440 for 2nd.

My last 4 laps 1:35.872, 1:36.278, 1:35.834, 1:36.096 with my qualy time of 1:36.127 for pole.

At the end of all that the final gap was .145 which shows I put on as much pressure as possible but it still wasnt enough. Both Matthew and Jeremy drove a great race shame they had contact race 2 as it likely would have been real close again.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:36:17 AM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 09:51:53 AM »
It's good to hear you had close racing. The track would have been fully rubbered up by then too, compared to qually.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 10:11:33 AM »
The ferrari is a handful - it seems to be very slippery, or maybe that's just my setup. It turns in OK, but then coasting through the corner, or with a fairly neutral throttle, it just wants to rotate too much by itself, without much throttle. It's a real balancing act. I might look at the Lotus for the remainder of the season - not sure yet.

the ferrari was difficult here I thought, no matter what i did , i.e full downforce , low downforce, cambers , toe , dampers, the lap times were similar and just felt as had no turn in, mid corner or exit grip
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 11:22:11 AM »
It's good to hear you had close racing. The track would have been fully rubbered up by then too, compared to qually.

It was a good battle, I had thought passing was going to be more possible but thats always been the issue with f1 cars. If drivers are closely matched and unless there is a long enough straight with a good draft it really isnt likely to pass unless the guy in front makes a mistake.

Spa will quite likely throw up quite a few more passing opportunities, Misano was a fun track to drive but lack of long straights made it tough to pass guys running a similar pace. The best place was the back straight and only once I had half a look there but had to back out as I was not quite far enough up to make it without contact or driving him off the road on exit.

With Jeremy I managed to get inside on the last turn side by side after he made an error exiting the second last but I couldnt finish that move either. Still it wasnt really like either of them were holding me up there was only a couple corners I needed to brake more when following. I dont know how much the aero was effecting following closely but I couldnt quite get close enough into apexes to get a run out of corners so possibly dirty air was doing enough to also make it hard to get into a passing position.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 11:23:24 AM »
The ferrari is a handful - it seems to be very slippery, or maybe that's just my setup. It turns in OK, but then coasting through the corner, or with a fairly neutral throttle, it just wants to rotate too much by itself, without much throttle. It's a real balancing act. I might look at the Lotus for the remainder of the season - not sure yet.

the ferrari was difficult here I thought, no matter what i did , i.e full downforce , low downforce, cambers , toe , dampers, the lap times were similar and just felt as had no turn in, mid corner or exit grip
You were still bloody fast!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 11:27:29 AM »

Even the lotus here higher or lower aero made pretty much the same laptimes. I ended up going max front and rear just for high speed aero balance to avoid any understeer. The higher aero also gave me more confidencr to push harder each lap and could avoid errors better so was likely quicker over a race due to better overall consistancy.

Spa will be interesting as there you can go high and low aero in most cars for much the same pace. But for racing it may be best to go low for extra speed to make passing a bit easier. Less aero sacrifices speed in the middle sector but its not really a place others will be able to pass and being faster on the straights will be a fair advantage over someone running higher aero if you can get similar laptimes.

Possibly the redbull higher aero option is still quickest as long as your out of draft range from those behind and leading. Back in traffic though youd want less aero which will be more of a handfull but should help to pass cars if needed.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:29:49 AM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 02:18:01 PM »
The thing with lower aero too is that you may sacrifice stability and safety. One bad spin might lose you all  the time you gained with a little more speed.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 04:34:22 PM »
That is definately how I got past you.  Power down on the Lotus is pretty good. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal