Xtreme Gaming Network

S13R6: Silverstone International Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S13R6: Silverstone International Post-Race Chat  (Read 20045 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: S13R6: Silverstone International Post-Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 11:35:13 AM »
Looking at Race 3 results the contacts seem a bit screwed up, on the last lap I supposedly never hit Jeremy but he and Guybrush did hit eachother.

On both those last chicane incidents I did turn in tighter when I saw the door closing ahead and both times got the left wheels on the sausage curb at which point it was gone so sorry. Guybrush actually left more room then Jeremy did when I hit him, I dont know if I kept it off the sausage curb I could have pulled up in time to avoid both collisions but was just silly errors on my part.

Here is a video I made from race 3, which is probably my worst performance so far lol but I guess best to put it up and show what happened.  :-[

Key points in the video,

First half of the race failing to pass Jeremy

7:15 Matthew passed both me and Jeremy after I hit him in the straight, maybe a bit of a late Max type defensive move but there was still enough room to go right and stay on track so I wasnt exactly squeezed. As Jeremy ran deep into next corner after the contact I didnt want to take advantage of the contact and stayed behind. This let Matthew pass us both.

10:00 Guybrush assisted me past Jeremy.  ;D

10:30 hit Guybrush as a nice thanks to my team mate.  :'(

19:30 contact with Jeremy at the last chicane on the last lap. I was a long way back and not really trying a move on Jeremy, seeing he was mid track he also needed to brake harder for apex which made him slow more then I expected. I was trying to hold inside line tight with Guybrush outside, the door was closed pretty hard and no room so I went left onto the curb then jumped into Jeremy to repeat the move on Guybrush.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 11:40:40 AM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 12:27:04 PM »
In my opinion Freezer's races should be presented at the university of how to do defensive driving! Spend so much time in the packs behind him.

No need to convince me. :D Seems I spent a whole lot of time chasing his bumper... ;D
Yes, Freezer is leading in the season "Hunted"  tally.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 12:28:22 PM »
another shocker, hate reverse grid, always taken out and hit, i obviously do it wrong by giving people room, time to get the arms out and put up with penalties

Yeah take a leaf out of Grat's book ;)
:(((((( really unsure whether it's a compliment or a criticism... :(

Haha maybe a bit of both. I just remember one overtake last night where you did force your way through a bit with some side by side contact, but hey that's racing I guess.
I think you mean the one in race 1, lap 12. Watching the replay from your cockpit, it looks indeed I was forcing it quite a bit, sorry. I think it's because I appear in your screen only at the end, while on the small straight between the two croners. But if you look at it from my cockpit, it looks quite different: I do the whole "link" corner on the outside of you, and then I just try to get a reasonably mid-road line to prepare the next corner (right into the straight). I guess I just thought you were going to the left a bit more there, as that would be the normal line. So I ended up cutting a bit in front of you. Sorry: did not mean to.

But I will admit I am being a bit more aggressive the last few races. Honestly, as I said before: the first few races I was trying to be over-careful and I noticed it was mostly just confusing everybody else around. Yesterday I completely screwed up my distance at t1, race 1, so that is a well-deserved penalty (apologies again to insomniac). But for the rest of the races, I thought I was racing tough (e.g. my pass on Jeremy in race 2 or my squeezing between two cars at Beckett at lap 1, race 2) but fair. But please let me know if otherwise. I definitely do not want to annoy anybody (I already do that in real life, so at least I try to be a nice fellow in my virtual one :)) )
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 11:10:31 PM by grat »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »
It's all part of the balancing act, isn't it, how much aggression to "dial in". You need the "right" amount. Not enough, and you go backwards. Too much, and you cause accidents. Finding that balance is all part of the fun :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 12:35:43 PM »
It's all part of the balancing act, isn't it, how much aggression to "dial in". You need the "right" amount. Not enough, and you go backwards. Too much, and you cause accidents. Finding that balance is all part of the fun :)
True! I guess I was -50% aggression in the first few races. Ok-ish in Imola, +50% in Baskerville, +15% in Silverstone. At least I'm slowly converging. By the last race of the last round, I might actually do well... :(

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 12:58:15 PM »
another shocker, hate reverse grid, always taken out and hit, i obviously do it wrong by giving people room, time to get the arms out and put up with penalties

Yeah take a leaf out of Grat's book ;)
:(((((( really unsure whether it's a compliment or a criticism... :(

Haha maybe a bit of both. I just remember one overtake last night where you did force your way through a bit with some side by side contact, but hey that's racing I guess.
I think you mean the one in race 1, lap 12.

May have been but no worries. I can't really remember now, but think I was surprised you went for the pass when you did and I had to take a bit of adhesive action and we rubbed panels. All good, you're much quicker than me and I often don't fight too much with faster people as better to loose one position then take both cars out.

I've also turned up my race 'aggression' level since coming back from my AC break. Before I'd just give in too easily being afraid of taking somebody else out due to my lack of skill, and understanding how much space there really is on the track, especially with single monitor. I definitely fight a bit more now and give just about as much room as I feel I should instead of half a track and loosing position.

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 01:03:52 PM »
Apparently I had a couple of contacts, one with insomniac and one with Phil but don't recall either. Hope I wasn't at fault guys. As usual I forgot to save my replays.... :)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 01:09:28 PM »
Apparently I had a couple of contacts, one with insomniac and one with Phil but don't recall either. Hope I wasn't at fault guys. As usual I forgot to save my replays.... :)

I think there is a bug in contacts in results, race 3 I clearly had contact with Jeremy but in results Guybrush gets the contact. In replay Guy had no contact there so somethibg has gone askew. Not a big deal as its just there as data to view with no effect on anything else but for some reason there its wrong at times this round.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 01:54:17 PM »
Yeah Joe, I had a good time chasing you and pressuring you. You didn't give an inch. It was a great battle.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 02:49:18 PM »
In my opinion Freezer's races should be presented at the university of how to do defensive driving! Spend so much time in the packs behind him.

No need to convince me. :D Seems I spent a whole lot of time chasing his bumper... ;D
Yes, Freezer is leading in the season "Hunted"  tally.
Well I may not be the fastest here but I reckon my race craft is going okay! :) :)  However no amount of race craft was going to compensate for a boot load of ballast in race 2.
Good overall nights racing.  To much to recount but I had some close battles with the usual suspects ( you know who you are ).  Once again it was about using the 370's corner speed to offset the loss in the straights.  I did cop a couple of taps and one spin but also had many door handle to door handle battles which was great.  Definitely enjoying the challenge....!

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 03:27:13 PM »

I think there is a bug in contacts in results, race 3 I clearly had contact with Jeremy but in results Guybrush gets the contact. In replay Guy had no contact there so somethibg has gone askew. Not a big deal as its just there as data to view with no effect on anything else but for some reason there its wrong at times this round.

If MR uses the same contacts report, I wonder if that could be incorrect as well.

As far my night...

Race 1 and 2 were straight forward.  I feel like I'm almost cheating off the grid having all the grip available from 4 wheels.  The front left was overheating after 6 or so laps but still manageable.

Race 3 I decided to go to the back of the grid, the same as last week, for some action.  It was fun coming through the pack and had no major contacts which was a surprise.  Managed to get past Marty and Jeremy but then got a tap which sent me back a few spots.  Got up to Jeremy again and Marty got past, but then the two of them came together at the last chicane on the last lap, so I was happy to do a Bradbury and clean up the crumbs!

Good night.  I think the reverse racing is a lot better on some of the bigger tracks.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 06:01:20 PM »
If MR uses the same contacts report, I wonder if that could be incorrect as well.

I think the reverse racing is a lot better on some of the bigger tracks.

I think the contact report is just a bug in Wally's log parse. With MR on the new 2.1 plugin for servers you can enable a contact report live.

Type /mr help in seever it will give all commands.

I also agree with the racing being better on the bigger tracks in reverse grid. Driving slower cars on smaller tracks just makes it the same as bigger cars on bigger tracks. It brings in the same issues they have to the slower cars. Put them on bigger tracks driving them may be more boring but racing gets better as there are more passing chances. That is unless your me trying to pass Jeremy.

Likewise put faster cars on smaller tracks makes them more technical and brings out some passing chances as it will be a bit more of a challenge to some.

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 06:09:34 PM »
Race1: made some quick progress through the field getting lucky being in the right place at the right time, couldnt do much about marty making the same progress ahead of me so i settled for p3.

Race 2: Was a lot more work involved in this race lol but for far less a result! through no error just involved in way more battles, was good fun and close racing in the pack coming home in 8th

Race3: Got a decent start slotting in behind marty grabbing a couple of places until we met up with jeremy who defended to hell and back lol was to watch and thats all i could do as there wasnt any space for my to put my nose in as they were battling. I had to laugh when they ran wide and i effortlessly rounded them both up lol. From there i put my head down to pull a gap and catch rob in 2nd which i managed with a few laps to go :)

Good viewing that race vid marty
do you even motorsports?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 08:21:54 PM »

In the server log file, there is this, close together:

COLLISION BETWEEN: Jeremy [Struggle Street Racing Crew] AND Marty [Achilles Heels] SPEED: 37.186073 WORLD POS: [-375.385895,-5.415141,535.748413] REL POS: [-0.665925,-0.080279,1.920462]

COLLISION BETWEEN: Guybrush Threepwood [Achilles Heels] AND Marty [Achilles Heels] SPEED: 52.0196 WORLD POS: [-367.037720,-5.326462,533.762817] REL POS: [0.905973,-0.060435,-1.537188]

COLLISION BETWEEN: Marty [Achilles Heels] AND Guybrush Threepwood [Achilles Heels] SPEED: 23.089453 WORLD POS: [-367.550629,-5.352783,533.828491] REL POS: [-0.811738,0.111327,1.672250]
COLLISION BETWEEN: Marty [Achilles Heels] AND Jeremy [Struggle Street Racing Crew] SPEED: 45.251522 WORLD POS: [-382.009735,-5.492460,539.792725] REL POS: [0.848421,-0.299109,-0.323644]

I haven't watched the replay, but that's what the server thinks happened.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 08:46:31 PM »
COLLISION BETWEEN: Marty [Achilles Heels] AND Guybrush Threepwood [Achilles Heels] SPEED: 23.089453 WORLD POS: [-367.550629,-5.352783,533.828491] REL POS: [-0.811738,0.111327,1.672250]
COLLISION BETWEEN: Marty [Achilles Heels] AND Jeremy [Struggle Street Racing Crew] SPEED: 45.251522 WORLD POS: [-382.009735,-5.492460,539.792725] REL POS: [0.848421,-0.299109,-0.323644]

That looks correct as the last collision was between me and Jeremy, but in results for race 3 it has me as having no contact on the last lap and has Jeremy and Gurbrush having contact. If you watch the last minute of my race video you will see clearly Guybrush didnt hit anyone and the only contact was with Jeremy and Me.

That log seems to have it but it correct its just not how its shown in results for some reason.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal